Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nila

Questions about Spironolactone (Aldactone)

Hey everyone,

So I've suffered with acne for, I could easily say about 10-12 years. I've tried anti-biotics, topicals, birth control pills, accutane, and now aldactone + differin.

I got off accutane about 2.5 years ago, and my skin was AMAZING. It is honestly a miracle drug. But then, this September, all of a sudden I started getting little bumps EVERYWHERE on my face and my neck :cry: I have some acne on my back and chest as well. I honestly feel like SHIT.

So, I went to the dermatologist recently (since my last one retired) and she recommended aldactone over antibiotics.

I keep reading that accutane is usually the last choice, and I'm scared that aldactone won't work for me. I'm on 50mg a day only. I don't have cystic acne, but I'm still scared that it won't go away.

So here are my questions:

1. How long on average does it take to kick in? Like, when will my face start clearing up (not fully, just when will I see a difference?)

2. Any long term side effects I should be worried about?

3. How long are people usually on this medication? I've been reading months and even years!

I really miss having (almost smooth) flawless skin with no redness. This is really depressing.

By the way, I'm on the ortho-evra patch for birth control. I've been on the patch since May and the acne came back in September.

Edited by nila

Hey everyone,

So I've suffered with acne for, I could easily say about 10-12 years. I've tried anti-biotics, topicals, birth control pills, accutane, and now aldactone + differin.

I got off accutane about 2.5 years ago, and my skin was AMAZING. It is honestly a miracle drug. But then, this September, all of a sudden I started getting little bumps EVERYWHERE on my face and my neck :cry: I have some acne on my back and chest as well. I honestly feel like SHIT.

So, I went to the dermatologist recently (since my last one retired) and she recommended aldactone over antibiotics.

I keep reading that accutane is usually the last choice, and I'm scared that aldactone won't work for me. I'm on 50mg a day only. I don't have cystic acne, but I'm still scared that it won't go away.

So here are my questions:

1. How long on average does it take to kick in? Like, when will my face start clearing up (not fully, just when will I see a difference?)

2. Any long term side effects I should be worried about?

3. How long are people usually on this medication? I've been reading months and even years!

I really miss having (almost smooth) flawless skin with no redness. This is really depressing.

By the way, I'm on the ortho-evra patch for birth control. I've been on the patch since May and the acne came back in September.

1) It's just like accutane in a way. It's different for everyone; it can take anywhere from 2 weeks to 5 months to really start clearing. Most people it's about 3 months. If it still isn't clear after 6 months, than it isn't for you. Give it the whole 6 months, though. It takes a while to kick in. Also, just like accutane, it may get worse before it gets better. The oil should start being under control in about 2 weeks, though. What I mean is that your face should start becoming oil free in about 2 weeks.

2) You will need to get your blood test done, because it messes with potassium levels. If it gets too high, that could really effect your heart. Some people say after like a year their hair starts falling out... Some say their hair grows more. Also, the first week or so you might feel drowsy, tired, weird/blurred vision, head ache. This is normal, but if it lasts more than a week, tell your doctor. You might lose weight, and you might have to pee more frequently. Also, your breast will most likely become bigger, and more round? IDK if that's the word to use. Some girls went up a whole letter size.

3) Ya, some people are on it that long. People with heart problems may be on it for their lifetime. If it's a serious heart problem, they woud get a more powerful diuretic. But for acne, some peope are on it for 2 months, some for 2+ years. I'm also on spiro: it's been about 1 month. I think I'll stay on it for a year or so. Just for your info, I'm a male.

Spiro is a great drug for acne, and it works on almost everybody: I would say 99.7% of people. Good Luck

Edited by Buke

Another question I have..

Are the effects similar to Accutane, in that I cannot wax, get a tattoo, sun exposure, etc?

No, they aren't.

Spiro is an androgen blocker, operating at hormonal level. Accutane works differently, as a vitamin-A derivate, by speeding up skin renewal drastically and thereby making the skin thinner and more sensitive.

Thanks so much! That's been very helpful.

I'm on day 7 and my skin freakin BURNS and is RED :( I feel so ugly, but I'm hoping to get over this first bump in the road soon. I guess the experience is different for everyone on how long the redness and burning and flaking skin last for.

Thanks so much! That's been very helpful.

I'm on day 7 and my skin freakin BURNS and is RED :( I feel so ugly, but I'm hoping to get over this first bump in the road soon. I guess the experience is different for everyone on how long the redness and burning and flaking skin last for.

Hi Nila,

How are you doing? I'm about to start taking 50 mg of Spiro and I'm a little nervous. Took accutane 4 times over the course of many years, but this last time I couldn't tolerate it....not even 20 mg. I have mild to moderate acne, but when my face is "clear" it doesn't look it, because of hyperpigmentation....

Anyway, are you still taking it? How are you doing?

Hi Buke,

What time of day did you take Spiro? I need to pick up my prescription...I want to start but kinda nervous .....

I'm hearing it makes you tired, urinate more often....with that in mind, do you suggest taking it towards the end of the (work day) day, say 4:00 pm or so? I got the impression that I shouldn't take it bed time... don't want to be up all night going to the bathroom, but I was hoping to offset the effects (assuming I experience them) for the majority of the work day....

