Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
wibble

Biotin and Sebum...

Just wondering if any of the clever people on this site had any ideas on this one. I've been trying to figure out a link between Biotin and Sebum for a while.

This was mainly down to personal experience. When in the past by sebum had dropped down to almost nothing, due to B5 at one point, and Accutane at another. Addition of Biotin seemed to increase the amount of Sebum on my face. It may have not increased it beyond pre accutane/B5 levels, but seemed to restore it to similar. Drop the Biotin and the oil seemed to go away.

If I google Biotin causing cystic acne (which was my main issue), there seems to be quite a few cases of people with hair issues supplementing Biotin, only to find out cystic acne comes there way, having not had it before. They stop the Biotin, their cystic acne goes away. I can't help but feel there is a link there somehow.

Biotin often seems to get ignored on its effects in nutrition, as it can be created by the body itself to my understanding. I'm almost wondering if some of us who have cystic acne/lots of sebum, we have too much Biotin being created (maybe in relation to other vitamins, like B5?).

I also notice one of the side effects of lack of Biotin is dry skin, so it does seem to affect the skin somehow, but again dry skin may be unrelated to sebum, but what is the indication for too much Biotin ? I'm sure there is some effect, even if by competing with other vitamins.

I can see some very loose links to insulin as an example http://endo.endojournals.org/cgi/content/full/140/10/4595 , but not really anything concrete. Has anyone come accross anything like this before at all ? I can remember years back Craigy on these forums was pondering a link at the same time, but never knew if anything came of it.

I know, that was partly my point. I'm wondering if the problem is if there is too much Biotin, not too little (maybe in relation to other vitamins).

Define "overdose" ?

What about the case where B Vitamins compete with each other. The point is, that an abundance of one Vitamin can affect others. This could create a deficiency in others (think why people take a B-Complex when taking B5).

All I'm saying is that I believe there is some link between abundance of Biotin and sebum and cystic acne. If you don't think there is, thats fine, maybe try and explain why you think it wouldn't have any effect on it, given its link with fat/glucose metabolism, and also a possible effect on insulin.

The study I showed above, implied there is a link between Biotin and increased insulin if I read it right. Thats the part I can't figure as I know little on the medical side. But isn't this a similar reasoning to eating a low GI diet to help with acne, because of its relation to insulin ?

Edited by wibble

The study I showed above, implied there is a link between Biotin and increased insulin

The study is suggesting that biotin can increase the ability of the pancreas to create insulin. That's a Good Thing, because an inability to crank out insulin represents one form of diabetes. They are not suggesting that biotin elevates insulin levels.

Or put another way, when you put a more efficient furnace in your house, that doesn't make the whole house hotter, it just means the thermostat doesn't have to turn on the furnace for as long a time during each heating cycle. And it means a decreased load for your furnace/pancreas.

This is really interesting so I'll subscribe to this thread to get email notifcations.

I take biotin and silica supplements in one tiny tablet which has other vitamins and nutrients too. It's meant to be good for hair, skin and nails and yeah. I've read lots of good stuff on it.

But the original poster said that studies have shown people who use biotin for hair growth have had a sudden onset of acne.

Hmm.

Anyone with more info/research/ideas/theories on this please keep us posted!

The study I showed above, implied there is a link between Biotin and increased insulin

The study is suggesting that biotin can increase the ability of the pancreas to create insulin. That's a Good Thing, because an inability to crank out insulin represents one form of diabetes. They are not suggesting that biotin elevates insulin levels.

Or put another way, when you put a more efficient furnace in your house, that doesn't make the whole house hotter, it just means the thermostat doesn't have to turn on the furnace for as long a time during each heating cycle. And it means a decreased load for your furnace/pancreas.

No sebum doesn't "cause" acne, but it is a large player in it. Certainly for me there appears to be a strong correlation between amount of sebum and severity of acne (in terms of size of cysts as opposed to quantity of spots or cysts).

The best theory, of which I still believe is the closest for at least my own experience, is the Pantothenic acid/CoA factor.

The original study (Lit-Hung Leung), I think hypothesized that some of us have a shortage of Coenzyme A, in which Pantothenic Acid (B5) is needed for its synthesis. Hormones also need CoA, and the theory suggests that hormone sythesis will take precedence over fat metabolism, which then remains contributing to increased sebum. (I'm not a scientist, but thats my basic understanding).

