Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rachk3315

My Accutane Experience...

Hey! I am a 25 year old female who is about to start accutane! I went to my derm last week on Tuesday wearing no makeup (something I havent done in public for years). After asking some questions about accutane my derm and I decided to give it a try. I was unaware of what a painful proccess one must go through before getting there hands on the stuff! I got blood work and preg test done last weds and still havent heard back about the results. On Dec. 18th i go back to the derm to get the actual presciption as long as everything turns out ok. I must say that after reading the iplege packet and researching alot online I am alittle nervous about starting it. Seems like there are alot of serious side effects possible. My acne is not nodular , rather very persistant ( i have had it for 10 years). I have been using Taz for almost 1 year now and it works ok, but my concern is when i stop using taz and stop taking birth control pill my face blows up and breaks out horribly. I want an acne cure so that I wont be stuck on taz and BC my whole life. My acne is mild-moderate so I am hoping i will respond well to accutane and not suffer from breakouts when my treatment ends (see my pictures in the acne.org regimen gallery )I am not sure how long i will be on it or what dose my derm will perscribe, maybe since my acne isnt horrible i will be able to be on a lower dose with less side effects. For the next month i will just be waiting and thinking alot before i can get the tane. Ive been praying alot as I juggle whether or not its worth the side effects. I fell that God put this opportunity in my life for a reason. I prayed before my appointment with the derm alot asking God that it would be possible for me to go on accutane (alot of derms are very picky who they allow on the med) and when my derm said lets go for it i took it as God saying yes. I just need to keep praying about it and seeking His will in the situation. I know a number of people that have taking accutane and the results are incredible. To be rid of my acne would make things so much easier. I wouldnt have to spend an hour a day trying to cover it with makeup! I wont have to cancel plans with friends because i dont want them to see my skin! I may finally be cured of my picking disorder (aka self injurious skin picking) and wont spend so much time infront of the mirror examining my face. I will actually have confidence not to wear makeup even to bed (yes i wear makeup to bed). I will keep praying and looking forward to Dec. 18th!

I have been using tazorac as i wait for my accutane in 1 month and wow has my face been so dry and very irritated. It literally burns all the time! I can not wait to be done with these topicals! they are the worst! =) Still havent heard back about my blood work even though i had it done 1 week ago. i finally called the outpatient lab where i work and they had to refax the results to the derm. hoping to hear something tomorrow!

Edited by Rachk3315

Wow! Cant believe it! Only 5 more days and I will finally get accutane! I have to get blood work done on thursday and then friday is my derm appt and we will review the blood work and preg test and if all is well i can finally start my course! I never thought the day would come! i am praying that I dont have bad side effects! Count down begins! 5 days!

Hopefully your doctor registered you on the Ipledge system, although, how could they if they didn't have your pregnancy results?

Something along the same line happened to me. My derm said he would get me registered and ready just in case I wanted to start on Accutane. I even had my blood work and pregnancy tests done. But I found out after my 2nd appointment that I hadn't actually been registered until that day. Even though I had my Rx in hand, I had to wait an additional 30 days until I could get my Rx filled.

I'm not trying to freak you out, but I've heard a lot of stories like mine. I just want you to be prepared. Good luck!! :)

Oh, and I also have some advise.

Get Aquaphor. The stuff is amazing for your lips! I also like Nivea kiss of moisture with SPF for during the day. I started moisturizing before the dryness and I haven't had any cracked lips yet. But everyone is different...

Also, try not to wash your hair every day...it will get really dry if you do.

thanks for the advice. i am registered on ipledge already. i recieved my password in the mail 3 weeks ago and have gotten online and logged in to check when i could get my next pregnancy test done and blood work. ipledge said that dec 17th is when i can get my final preg test and blood work to get my accutane prescription. i have my derm appt on dec 18th (the next day) so my derm is planning to log my preg test results in that day and then give me my script. hopefully everything goes smoothly! i have already started using vasaline on my lips so they are in good shape before the treatment. but will have to give your products a try,

I'm sure that Aquaphor and Vaseline are pretty similar, but it's just that you will want to carry your lip balm with you everywhere. Vaseline isn't something that is easily taken with you. And trust me, you will want your chap stick with you at all times. I left mine in my car for two hours while I was at work one day (until my next break) and I was going crazy without it. Your lips just get so dry when you don't re-apply soon enough, so I'm constantly re-applying in fear of getting cracked lips. Just thought you would want to know.

YEAAAA~! i finally started clavaris today!!! crazy to think that this process has started! =) i only got a 15 day supply because the pharmacy was out of more so ill have to pick more up after the weekend! so far I have taken 2 pills (20mg x 2 a day.) i applied tons of moisturizer before bed last night and this morning before makeup i have also started using lots of lip treatments! I am really excited/ nervous to start this journey! I did find out that my cholestrol is a little on the high end, even tho i workout and eat healthy (its genetic), so i am really gonna have to watch my diet. cant wait to have clear skin!

hey rachk! i started the 17th so we are really close! we should keep up with each others logs so that we can work through this process together. good luck with your course. i wish you the best of luck! :)

Hey thanks guys for your comments! Its day # 5 for me! so far i have had no new breakouts! =) its been so nice washing my face at night and not having to use topicals! =) I have been loading on moisturizer and vasaline so i havent experienced any dryness, but i am still early in the process so who knows. i was shocked how expensive my presciption was! so i guess i will be picking up extra shifts at the hospital! =) so far so good! =)