Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tv_viewer

How to get Accutane a second time

Please help me! I was on Accutane from January 2005-July 2005. Before starting, my acne was very severe and painful and covered most of my face. After Accutane my skin was very clear for 3 years.

I then started breaking out severely in December 2008, but it all was on my left cheek and chin. My skin was a mess until about May of this year when it started to calm down. Now that it's getting colder outside I'm breaking out again on my left side of my face, although not as severe as before. I am getting more and more cysts every day and know it'll get worse.

I've had acne for over 10 years (I'm 23). I've tried pretty much most prescription, non-prescription, and herbal remedies. Accutane was the only thing to work long term.

My concern is that my derm might deem my acne not serious enough to give me Accutane again. I scar easily and my acne is stubborn. I'm seeing my derm next Friday and worry that he won't let me take Accutane again and I'll have to continue on with my life feeling super depressed due to my acne.

I've attached a picture of me now. Is my skin "bad" enough to warrant a continuation of Accutane?post-97432-1258921623_thumb.jpg

post-97432-1258921623_thumb.jpg

If your derm won't give you accutane, find another who will. If you've tried pretty much everything else and you know accutane works for you, there's no point wasting your money and time on other treatments.

If your derm won't give you accutane, find another who will. If you've tried pretty much everything else and you know accutane works for you, there's no point wasting your money and time on other treatments.

Thank you :)

also, my skin wasn't much worse than yours, and I was prescribed accutane at my second visit. The derm basically said at my first visit that she'd probably prescribe accutane but for insurance reasons she gave me spiro to try first for 30 days.

also, my skin wasn't much worse than yours, and I was prescribed accutane at my second visit. The derm basically said at my first visit that she'd probably prescribe accutane but for insurance reasons she gave me spiro to try first for 30 days.

Thank you for your responses! I got a prescription today and start Monday.

How did you start so soon? I thought there was a 30 day waiting period. My skin looks just like the picture you posted, perhaps worse because I have godawful red marks. I haven't been on accutane before, my appointment is in the morning. I'm desperate to try it, any words of wisdom to help convince my derm to prescribe it to me?

How did you start so soon? I thought there was a 30 day waiting period. My skin looks just like the picture you posted, perhaps worse because I have godawful red marks. I haven't been on accutane before, my appointment is in the morning. I'm desperate to try it, any words of wisdom to help convince my derm to prescribe it to me?

She's in Canada so doesn't have to go through the US iPledge program.

Yeah, I live in Canada so the only waiting I had to do was for my blood test and it took 4 days. I convinced my derm by crying (not an act!) and showing him a picture of my acne at it's worst. Good luck :)