Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
flyboykp

Accutane..my last resort

So, my name is Kc and I have been suffering with cystic acne since I was 15. It started with one bump on my neck, then another on the back of my head and from there it was downhill. I went to my dermo and he gave me antibiotics which controlled it for about two years. The past two years of my life have been stressful, BIG TIME and I started breaking out with regular acne on my face(which was new). Soon I developed a tollerance for my minocycline and cysts began to develop all over me. I had then on my head, neck, chest, jawline and other random places. This was especially frustrating, I was in pain 24/7 and I was embarrassed, they were more than noticable. The worst was when people would ask what was wrong with me, they would look and wonder what was on me. I never wanted to leave the house, I skipped work several times because I was too disgusted with my appearance. I didnt want anyone to see me, I became extremely depressed and suicidal. Anyone who has had cystic acne knows the pain, it is tremendous. Everything is painful, having them on your head gives you a continuous headache, its like having a brain tumor, the pressure and pain in your head doesnt subside until the cyst is gone. Sleeping is nearly impossible because laying on your side means pushing on the one behind your ear and laying on your back means pushing on the one on your neck. Simple things like wearing sunglasses or taking a shower become a painful chore because of the pain inflicted everytime your brush against a full grown cyst. I think the lowest point for me was pulling out clumps of my own hair that had died because of the scar tissue left behind when a cyst on my scalp finally decided to dry up. Trying to explain to someone why you have bald patches on your head because of acne is impossible. It hurts and it feels like every last bit of your dignity has been taken from you. I havent taken my shirt off or gone swimming in a pool in 4 years. My life is controlled by this and you cant blame me, if you have ever dealt with this im sure you can sympathize. Life becomes a desperate attempt to remedy the hopeless situation at hand. Spending hours in the bathroom with a needle trying to drain a cyst so that you can find some relief. Running to the store everyday looking for something, anything that will help the physical and emotional pain you feel. Spending thousands of dollars on dermotologists visits, high end products, proactiv, murad, clearasil, biore, cortisone injections, and anything and everything to bandaid the true pain you feel inside. Slavery is the perfect word, you no longer have control, you live as a slave to such a brutal master. Dealing with it on your own only makes it worse, have you tried explaining this to a friend? What do they say? "It will go away" "Its just a phase your going through" "have you tried proactiv?" Its horrible to hear someone minimize the deep pain you are feeling, I felt extrememly alienated from the rest of the world. I am an extremely social person and I had turned into a hermit. I constantly made excuses not to go anywhere with my friends because I was simply to embarrassed to be seen. I have missed out on so much, I sometimes wonder if I will EVER achieve what I want to or if my appearance will always hold me back. I was told 4 years ago that I needed to take accutane and I didnt do it. I was too scared, I heard the stories and I told my dermo no. 4 years later here I am, I have tried everything and I am tired of this life. I am on my second week of accutane (claravis) and I am hoping for a miracle. I am tired of being alone, I have looked at this website so many times and it has helped me get to where I am today. I finally decided to join, I need people who understand, I am tired of people ignorantly telling me to get over it. I hope to find and give support here on my journey with this medicine. I am crossing my fingers and saying my prayers that I make it through this and it is worth it. I wish that for everyone on it and everyone who ever takes it. This could be the start to a new life and a new me.

Day 14:

Dry Dry Dry.

My faces is dry and flaky. My lips are chapped and cracked. I think I started my IB about 5 days into it, its pretty bad but bearable. Im not sure if it will get worse or better from here. I am relieved to not have oily skin for once.

Sorry for the rant, but I really needed to get it out to someone that i feel understands.

DAY 15:

I washed my face and mosturized when I woke up, I am nervous about moisturizing because that makes my skin oily and break out. Should I do it anyways or deal with the dry flaky skin all day?

What worked for me was I washed my face every 2 days since the accutane was killing my oile glands and I didn't want to add oil twice a day

Good Idea, maybe I will try it out and see how it goes. thanks!

Hey KC, welcome and good luck to you on your course! You will definitely find people on this site who can relate to your story and understand the effects acne can have to everyday life.

From what it sounds like, your acne seems to be pretty severe......and Accutane is by far the most effective treatment for severe cystic acne. So know that you are taking a step in the right direction.

As for moisturizing, you'll get different opinions based on what works for different people.....but what most derms recommend is washing twice daily with a gentle cleanser and follow with a non comedogenic moisturizer. My derm always tells me that even oily skin needs moisture (and you certainly won't be oily on the med :) ) and dry skin is more easily infected and takes longer to heal.

The IB can really suck, but once you're through that, it should only get better. Just hang in there, it can sometimes take several months to get noticeable results as I'm sure you have read. Good luck!