This for me makes sense. Many people get spots as they hit hormone increases, be it adolescence or their monthly period.

There is a lot of talk about "regulating or balancing" hormones. What exactly does this mean ? Why would someone hitting their monthly cycle need to have them balanced. The idea that there isn't enough Coenzyme A for this, and for a multitude of other requirements thats needed seems to make sense to me.

Pantothenic Acid is needed for Coenzyme A, and this shares the same uptake mechanism as Biotin. In our bodies, we can actually create Pantothenic Acid and Biotin in our guts via bacteria. However, what if our guts after years of abuse have problems creating it (and with Biotin competing as well)? I wonder if this is why certain other regimens that sort the gut out, also help with this problem.

Why do people who take large doses of Biotin suddenly get cysts? (and we're not talking about acne watchers). Why does B5 stop cysts & sebum ? It's funny, here is something that helps acne, and no one seems to want to study it (in order to find a solution that doesn't involve megadoses of it) ! Same with Vit A. We know Vit A stops acne, B5 does also, but we really don't know why ?

I also think personally there is a likely link as Pantothenic Acid deficiency has a symptom of greying hair. I started greying very early when my skin turned worse.

I'm not saying this is the cause for everyone with acne, but I do think there could be a link with excess sebum and its contribution to acne. It possibly would have lesser impact for those where excess sebum isn't a factor for them. In the new year (as I'm away for a few weeks so hard to form a diet), I think I will be trying something to help clear my gut, plus a small amount of Pantotenic Acid/B5, maybe with Cysteine & magnesium as its been suggested they help with PA absorbtion.

Edited by wibble

hmmm Pantothenic Acid helps in metabolism.....my acne could be due to my poor metabolism but i don hav grey hair lol.... eating more vitamin a may help but i don think there will be a big difference. there no difference in my acne whether i hit my period or not...although i have irregular periods..

hmmm Pantothenic Acid helps in metabolism.....my acne could be due to my poor metabolism but i don hav grey hair lol.... eating more vitamin a may help but i don think there will be a big difference. there no difference in my acne whether i hit my period or not...although i have irregular periods..

I do think I'm an extreme case with sebum/oil and grey hair. I'd be like an oil slick within 30 mins originally of wiping the oil off, it was relentless. Only B5 and Accutane have stopped it, but it returns. I'm trying with diet which seems to help a bit, but not at the same level the B5 or Accutane did.

Interesting i have a sulfite/sulphite intolerance which i never though was connected to my acne in anyway what so ever but one of the things i try to avoid due to thsi intolerance is Biotin.

Can't remember why exactly but it affects me the same why as sulfites. I think it is in a lot of cereals so i would check those, usually enough to affect me quite baddly as well.

I'm just pondering the hormone connection through diet as well. Could foods like milk with IGF-1 consumed, mean an increase in required CoA ? (Why does milk actually break people out?)

It could explain the hormone connection better for me. It's also interesting Melatonin also requires CoA to my understanding (there is a thread about a sleep connection also, could a deficiency in CoA contribute?)

Increase of certain hormones in diet (or natural) leading to increased need for CoA.

Compromised intestines leads to lack of CoA to deal with the requirements.

If that were true, there could be a couple of avenues of attack ?

Try to improve the intestines ability to create Pantothenic Acid (for CoA).

Try to reduce competors for PA/B5 (i.e reduce Biotin, but keeping enough to avoid hairloss).

Add B5/Pantothenic Acid, plus try to increase its ability to be absorbed or available (other nutrients needed like cysteine? Not sure if that helps or not).

Any others?

Edited by wibble

I have no idea, I was just reading the most recent edition of Men's Health and lo and behold (I've read alot on these forums that dairy breaks people out) the magazine said that dairy is a leading cause of breakouts. Interesting. It said that the hormones in cows -> cow's milk does this. I'm staying off milk and opting for soy instea. No yogurt, cheese or milk for me *sigh*

I lost a lot of hair on Accutane so a few months afer I stopped my treatment I tried Biotin and broke out horribly within a couple of weeks. Once I stopped Biotin my skin cleared up and remained clear for another 2 years.

Hi Hmm I started using Biotin to help my hair grow longer... Wonder if it made my acne flare worse.????? I have just started my 4th course of accutane so hopefully if I quit takingBiotin the flareups will cease.