Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bjohnson88

Results of recent allergy test...

Hello all,

What can you all tell me about the results of allergy tests you have all taken?

I had one recently, and only tested positive on 'real world dust mites,' the millions of bugs living in our pillows, beds, etc. I was told to pick up an allergy casing-type pillow, which I did. They also recommend wrapping the duvet, and mattress in this material as well. The latter 2 were very expensive, so I only picked up the pillow recently. My question is, with everything else on the allergy test coming back as a non-allergen (dairy, etc etc etc), should these common 'triggers' still be avoived?

I am having a REAL tough time pinpointing the cause of my moderate acne. I have avoided dairy for awhile before, and now with the results coming back as a non-allergen, I am even more confused. What are all your thoughts on allergy tests/nutrition/etc.

Thanks!!!

JT

You dont have to have an allergy to have acne. Try stabalizing your blood sugar and dont eats sugar or any bread product. Eat lots of fish, nuts, fruits and veggies. Your acne should clear up. Mine has for the most part unless i cheat and eat shit food.

I was told to pick up an allergy casing-type pillow, which I did.

Yeah... last time I studied asthma, nobody really succeeded in reducing dust mites in their home enough to make a difference. They don't live above a certain altitude generally, so you could go live on a very high mountain. But allergy accessories for the bed have primarily benefited the manufacturers of allergy accessories, not patients.

My question is, with everything else on the allergy test coming back as a non-allergen (dairy, etc etc etc), should these common 'triggers' still be avoided?

There's little evidence that "allergies" cause acne. There is, however, evidence that skim milk correlated with increased acne in teenaged boys (though whole milk did not).

I am having a REAL tough time pinpointing the cause of my moderate acne.

Random nutjob on the Internet says:

OK, here's the cause. The P. acnes bacteria hits a keratinocyte (skin cell) and the skin cell overreacts by producing too much superoxide anion. Sez the keratinocyte, "ha ha, I killed you -- that'll teach you, stupid bacteria." soon followed by "oh crap, I killed myself too."

To avoid this fate, you need to soak up some of those superoxide anions so the keratinocyte doesn't shoot itself in the foot. A really good antidote is zinc superoxide dismutase. Hmmm, why isn't there enough of that in your skin, like there is for people who don't have acne? Well, to make zinc superoxide dismutase, you need zinc, and you need superoxide dismutase. Where do they come from? Well, zinc you have to eat, and a primary stimulator of superoxide dismutase in the skin is melatonin, so the question is revised to: why do you have insufficient zinc or melatonin or both?

If you live in dim light (not in bright outdoor light 10-12 hours per day), you get carbohydrate malabsorption, and that interferes with your ability to digest tryptophan (the precursor molecule required to make melatonin) and zinc. So people who live in bright light all day can eat foods that would help produce acne in people who live in dim light all day. Note that it's not the foods you're eating that cause the problem, but the foods that aren't being digested that cause the problem, by interfering with the absorption of vital nutrients.

Can't live in bright light all day? Ok, then diet will affect your acne. Fructose will be the worst, but lots of other carbs will also be capable of contributing. So, sometimes people decide to eat "healthy" and their acne gets worse -- because by eating "healthy" they really meant eating a high-fructose diet full of apples and other kinds of high-fructose fruits. So you need to avoid eating a high-fructose diet, and be sure to eat good sources of tryptophan (e.g., meat), and take a zinc supplement for extra insurance (and since selenium aids the movement of the zinc ion into the superoxide dismutase, 200mcg of selenium/day is good insurance too).

Other ways we destroy our melatonin cycle: going to bed at different times from one day to another (same as jet-lag, body clock can't figure out when to start the melatonin cycle), not sleeping 9-10 hours per night, ingesting caffeine/alcohol/drugs that affect melatonin, being low on Vitamin B (in which case, lots of tryptophan will be diverted to creating Vitamin B), sleeping in light pollution instead of total darkness, exercising right before bedtime, etc.

Melatonin is key because it acts in multiple relevant ways: it's anti-androgenic (decreases sebum production), slows cell division, is directly anti-oxidant, stimulates cells to ramp up superoxide dismutase production, etc. However, there's some reason to think that lycopene can at least elevate superoxide dismutase levels. Cheapest place to get a possibly large enough dose of lycopene is tomato sauce.

So once again, the cause is your dim-light daytime environment combined with diet, which results in abnormal sebum production along with insufficient zinc superoxide dismutase at the right time and place.

So sez a random nutjob on the Internet. :D