I only have very mild acne and only started having hormonal acne this year, im 17 and it's stressed the shit outta me, sometimes i don't wanna leave the house neither, i can only imagine what your going through with the cystic acne, good luck brooda, best wishes

So, my name is Kc and I have been suffering with cystic acne since I was 15. It started with one bump on my neck, then another on the back of my head and from there it was downhill. I went to my dermo and he gave me antibiotics which controlled it for about two years. The past two years of my life have been stressful, BIG TIME and I started breaking out with regular acne on my face(which was new). Soon I developed a tollerance for my minocycline and cysts began to develop all over me. I had then on my head, neck, chest, jawline and other random places. This was especially frustrating, I was in pain 24/7 and I was embarrassed, they were more than noticable. The worst was when people would ask what was wrong with me, they would look and wonder what was on me. I never wanted to leave the house, I skipped work several times because I was too disgusted with my appearance. I didnt want anyone to see me, I became extremely depressed and suicidal. Anyone who has had cystic acne knows the pain, it is tremendous. Everything is painful, having them on your head gives you a continuous headache, its like having a brain tumor, the pressure and pain in your head doesnt subside until the cyst is gone. Sleeping is nearly impossible because laying on your side means pushing on the one behind your ear and laying on your back means pushing on the one on your neck. Simple things like wearing sunglasses or taking a shower become a painful chore because of the pain inflicted everytime your brush against a full grown cyst. I think the lowest point for me was pulling out clumps of my own hair that had died because of the scar tissue left behind when a cyst on my scalp finally decided to dry up. Trying to explain to someone why you have bald patches on your head because of acne is impossible. It hurts and it feels like every last bit of your dignity has been taken from you. I havent taken my shirt off or gone swimming in a pool in 4 years. My life is controlled by this and you cant blame me, if you have ever dealt with this im sure you can sympathize. Life becomes a desperate attempt to remedy the hopeless situation at hand. Spending hours in the bathroom with a needle trying to drain a cyst so that you can find some relief. Running to the store everyday looking for something, anything that will help the physical and emotional pain you feel. Spending thousands of dollars on dermotologists visits, high end products, proactiv, murad, clearasil, biore, cortisone injections, and anything and everything to bandaid the true pain you feel inside. Slavery is the perfect word, you no longer have control, you live as a slave to such a brutal master. Dealing with it on your own only makes it worse, have you tried explaining this to a friend? What do they say? "It will go away" "Its just a phase your going through" "have you tried proactiv?" Its horrible to hear someone minimize the deep pain you are feeling, I felt extrememly alienated from the rest of the world. I am an extremely social person and I had turned into a hermit. I constantly made excuses not to go anywhere with my friends because I was simply to embarrassed to be seen. I have missed out on so much, I sometimes wonder if I will EVER achieve what I want to or if my appearance will always hold me back. I was told 4 years ago that I needed to take accutane and I didnt do it. I was too scared, I heard the stories and I told my dermo no. 4 years later here I am, I have tried everything and I am tired of this life. I am on my second week of accutane (claravis) and I am hoping for a miracle. I am tired of being alone, I have looked at this website so many times and it has helped me get to where I am today. I finally decided to join, I need people who understand, I am tired of people ignorantly telling me to get over it. I hope to find and give support here on my journey with this medicine. I am crossing my fingers and saying my prayers that I make it through this and it is worth it. I wish that for everyone on it and everyone who ever takes it. This could be the start to a new life and a new me.

Day 14:

Dry Dry Dry.

My faces is dry and flaky. My lips are chapped and cracked. I think I started my IB about 5 days into it, its pretty bad but bearable. Im not sure if it will get worse or better from here. I am relieved to not have oily skin for once.

Sorry for the rant, but I really needed to get it out to someone that i feel understands.

Hey

Reading everything you wrote reminds me of myself and my struggle with severe cysts acne, it is horrible, and controls your life completely. I find myself lately hiding and that is an awful feeling, at work I try my best not to talk to others hoping others won't notice my acne, but deep down inside of me I know they notice, how can anyone miss them.

I am also taking accutane today is day 19, we are 5 days apart. My face is also dry and very flaky. My joints are also hurting really bad my derm says that it is also a side effect of accutane, let's hope that this will be the end of acne for us.

Best of luck. Keep in touch. :D

Thanks for the responses. I really appreciate it.

I guess Ill just have to figure out what is gonna work for my skin. Thanks for the suggestions though.

Im about to take my 15th 40mg capsule. My lips have been dry but today they started to crack back in the corners(ouch). I have been using lots of chapstick so hopefully i can keep it under control.

I broke out really bad on my chest and it is starting to dry up, maybe I will get lucky and this will be the end of my IB. Its strange, even though IB on accutane is a rough thing to go through its almost a relief, at least you know something is changing. Even though it is a bad change you can feel the accutane taking effect in your body and you know it is working rather than all the other products that simply have no affect at all.

Day 14:

Dry Dry Dry.

Hey

Reading everything you wrote reminds me of myself and my struggle with severe cysts acne, it is horrible, and controls your life completely. I find myself lately hiding and that is an awful feeling, at work I try my best not to talk to others hoping others won't notice my acne, but deep down inside of me I know they notice, how can anyone miss them.

