Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MrLevodevo

I only seem to break out right around my mouth.

Hi. I'm new here, as you can see from my low post count and recent join date.

I have acne. Surprise, surprise, right? Haha.

The main problem I have is that I break out almost exclusively right around my mouth and sometimes on my lips. This has been occurring for a year or so and I can't seem to find anything to get rid of it.

I had moderateish/severeish acne a couple years ago; I was able to completely clear it up with two and a half months of Accutane. Unfortunately, I decided not to take the entire regimen since I got such great results so early. Subsequently, I began to experience mild breakouts and eventually I developed moderate acne again.

Then, with Proactiv, I began to, once again, experience clear skin for the most part, with only an occasional minor breakout.

Within the past couple months, however, I'm breaking out again, sometimes very badly, like right now. What really sucks about it is that it's always in the most uncomfortable and noticeable places. I seem to mostly get huge whiteheads in the corners of my mouth, and around the edges a bit as well. I'm using steps 1 and 2 of Proactiv every single night and dabbing very light amounts of Clearasil Pimple Blocker Pen on a couple spots that feel like they're about to break out. I'm also moisturizing every other day, but I don't think the moisturizer I have is very good.

I'm at a loss. The Proactiv regimen doesn't seem to be doing anything anymore. It's so frustrating; I have really nice skin all over my face, except for my mouth. Please help. Any advice at all is welcome.

P.S. - I also have moderate "butt-ne". This is probably irrelevant though.

Edited by CP.
request for removal of photos

It seems pretty common the mouth area is a pit for acne. I used to have it too but I switched to fluoride-free all natural toothpaste and I am completely clear around my mouth (but not my chin :(). So give a natural fluoride-free toothpaste a try.

I've been reading "fluoride-free toothpaste" a lot lately when doing research about acne around the mouth. I guess I should give this a try. Thank you.

I am like you. I used to have cystic jawline and a bubbly forehead but now I'm just stuck with these stubborn little buggers around the mouth that leave red marks. The worst thing is the people who get this type of acne also seem to have sensitive skin that stays red for quite a while.

BP didn't sort this out for me. I suggest anything with "retinoid" in it. Accutane might be a little overdrive but a retin-a cream or something might be in order.

Do you have lots of blackheads around the mouth that get visible only when you stretch your skin?

Maybe you drool around the sides of your mouth at night? I heard that causes spots. Yeah also maybe you dont wash the toothpaste off completely.

Looking at your picture and seeing it under you nose and so close around your mouth and the fact that you said you can't get rid of it...

Have you checked with your Doctor to make sure it isn't a staph. infection? Staphylococcus aureus lives in the skin and in the mucus membranes. I wonder because my infant daughter had what looked like whiteheads under her nose and around her mouth. It was a Staph infection from her nose.

I don't see in your post where you have tried antibiotics, so it could be a possibility.

I've seen this a bit among others, have read and tend to think around the mouth pimples/pustules/acne might be largely due to diet.

Toothpaste, shampoo, sugar, gluten, soy, milk, allergies, etc, etc, could be the problem. It's really a toss up imo.

It might be that proactiv does nothing for you now due to the fact you took accutane and it may have changed your skin in some way making it less responsive.

I always slept with my mouth in my pillow, if you do this and you have oily hair, you can break out because the oil gets in your pillow and you touch the pillow with your mouth.

grtz

Edited by help3

I've completely stopped using any sort of chapstick or lip balm, and I'm cutting back on the concealer that I didn't even mention in the initial post.

Unfortunately, I'm not really seeing a difference. It's either the same or slightly worse. I suppose the next step is to switch to a fluoride-free toothpaste.

Hi :)

I dont know really what to sugest i just wanted to let you know that your not the only one. I have mouth acne like yours its just 10X worse. Mine circles the whole of mouth, chin and upper lips like one big acne circle!! Its awful. I've never had acne this bad before and its so depressing, but keep your chin up. :)

I have recently aquired chin and upper lip acne myself. I feel honored..lol The truth is it is crippling me and my family. they rely on me and I'm just not there for them. I'm trying to get rid of it, but so far just looks worse. On doxycycline and using 4% BP cream wash. My derm doesn't want me to use anything else in case its an allergy to something I'm using. I'm not sure about that one. Could be hormones or stress. Going to prim care dr and hopefully my blood test will tell me if anything is out of wack. If not and it's just acne, I may have a breakdown. In know how you feel and your not alone.