Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Golthie

Acne.org Regimen....started 10/01/09

A little about me....

I'm a 26 year old mother of three boys. My acne has always been hormonal. I break out twice during my cycle, with about a week of clearing before it starts all over again. It was tolerable until I started getting AF again a few months ago. I may try Aleve once the baby is weaned; I occasionally take some ibuprofen when I feel a big one coming :lol: I guess I would say it's mild/moderate, but looks worse because of red marks. Prevent breakouts = prevent red marks = pretty skin!

So I ordered Dan's b.p. (been wanting to for 2 years!) and started the regimen last night. It takes a little more than 1/4 finger to cover my entire face because I break out all over, into my hairline, jawline, around my nose, etc. I never know where they will be. Like now there is one healing between my eyebrows, yuck, the cyclops zit :lol:. Fortunately, I am at the end of my second breakout this cycle so I shouldn't get too many more while my skin adjusts. I love the consistency of the b.p...no smell, no streaks, great! I used Neutrogena O.T.S. in the past and it is horrible compared to this stuff.

I am not completely satisfied with the cleanser/moisturizer I'm using right now but at the same time don't want to switch products too often. I've done some research and have a few in mind from the past to consider so I will probably go shopping soon. Don't know how often I will update, but it helps to have a place to write it all down. Thanks Acne.org!

I couldn't wait to go shopping, didn't really know what I was looking for, but I have been looking at comedogenic ingredients lists all day so felt prepared ;) Who knew it would be SO hard to find a gentle, thorough cleanser without SLS or a moisturizer without a bunch of pore clogging ingredients???? I settled on Aveeno Calming cleanser and Cetaphil (store brand mind you) lotion. The Aveeno was a little pricey for the small size but if it works I don't mind. I use Rose Wonder cold cream to take off my eye makeup so that shouldn't be an issue either. The lotion I know some people say is greasy but I tried it in the store and it absorbed fine. I am home most of the day with my youngest so shine isn't a problem and I'll just blot if I need to go out. Not sure how it will work with makeup, but I am trying to cut back on how much I wear and how often.

Okay, enough for now. Tonight is night two of the regimen. (I'm only applying at night the first week to slowly get my skin adjusted.)

Today will be day 5....still only applying about 1/3 finger of b.p. at night.

I have finally noticed some dryness after I wash my face and moisturizer stung last night a bit. So I know the effects of the b.p. are kicking in. I am breaking out a little in a couple different areas, probably thanks to AF starting next week. I have a monster on my forehead that just keeps swelling up and going back down, annoying. Also my skin was super oily this morning when I woke up. Maybe my skin trying to counteract any dryness?

Overall, nothing really bad to report. Except I saw this morning I have managed to bleach a spot on my baby's pajamas? I've been very careful, using white towels/t-shirt all that, but it's possible I had him up on my shoulder last night before bed and his arm went around and swiped my face. No biggie, just have to be careful about what touches my face. Speaking of THAT, I work from home, at the computer most of the day so I have GOT to make an effort to keep my hands off. I know my skin will only benefit from it.

Looking forward to adding in the a.m. treatment this week!

Day 8 (I'm glad I started on the 1st so I know what day I'm on!). Week One is over!

My skin has been adjusting really well to the b.p., because I've been going slowly. Last night I was bad and picked a little so I used 3/4 finger. Figured it was time for that anyway and my skin looks better this morning. Cyclops zit is history, hallelujah. But the monster on my forehead is red and stubborn. I put xtra b.p. on it last night and it is a little less sore today. Same with a big one on my right cheekbone. Just a few little dry patches by my mouth and chin but not irritated or itchy. I think I will just work my way up to a full finger of b.p. at night and see how my skin reacts before trying to add it in the a.m. I like being able to wash and apply lotion in the mornings without worrying about rubbing b.p. on the baby or my clothes during the day.