I am also taking accutane today is day 19, we are 5 days apart. My face is also dry and very flaky. My joints are also hurting really bad my derm says that it is also a side effect of accutane, let's hope that this will be the end of acne for us.

Best of luck. Keep in touch. :D

Have you gotten an IB yet? Im wondering if day 19 is any better than day 15 Lol. Best of luck to you also.

Day 16

Nothing really to report, I am broken out on my chin, jawline, neck and now my forhead. I also have some cysts on my head, back of neck, back and chest (no fun). My skin is really dry around my mouth and chin. The rest of my face can be maintained with face lotion and its fine but my chin is dry as hell.

Im starting to worry about my next blood/dermo appt. I was reading a girls accutane log and she said her cholesterol jumped way up. Im pretty paranoid about health problems and Id be devestated if I had to stop taking accutane without getting the results I want. Has anyone noticed appetite change while on accutane? my appetite has grown, I am constantly eating. I need to stop giving into the food cravings, I am a healthy eater but lately I crave fast food. I am working out more than ever so i guess im creating a balance. I jog/walk 3 miles a day and do some strength training. How many of you had issues with your bloodwork after taking accutane?

The severity of my acne I can't say is as bad as yours , but I can relate to the emotions you feel . Explaining it to a friend is the most brutal thing you can go through , they don't listen because you always hear "Oh yeah , I once had this one pimple and I just used Proactive ... have you tried it?" Of fucking course you have . Everyone here understands your pain brother , and all of us on Accutane have to get through this together haha .

Just think , in a few short months you'll be clean and clear (and under control ;)) .

And in regards to the appetite , mines decreased so far - but I hear it swings both ways .

Good luck :) .

The severity of my acne I can't say is as bad as yours , but I can relate to the emotions you feel . Explaining it to a friend is the most brutal thing you can go through , they don't listen because you always hear "Oh yeah , I once had this one pimple and I just used Proactive ... have you tried it?" Of fucking course you have . Everyone here understands your pain brother , and all of us on Accutane have to get through this together haha .

Just think , in a few short months you'll be clean and clear (and under control ;)) .

And in regards to the appetite , mines decreased so far - but I hear it swings both ways .

Good luck :) .

The classic proactiv question lol. My answer should always be "I could fucking drown you in the proactiv I have in my bathroom"

OK so its still day 16. I just went to walgreens to get some supplies to survive this lol.

I picked up some cetaphil mosturizer(i already have the cleanser), some head and shoulders because I now have dandruff, two kinds of chapstick, and a couple aloe face mask things. I hate all this maintenece, your talking to a guy who has never used lotion in his life lol. Now im exfoliating and moisturizing and lip balming hahahaha. wish me luck.

Hey there... I'm starting Accutane in a couple of days and just wanted to stop by and say good luck with your course... I'm sure you'll do great! (:

Also... my derm recommended that I pick up Eucerin lotion... she said they have a "redness relief" line that works really well when and if I get the "tane burn," haha. So if the Cetaphil you picked up doesn't do the job, maybe check it out!

Hey there... I'm starting Accutane in a couple of days and just wanted to stop by and say good luck with your course... I'm sure you'll do great! (:

Also... my derm recommended that I pick up Eucerin lotion... she said they have a "redness relief" line that works really well when and if I get the "tane burn," haha. So if the Cetaphil you picked up doesn't do the job, maybe check it out!

thanks for the tip!

Good luck with your course also. Your avatar pic is gorgeous ;)

The classic proactiv question lol. My answer should always be "I could fucking drown you in the proactiv I have in my bathroom"

Just drown them in the Proactiv ? Honey , I could drown a small European country with all of the different cleansers I have . :lol:

Just drown them in the Proactiv ? Honey , I could drown a small European country with all of the different cleansers I have . :lol:

Lol. I was actually thinking about going through my bathroom and getting rid of all the products that let me down.

Id have so much more space.

DAY 19

I attempted to exfoliate my face because of all the dry skin, basically now I have a layer of red sensitive skin on my chin. Ive been mosturizing and for the most i think it helps.

I am starting too see what you are saying about the blackheads! Last night I looked in the mirror and I could see hundreds of blackheads that were not there(or visible) before. YIKES.

DAY 19

I attempted to exfoliate my face because of all the dry skin, basically now I have a layer of red sensitive skin on my chin. Ive been mosturizing and for the most i think it helps.

I am starting too see what you are saying about the blackheads! Last night I looked in the mirror and I could see hundreds of blackheads that were not there(or visible) before. YIKES.

How did you exfoliate?

I usually swear by dissolved aspirin in my cleanser. (uncoated aspirin - or in my case, Rite Aid brand "lightly coated" aspirin - about two or three tablets turned into a soft paste with a few drops of water...mix it into your cleanser and go to town!)

A lot of people here use the "baby brush" method (literally buying a baby hair brush from a baby store and rubbing your face in circular motions - the bristles are very soft and gentle).