Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mattsmom

Dan's Regimen WITH Accutane??

My 13 y/o son has been using Dan's cleanser, treatment, and AHA for about 3 months now. His severe cystic acne seems to be a littlebetter since using it. He has large scars on the back of his neck which the AHA seems to be really helping - the thick, scarred skin seems to be getting thinner, smaller. While Dan's regimen seems to be working a little, but not nearly enough, my son, myself, and his derm decided today that since he has been "fighting" the severe acne for about 4 years with all sorts of cleansers, meds, etc. and nothing has helped that it's time to try Accutane.

I know all of the side effects and the risks, so I'm not asking what anyone thinks of my letting him try the medication. What I'd like to know is if anyone here uses Dan's regimen AND Accutane at the same time? The derm told me to have him stop with the regimen as it will dry him out even more than just using the med will. She recommended just using Cetaphil Face and Body Wash and Cetaphil Dry Skin Lotion instead. I'd like to know what you think of his still using the AHA at least since that seems to be helping his scars and I'd hate for him to stop using that.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I feel like I'm hanging on by my fingernails here :wall: !! It's been SO long of a struggle for him that it breaks my heart. I just want to do what I can to help him!

Edited by mattsmom

It's only been 3 months and the improvements are a good sign. Wait a little bit, in my opinion. Accutane is a last resort.