Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
oilmine

Extremely Oily Skin - Improvement!

I've been trying a lot of things since I was 11. From the moment I hit puberty, my oil glands just went into overdrive. Some people describe their skin as very oily, but until you understand what it's like to wash your face and then an hour later see oil ooze out of every pore in your face and never be able to go a day without washing your hair, I'm sure you have a completely different interpretation of what very oily skin is. I've tried a lot of oil control products which helped to keep my oil at bay. The best temporary fixes I've used for my oily skin are DermaDoctor's Tease Zone ($35) and Zinc PCA from Skin Actives ($5 a vial). I gently tap a bit of the Zinc PCA all over my skin, wait for it to dry, and then put a thin layer of the Tease Zone gel over it. I wait for THAT to dry, and correct any chalky streaks before putting on mineral makeup.

Recently, I got fed up with my oily skin and decided it was time to experiment. I wanted to find a more lasting solution to my oily skin using natural alternatives/methods. After reading through many forums, I purchased Pantethine from Puritan's Pride. I figured there wasn't much to lose, because at the time Puritan's Pride was having a buy 1 get 2 free deal. I'd tried B5 when I was younger, but that didn't really work for me, possibly because I hadn't taken it long enough (over a month, from what I remember). There were also side effects that weren't so pleasant, such as diarrhea, tiredness, and hair thinning. Pantethine is supposed to be a more potent form of B5, but does not have the same side effects, and technically should work for you if your skin really is oily from this vitamin B deficiency.

I started off with 300mg of Pantethine 3x daily along with a multivitamin, during which time I broke out horribly. My face looked worse than it had in a long time. After a week, I decided to increase the dosage to 2 300mg softgels 3x daily along with a multivitamin. My skin had stopped breaking out, but was still as oily as it had been.

I decided to incorporate more fruits into my diet by making smoothies to drink daily. It was easier for me to drink the fruit than eat them because I'm always on the go. The smoothies consisted of a cup of water (fruits alone would be to thick to drink and also clog up the blender) and a tomato, apples, bananas, peaches, strawberries, etc. I switched it up, but always included apples because I have a lot of them, and a tomato, because they help to protect skin from sun damage. I would make a blender-full, which filled three glasses and saved time by leaving a couple made in advance for the next two days. (Sometimes they ended up being so good, I drank both!)

My skin slowly started to change, and I tried a different method when washing my face. I'd rub the soap onto my face gently in circles with hot water to dissolve the soap and oil, and then repeat very gently to make sure that all residue was washed off. After that, I would "shock" my skin with a blast of cold water. When my skin was done air drying, I lightly patted JoJoba oil onto my skin with my fingertips, just enough to cover my face in a thin layer. I did this before I went to bed at night, and right after I showered/before I put on makeup.

I think the JoJoba oil may have been what made the most difference in my face. After I used it the first night, my acne scars and blemishes dried up, and I was able to peel them right off. I know, it's amazing that oil would be able to dry up your blemishes since it's oily, but it worked for me! I'm not sure at which point exactly the oil in my face decreased, but all I know is that my skin has made a huge improvement, and possibly due to a combination of things! I still use the Tease Zone gel and Zinc PCA as a backup since my skin is still oily, (although thankfully less than before) and my shine is controlled for A LOT longer. I'm continuing to experiment - I'm so excited and hoping the day will come soon when I no longer have to paranoid about oiliness!

Edited by oilmine

UPDATE: The oil on my skin has decreased even further, and I am dropping the Zinc PCA as part of my regimen. When I wake up in the morning now, I no longer have an oil slick on my face.; there is still a little bit of shine, but that is it. My skin is still healing, and almost completely clear.

I will be incorporating plain oatmeal as part of my breakfast, along with the smoothie, and taking OptiZinc (a brand of zinc) daily. I will also be exfoliating once or twice a week with baking soda and water.

Edited by oilmine

so you use jojoba oil as moisturizer?

