Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
serena22

some questions! starting retin a and spiro this week!

Hey Everyone!

Just got back from the derm and she agreed to put me on 25mg of spiro!! im so excited about this! my acne is moderate and hormonal, so i hope 25mg will do the trick. Also i am starting retin a...i am just curious about retin a and sun damage, i know it can make your skin more sensitive to the sun, but it is also good at repairing sun damage done to the skin ( seems ironic haha) I was just wondering if anyone knows if using retin a over the long term will stop sun damage from even showing up ( as it takes 10-20 years to appear on your skin as wrinkles, pigmentation etc...) i know its not really acne related but would love some info if anyone knows!!! i burned my face this summer and am worries about damage now : ( also i will post back incase there are any other girls curious about how my low dose spiro goes.....feeling hopeful!! good luck everyone!

Hey Everyone!

Just got back from the derm and she agreed to put me on 25mg of spiro!! im so excited about this! my acne is moderate and hormonal, so i hope 25mg will do the trick. Also i am starting retin a...i am just curious about retin a and sun damage, i know it can make your skin more sensitive to the sun, but it is also good at repairing sun damage done to the skin ( seems ironic haha) I was just wondering if anyone knows if using retin a over the long term will stop sun damage from even showing up ( as it takes 10-20 years to appear on your skin as wrinkles, pigmentation etc...) i know its not really acne related but would love some info if anyone knows!!! i burned my face this summer and am worries about damage now : ( also i will post back incase there are any other girls curious about how my low dose spiro goes.....feeling hopeful!! good luck everyone!

Retin-a will make you more sensitive to the sun while you're using it, because of its reaction to sunlight as well as its chemical effects on your skin. It's very important that you use a sunscreen while using retin-a.

It does help with sun damage, though.. this is because one of its effects is to stimulate collagen production.

So, the way to prevent new sun damage (whether you're using retin-a or not) is to wear sunscreen, and retin-a will only help repair sun damage if you use a sunscreen (otherwise you'll create it faster than the retin-a will ever be able to repair it).