....for example, do the effects of possible fatigue and urinating more occur during the first 4-6 hours after you take it, or does it matter?

...and one last thing (forgive me if I missed it in a previous post) in your experience, how long did the initial IB last? It would be great to not have one, but if I do....I wonder how long I might need to uh, hide. :)

Hi Buke,

What time of day did you take Spiro? I need to pick up my prescription...I want to start but kinda nervous .....

I'm hearing it makes you tired, urinate more often....with that in mind, do you suggest taking it towards the end of the (work day) day, say 4:00 pm or so? I got the impression that I shouldn't take it bed time... don't want to be up all night going to the bathroom, but I was hoping to offset the effects (assuming I experience them) for the majority of the work day....

....for example, do the effects of possible fatigue and urinating more occur during the first 4-6 hours after you take it, or does it matter?

...and one last thing (forgive me if I missed it in a previous post) in your experience, how long did the initial IB last? It would be great to not have one, but if I do....I wonder how long I might need to uh, hide. :)

Hi The Reader,

I figured I'd answer your questions as more experiences will give you a broader picture of what to expect.

I started Spiro at 50 mg for 2 months. The only side effects I had were thirst and more frequent urination, but it wasn't bad. Now I'm on 100 mg. I have noticed becoming more tired, but it really seems to happen to me just before bedtime. I've been needing to go to sleep earlier, but this could be due to a number of other things so I'm not really sure. I can't say I've noticed any more fatigue during the day. I take my first pill a half hour or so after I wake up and my second 4 1/2 hours before bed.

I did get a little bit of an initial breakout the third week I was at 50 mg, but it was just super tiny pimples (I usually get cysts) and they went away within a week.

Another thing to note is that it might affect your cycle. In my case, this is a benefit because I've never had a really regular cycle. My cycle does seem to be regulating. The last cycle was 54 days long and my most recent has been 50 days. Since I haven't been on the 100 mg that long I'll wait to see if my cycle comes earlier and earlier.

Hope you have a good experience on Spiro and that it works for you!

Hi Buke,

Hi The Reader,

I figured I'd answer your questions as more experiences will give you a broader picture of what to expect.

I started Spiro at 50 mg for 2 months. The only side effects I had were thirst and more frequent urination, but it wasn't bad. Now I'm on 100 mg. I have noticed becoming more tired, but it really seems to happen to me just before bedtime. I've been needing to go to sleep earlier, but this could be due to a number of other things so I'm not really sure. I can't say I've noticed any more fatigue during the day. I take my first pill a half hour or so after I wake up and my second 4 1/2 hours before bed.

I did get a little bit of an initial breakout the third week I was at 50 mg, but it was just super tiny pimples (I usually get cysts) and they went away within a week.

Another thing to note is that it might affect your cycle. In my case, this is a benefit because I've never had a really regular cycle. My cycle does seem to be regulating. The last cycle was 54 days long and my most recent has been 50 days. Since I haven't been on the 100 mg that long I'll wait to see if my cycle comes earlier and earlier.

Hope you have a good experience on Spiro and that it works for you!

Thank you for responding - I later realized I really shouldn't necessarily address my question to one person. I really like having the benefit of someone else's experiences before I do something, eventhough I know I have to just take it and see how it goes!!! I think I'll end up taking my first dose on Thursday this week. I'm not sure if I'm once or twice a day since I haven't picked up the prescription yet. If it made my tired before bedtime that would would be just fine...I've got a bad habit of staying up late and then having to start my day at 5:30 am and saying to myself each morning, "why did I stay up so daggone late?!" Thanks!

Edited by The Reader

Hi Buke,

Hi Reader.

I actually take my pill at night, because it can make you tired/lazy. Since it is a diuretic, it gets rid of the water in your body. That is why people urinate more often, and lose weight. I'm skinny, and don't have water weight; therefor, I don't use the bathroom any more than usual. I do recommend taking it ater in the day, perhaps after work. For the people who do urinate more often, it is for about 3 maybe 4 hours after you take the pill. I've been on spiro for about 2 months, and I'm still going through an initial breakout. It is different for all people. Some may get one for 2 weeks, some for 5 months. Some people may get it realy bad, and others ony a few pimples. it really depends on what mg you're on too. Usually people that are on a higher mg, the ib might be worse, but it would last for a shorter time than if you're on 25 or 50 mg. For the average person, they ib goes away at the start of the 4th month. I recommend getting an antibiotic or 2 during the ib to keep it under control. That's what I'm doing, I still have some acne, but not nearly as bad as if I weren't on anything. Antibiotics i recommend are doxycycline, bactrim, ciprofloxacin, ampicillin/amoxicillin. These are all very broad antibiotics. The broader, the better for acne. This is why clindamycin and erythromycin didn't work for me. They are only effective against gram positive bacteria, and not gram negative. Sorry, I'm getting carried away. Cya

If it helps, I've been on 100 mg for three weeks (I'm under 110lbs, female also taking Yasmin) and I haven't been tired and my cycle hasn't changed. I have needed to pee more but I've been drinking more water. I have not has an IB at all.