Yes, I guess you could say that it's used as a moisturizer, even though I think of it more as a protective barrier like sunscreen, I suppose. The first times I tried it, I did so overnight and ended up getting an oil slick over the JoJoba oil I used on my face; I was a huge oily mess upon waking up. Somewhere after all this, the oil diminished, which makes me think some of the other methods also contributed to a successful result.

My sister was an esthetician (switched careers), and asked me to try JoJoba oil a couple of years ago. It broke me out like mad, and I haven't touched it since until now. I had also tried a homeopathic method a few years ago, using Vitamin A oil on my face instead. The theory behind all this was that if the skin detected that there was already a sufficient amount of oil on its surface, then the oil glands would stop producing more oil. I tried this for a month, but somehow back then, it didn't work at all. I'd tried all kinds of things back then, from bentonite clay to Milk of Magnesia to ProActiv. If I had a list of products I've tried, it would be a long one. =)

If you just try the JoJoba oil part of my regimen, this is how I would suggest doing it:

1.) Wash your hands before cleasing your face. ALWAYS wash your hands before touching your face.

2.) Work up a lather with soap and water, and gently rub the lather onto your face in circles to slough off oil and dirt. Rinse with hot/warm water (removes oil).

3.) Repeat step 2 to remove any traces of residue, and rinse with hot/warm water. (My sister was the one who taught me the method of washing my face twice, as she herself was taught to do it that way. She also taught me to wash my hands before touching my face!)

4.) Finish by splashing cold water onto your face (closes up pores) and air dry.

5.) Put a couple of drops of JoJoba oil into one hand, and with the other, gently use the fingertips to pat or tap the oil onto the skin. It should be a thin, light layer and not a heavy one. If you can easily slide your finger across your skin, that's too much. After you're done, there should be a slight shine, but not a greasy one.

eyeslikemine - Thanks so much! I'm really excited about my results! =)

I feel like irritating and drying out your skin in certain circumstances can lead to increased oil. I have had normal to dry skin for 24 years. I was using differin cream for about 6 years with no problems but reached a point where I started breaking out because of increased stress. To stop the break outs, I starting using more differin all over my face and all of a sudden got extremely oily skin. I then switched to differin gel to try and "dry out" my skin more. This actually opened the flood gates even more. I could actually feel grease puddles on my cheeks and the oil was just crazy. 10 days after stopping the differin, my skin no longer felt greasy and everywhere but my nose and forehead is back to normal. I am trying to use mass amount of moisturizer and jojoba oil at night to make sure it is not dry. One thing I notice is that my nose and forehead are the only parts of my face that are dry immediately after getting out of the shower. Soon after that they are very oily. Hopefully moisturizer/jojoba oil helps. If not, I might have to resort to extremely low dose accutane.

The best temporary fixes I've used for my oily skin are DermaDoctor's Tease Zone ($35) and Zinc PCA from Skin Actives ($5 a vial). I gently tap a bit of the Zinc PCA all over my skin, wait for it to dry, and then put a thin layer of the Tease Zone gel over it

Hey Oilmine, can you tell me how you applied the zinc PCA onto your face? Did you dilute it at all or use it as is? I have oily skin too and just ordered my 1st tube of zinc PCA and am wondering how and at what concentration to use...

My sister was an esthetician (switched careers), and asked me to try JoJoba oil a couple of years ago. It broke me out like mad, and I haven't touched it since until now. I had also tried a homeopathic method a few years ago, using Vitamin A oil on my face instead. The theory behind all this was that if the skin detected that there was already a sufficient amount of oil on its surface, then the oil glands would stop producing more oil. I tried this for a month, but somehow back then, it didn't work at all.

That theory is preposterous, which you would know if you'd been reading this forum for a while (I see that you're new here). The sebaceous glands don't work that way! They have no way of knowing how much oil is on the surface of the skin, and (perhaps more importantly) they don't care how much oil is on the surface. All they do is make and secrete their oil all day long, regardless of how much oil is on the surface. They produce oil continuously. The only things that affect how much they produce are various hormonal and genetic factors.

