Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jwardmagic

Would using a moisturiser stop benzoyl peroxide from working on my acne?

If using benzoyl peroxide on my skin for acne;

Would applying a moisturiser afterwards stop the accelerated skin aging caused by dry skin?

Also..

Would applying it before or after the application of benzoyl peroxide stop the BP working on my acne?

Which should be done first, moisturiser or BP?

You probably want to moisturize first.

And yes, you should moisturize and no, it won't stop the BP from working :dance:

Edited by Alona

The BP should be applied first, but you should try. Today is the second day I use BP and I feel my skin very dry, so I must put lots of moisturiser...

Good luck

Actually, using moisturizer is a very good idea when you're using BP, as BP does cause drying.

Apply the BP, give it five or ten minutes to absorb, then apply your moisturizer over it. Then wash your hands so that you don't accidentally bleach anything! ; )

I have to slightly disagree with some of the comments on this. Heavier, oil-based moisturizers can block the full absorption of BPO and reduce its effectiveness. You can use water based moisturizers either under or over BPO though. If you must use a heavier moisturizer because of excessive dryness, I would wait at least 20-30 min after applying the BPO before applying the moisturizer and I would not apply it before the BPO.