Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
metsandjets

Just a quick question...

I've had moderate acne for about 1-2 years. Last week, i was prescribed to epiduo, and was also recommended to use cetaphil. The results for the first week haave been excellent, but just one problem. my skin seems to be really flaky all day long.

any suggestions to fix this? thank you

Moved to the Topical Retinoids board.

Hey there,

I've been on my retinoid now for almost two months and have a few thoughts on this:

first of all, it's important to know that flaking in the beginning is normal, it works by getting your old skin off. But a lot of flaking, itching, and/or redness is bad, if this happens, DEFINITELY stop your treatment for a night or two until your skin gets back to normal.

I also suggest finding a moisturizer that is really calming, simple, and good for your skin. Here's a theory that I have about moisturizing on retinoids that crossed my mind today (just a theory, I'm happy to hear other people's takes on it). I've had a pretty bad IB on retin-A, like, 7 weeks straight of the worst acne of my whole life. My skin wasn't that irritated, but definitely flaky, so I moisturized a ton. Since I've always used cetaphil myself, I would end up putting it on 4-5 times a day sometimes. If you look up cetaphil, however, it does have some ingredients that are comedogenic (nearly all creams do it seems). It's probably not a big deal normally, but I think if you are applying it more than normal, maybe you are adding too much of the comedogenic stuff along with the good stuff, right? So I thought maybe this was exacerbating my IB. I have very dry skin and need to moisturize a lot, so recently switched to only using %100 jojoba oil (something completely non-comedogenic, my skin loves it) and my IB seems a lot less inflamed, and my skin more calm.

Could be coincidence, I don't know, it's just my pet theory.

Just be kind to your skin, find a good, simple moisturizer, and stick it out. good luck.