My sister was an esthetician (switched careers), and asked me to try JoJoba oil a couple of years ago. It broke me out like mad, and I haven't touched it since until now. I had also tried a homeopathic method a few years ago, using Vitamin A oil on my face instead. The theory behind all this was that if the skin detected that there was already a sufficient amount of oil on its surface, then the oil glands would stop producing more oil. I tried this for a month, but somehow back then, it didn't work at all.

That theory is preposterous, which you would know if you'd been reading this forum for a while (I see that you're new here). The sebaceous glands don't work that way! They have no way of knowing how much oil is on the surface of the skin, and (perhaps more importantly) they don't care how much oil is on the surface. All they do is make and secrete their oil all day long, regardless of how much oil is on the surface. They produce oil continuously. The only things that affect how much they produce are various hormonal and genetic factors.

I probably agree with the aspect of knowing the oil on the surface and being reactive, however I don't agree that the only things are various hormonal and genetic factors. Things you can consume "can" affect sebum (Vit a, Accutane, B5 as obvious examples), it is possible they work by affecting hormones, but thats not my understanding, and happy to be shown I'm incorrect in that. There are also some products out there which "claim" (note, I don't say I agree, my jury is out on them as not tested myself), that can affect sebum via the surface (I have some including niacinamide, not tried yet), and don't some of the topical retinoids have some effect ?

I probably agree with the aspect of knowing the oil on the surface and being reactive, however I don't agree that the only things are various hormonal and genetic factors. Things you can consume "can" affect sebum (Vit a, Accutane, B5 as obvious examples), it is possible they work by affecting hormones, but thats not my understanding, and happy to be shown I'm incorrect in that.

You're right, I probably should have mentioned that various drugs can obviously affect sebum, in addition to the innate "hormonal and genetic factors" that I mentioned before. In the future, I'll be careful to include drug effects in posts like this.

In my own defense, I'll say that I probably left that out before because I was thinking of why sebum production varies from person to person even under normal circumstances, as in people who don't use any drugs at all.

There are also some products out there which "claim" (note, I don't say I agree, my jury is out on them as not tested myself), that can affect sebum via the surface (I have some including niacinamide, not tried yet), and don't some of the topical retinoids have some effect ?

Yeah, I imagine some things like that _may_ have a drug-like effect on your skin, when applied topically.

Edited by bryan

The best temporary fixes I've used for my oily skin are DermaDoctor's Tease Zone ($35) and Zinc PCA from Skin Actives ($5 a vial). I gently tap a bit of the Zinc PCA all over my skin, wait for it to dry, and then put a thin layer of the Tease Zone gel over it

Hey Oilmine, can you tell me how you applied the zinc PCA onto your face? Did you dilute it at all or use it as is? I have oily skin too and just ordered my 1st tube of zinc PCA and am wondering how and at what concentration to use...

ShirleyB, I use it straight from the vial, instead of diluting it. When I ordered mine, they sent droppers along with the vials, and I use those so I won't risk accidentally contaminating the contents. I also think that it's easier to control the amount you use this way. Be careful and test a spot on your skin first to make sure that it won't irritate your skin and give you any adverse reactions. At first, it may sting a bit as it dries. If it's too strong, dilute it, although I have found that it doesn't seem to mix well with other substances, even the oil control serum they sell and recommend. I bought the serum, and honestly found it to be a waste of money.

Bryan, if you read my post carefully, I never attributed my oily skin improvement to JoJoba oil itself. I mentioned the theory, but NEVER stated that my experiment had proved the theory to be correct. I'd given JoJoba oil a positive review, as it had helped to get rid of my old acne scars. Did you fail to read that I had tried it before in the past, and it had not worked then for my oily skin? I do believe that it played a role in helping to clear my skin, along with other parts of my regimen, which is why I included that as well. For anyone who doubts that JoJoba may help clear your skin, please read through the reviews for it on this site.