I am really liking the Aveeno cleanser. It takes off oil and makeup but isn't drying and no strong fragrance. Also helps take out a little redness but that comes back if I put on too much lotion. Just a pea size of the Cetaphil is good enough for me. Sometimes I dab on a little more under makeup to keep it smooth though. I hate redmarks!!!

Edited by Golthie

Ugh. Definitely PMS breakout time. Today is not a good day. Going back and reading my earlier posts, it doesn't sound like my skin is bad, but trust me....it is. Too many redmarks to count and now too many new breakouts to count, especially on my right jawline, neck area. A few new around my mouth, chin too. Must find a silver lining! Took care of the forehead monster last night and it is dying yay! My hairline is also looking clearer.

Just read the what to expect page again...my skin is not red, irritated, or itchy. Just a little dry after I wash. Hmmmm....it's probably safe to start adding in a layer of b.p. in the morning to combat this breakout. Oh! Also what helps...close your eyes or step away from the mirror while you rub in the b.p. That way you can really FEEL the places you need to get and how gentle you should be. I realized I wasn't being gentle when putting on lotion either; was extra careful this morning and it showed.

Did I mention I HATE redmarks? ;)

Day 12....I am up to a full finger of b.p. at night.

My skin gets a bit red after each step in the regimen but it fades quickly and really the only flakes I have are around my mouth/chin. Cetaphil takes care of that, but I can't put on too much or it burns. My forehead monster is now just slightly raised and pink, should heal in a couple more days the stubborn booger. Breakout on my chin is healing quickly and had two new pop up on the left, clearer side of my face. Neck is still broken out but should start healing in a few days, especially since AF is due this week.

Gonna stick with it!

Two new spots trying to come up...one on the right side and one under my nose. I hate those! They take forever to go away and leave ugly marks. I iced that one and it looks a little better; hoping to kill it with some b.p. tonight. A few new red marks on the left side and big one healing on my neck.

The skin where I don't have breakouts is looking better. Still redmarks and a little dry but not terribly. No all-over redness or itchiness. I'm glad I started slowly because I like to wear makeup and flakes would've been too time consuming to work around. I did buy some new makeup yesterday that is fragrance free and says non-comedogenic/non-acnegenic. The ingredients look o.k.; I tried it yesterday a little while and it just evens out my skin tone, very natural looking. Got some bronzer too since my face is now lighter than the rest of my summer-tanned self :D I try to only wear makeup when I'm going out and for a few hours at a time, not all day.

Just wanted to note....I used Cetaphil cleanser for over a year because it is "gentle" and thought it was fine. Since switching to Aveeno, I've noticed I have less clogged pores! I always wondered where those little flesh colored bumps were coming from and never thought it could be the Cetaphil. Maybe it is just too rich for my skin. Anyway, my skin is smoother, just a few on my temples/jawline I will attribute to AF, who showed up as predicted. Silver Lining.

Edited by Golthie

Thanks Katharine :) I am trying to stay positive, even though there are days my skin really gets me down.

I know my skin WILL get better. It always goes nuts when I get my cycle back after the baby. I've had three now, so I know the drill ;) By his first birthday things should be calming down. I just hate the marks it leaves behind.

Day 15...Added a thin layer of b.p. this morning to my routine. Two new spots on the right side :( Accidentally scratched the one on my neck and it bled so may take a few extra days to heal. I would love, love to eventually get Dan's AHA to even out my skin tone. Maybe next month.

Forgot to add in all the craziness, we are building a house! Sheetrock goes in today. My husband was a painter for almost 10 years and worked with a tile company for a few so he will be doing all that work himself the next couple of weeks. Would love to be in by Thanksgiving! but are shooting for Dec. 1st so we can get the tax stimulus ($8000!). So I need to be focusing on house stuff, not my skin! :lol:

I'm sure your beautiful kids make you forget about the bad skin days :)

Also try to stay stree free! I've heard that building a house is totally stressfull,

but when the result comes out, eveything will worth it!