Also, since you insist that the theory has absolutely no merit, please write to those who "push" the theory, as I cannot take credit for that. Perhaps you might like to contact the people behind the Dr. Hauschka skin care line, or thevitamincure.com. Dr. Hauschka sells a Normalizing Day Oil, which some claim regulates their oil production, and the website previously mentioned was how I had originally learned of this "absurd" theory. They've been around for a while, and I've tried and tested their product, but it didn't work for me. I'm guessing that if they're still in business after all these years, it may have worked for others. Just because it didn't work for ME, personally, doesn't mean that I believe the theory cannot possibly work for others.

Here's the link for the Dr. Hauschka's Normalizing Day Oil. If you need to, take it up with Dr. Hauschka. (He's long gone, but you can still rant to the current brains behind the product):

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/dr-hauschka...ng-d-p_2051.htm

I've read through many other posts about oily skin in this forum, and have also read your arguments and rants directed towards others who claim their methods have worked or improved their skin condition. Methods and treatment for acne are never foolproof, and are not like one-size-fits-all T-shirts. What may work for one person may not necessarily work for you, and I am merely here to share with others my experiences and discoveries, in hopes that it might help *others*. If you don't like what you see here, please keep in mind that you are not being forced to read my rubbish. If what I'm posting really bothers you, then by all means, avert your eyes. Lastly, to address your remark that I must be new here, it shouldn't have taken reading through my post for you to realize I've just signed up as a member; it's clearly marked under my username that I am a "new member." I understand that you've been a member since October 2004, but your status as a "senior member" does not make a difference to me unless you somehow find a cure for all oily skin sufferers or do something as significant.

Edited by oilmine

Bryan, if you read my post carefully, I never attributed my oily skin improvement to JoJoba oil itself. I mentioned the theory, but NEVER stated that my experiment had proved the theory to be correct. I'd given JoJoba oil a positive review, as it had helped to get rid of my old acne scars. Did you fail to read that I had tried it before in the past, and it had not worked then for my oily skin?

No, I didn't fail to read that. Did YOU fail to read what I clearly wrote in plain English, that I was specifically referring to the unfortunate theory that you mentioned? I never said a word about what it is you attribute your successful fight against acne to, I was merely talking about that other very dubious theory.

Also, since you insist that the theory has absolutely no merit, please write to those who "push" the theory, as I cannot take credit for that. Perhaps you might like to contact the people behind the Dr. Hauschka skin care line, or thevitamincure.com.

Oh, I'd certainly LOVE to talk to those people! :) But they're in business to make money (notice how they charge $32 for a little 1-ounce bottle of their quack "Normalizing Day Oil"!), so they're obviously not going to allow me to question their ridiculous junk-science in front of everybody on their forum.

Dr. Hauschka sells a Normalizing Day Oil, which some claim regulates their oil production, and the website previously mentioned was how I had originally learned of this "absurd" theory. They've been around for a while, and I've tried and tested their product, but it didn't work for me. I'm guessing that if they're still in business after all these years, it may have worked for others. Just because it didn't work for ME, personally, doesn't mean that I believe the theory cannot possibly work for others.

Here's the link for the Dr. Hauschka's Normalizing Day Oil. If you need to, take it up with Dr. Hauschka. (He's long gone, but you can still rant to the current brains behind the product):

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/dr-hauschka...ng-d-p_2051.htm

The claims they make for that product (at least the part about how your skin supposedly "slows down its production of oil", once it finds their expensive oil product on your skin) are laughable. They're preposterous. Again I say that if you had been reading the relevant threads on this forum for a long time, you'd know why! :)

I've read through many other posts about oily skin in this forum, and have also read your arguments and rants directed towards others who claim their methods have worked or improved their skin condition. Methods and treatment for acne are never foolproof, and are not like one-size-fits-all T-shirts. What may work for one person may not necessarily work for you, and I am merely here to share with others my experiences and discoveries, in hopes that it might help *others*. If you don't like what you see here, please keep in mind that you are not being forced to read my rubbish. If what I'm posting really bothers you, then by all means, avert your eyes.

No, I don't think I'll do that. I'm going to continue posting about the science of skin care and how the skin and sebaceous glands work, to help debunk the junk-science that gets posted here and on those commercial sites like the one you mentioned, whose only purpose seems to be to give desperate people false hopes, and rip them off.

I understand that you've been a member since October 2004, but your status as a "senior member" does not make a difference to me unless you somehow find a cure for all oily skin sufferers or do something as significant.

I strongly suggest that you heed what I say on these issues.

Edited by bryan

Hi,

I thought i would respond as i found your article/forum discussion interesting, so i joined up to acne.org.

I also have oily skin, but not only on my face, but on the upper part of my body which has included my chest, upper back, all around my neck, my chin, face, t-zone the most, my hair, head and even ears - inside and out.

I started getting or at least was noticing my skin was producing oily skin, at the age of 12, when i was back in primary school and was starting to endure the worst feeling ever.

I didn't understand what was going on, though it took me a little while to realize my skin wasn't normal. I started taking showers once a day, but it then eventuated to 2 showers a day all throughout highschool. It was just crazy.

Not sure how this applies to you, but what i have done to reduce the oily skin or have found what causes oily skin may.

To my knowledge what started it when i think back was, i must have done something to my insides(stomach or something else) as the only change i can recall in my life at the time was doing situps, i wanted to get a six pack, not sure what possessed me at the time, but yehh that and also buying a computer back 12 or so years ago.. im 24 now. So maybe there is a reaction to what a computer has in it, like radiation or something that it emits.. not sure but still, it can be something inside that could have some kind of effect on the skin.

Before i get to what reduces oil skin for me, i will say that, if i don't have a good nights sleep, and im tired and my body is working over time throughout the day, then my skin produces a lot of oil. If i have a good nights sleep then im all good for most of the day.

I shower once a day, though i try to keep the water warm, no hot showering, otherwise it irritates the skin and more oil is produced, and showers short. Though.. i do shower a lot more often during winter, and occasionally twice a day. When summer comes round i shoer less, but do shower in the mornings, i just have to.

Getting to what i have found reduces oil is this, a squeeze of half a lemon in a glass of water in the morning is good for the skin. The catch is though, it has no effect the next day if i do the same, every second day is good, it does it's thing, or sometimes if i leave it for ever third day, then yehh it helps.

So i hope i have shed some light on this matter for everyone, though yes everyone is different, body, makeup / their genes etc.

If anyone else has some actual proven tips than you are welcome to msg us or post here(if person who started the thread agrees), but only in terms of diet, i don't have the patience with oils and cleansers, unless you apply them to the skin, and they soak up the oil throughout the day, that is being left on the skin, but they have to work wonders. Otherwise i just don't have the energy having muck on my face or body and which will make me feel even more horrible.

Otherwise i know the feeling of having oily skin, waking up a with a film of oil on your face or upper body, and having to shower straight away in the morning once you wake up because you feel horrible, terrible, and just plain yuk.

My conclusion for myself is ive done something to my insides, though i have had an ultra sound and everything was good, so im just guessing im lacking a certain chemical or food requirement.

Thanks for reading, i hope it helps people out there and that people respond and that i haven't sounded like a drag, it's night and im also tired at this moment.

See ya's. :surprised:

I started getting or at least was noticing my skin was producing oily skin, at the age of 12, when i was back in primary school and was starting to endure the worst feeling ever.

To my knowledge what started it when i think back was, i must have done something to my insides(stomach or something else) as the only change i can recall in my life at the time was doing situps, i wanted to get a six pack, not sure what possessed me at the time, but yehh that and also buying a computer back 12 or so years ago..

My educated guess would be that at the age of 12 you started puberty.

No wonder your skin got oily. That's when most of us start getting oily skin/breaking out.

Puberty. Nothing but whacked out hormones. :)