Yes! No stress would be great ;)

Day 16.... New breakouts last night. One just above each temple (anyone else ever notice the "mirror" zits. You get one in exactly the same place on each side of your face? happens now and again.) Tiny one on the bridge of my nose near the corner of my eye. What the?! but of course I don't put b.p. there. Small one just under my left eye too. Medium-ish one on my chin. I'm counting this as my 2 week breakout since I've been slow with the b.p. Made sure to slather on a full fat finger last night. Looks like it helped. Lots of red marks still sticking around.

OMG, you're so right on the "mirror" zit. a lot of times, when I get one zit on one side, sooner or later, the other side of my face actually would have a clogged pore around the same location.

This is the only time when I believe in the theory of Chinese medicine. The theory that there are reflective area on your face. For example, if you got problem with your digestive system, it should reflect on your cheek, that's why both cheeks got affected. ( this is not the exact right references about cheek is relating to digestive system, I'm just trying to make a point here)

Edited by katharine

Day 19... My skin is finally dry and pink. But not unbearably so. Still using a full fat finger of b.p. at night. I just don't think I'm ready to use it in the a.m. other than spot treating for now. I have not been religous about using moisturizer at night, which I know would help the dryness. I just don't like how it sits on top of my face and never seems to fully absorb. Still breaking out, though they are small and healing fast, still lots of redmarks though a few from the beginning are fading. The zits are "running" from the b.p. :lol: I remember that from last time. Little microzits around my lips, under my earlobe, by my eyebrow...places I don't focus putting the b.p. on every time. Just gonna stick with getting my skin used to the b.p. before I worry about clearing up. Even when I used clindamycin it took 4 weeks before I saw actual improvement. This WILL work.

Edited by Golthie

Day 22...3 weeks using Dan's regimen. Still pretty dry and flakey, still breaking out and clearing up at the same time. It is taking some time to get my skin used to the b.p. Is all this still gunk already formed weeks ago that is coming up? Still have a small red one under my left eye...it is stubborn and keeps re-filling. Almost a week with that one now. A plus is blackheads are drying up and falling out or I can gently remove them with tweezers. I have to stop myself from getting out the magnifying mirror :naughty: Due for my small hormonal breakout this week, then should start clearing up which will end in week 4. My mom and sister are planning a visit the first weekend in November...would love to be looking much better by then!

Day 26.........

I had to give my skin a little break. Saturday I only applied a thin layer of b.p. in the morning and just moisturized at night. My face almost sighed audibly at the respite :) Back to a full finger last night. But in the last 3 or so days I've gotten at least 5 new zits worth mentioning. A few small red and whiteheads too but I think those were due to makeup and are fading fast. Three medium-ish red ones on my cheek. Three. Close together. Combined with PURPLE and red marks from previous weeks, yeah, my face isn't looking so hot. Yuck and Double Yuck. I naturally have very fair skin that tans and freckles easily so these breakouts are leaving awful marks. Cannot wait to get Dan's AHA, but I have to get used to the b.p. first.

It would be nice to just do the regimen and not think about my skin or care what others think. Easier said than done. I HATE thinking about my skin all the time. Gotta work on that. Still taking a long time to get up to the full dose of b.p. twice a day. I know the extra application will kill these trying to pop up, but my face just gets SO pink and dry. I have three boys, but I am NOT patient when it comes to my skin :lol:

Just gonna keep pushing through and see what happens. I know it will take a few months because my acne is STUBBORN. Always has been. It doesn't help that I pick :redface:

On top of it all, the swine flu is going around and my 9 month old has a fever :( I was up most of the night with him. I have a stuffy nose/sore throat/earache too. So back to bed we go with drinks, snacks, and the t.v. remote. AFTER I do my skincare regimen.

Day 28.....

Still breaking out and clearing up at the same time. The three new ones are healing pretty quickly, so that's good. But a new one popped up nearby :( A few new random small ones that should be gone in a day or two. That makes 10 or 12 active/healing spots and lots of redmarks. A few purple ones too. One VERY dark purple mark on my left cheek from a cyst that finally died. This should be my week to clear up a bit before another hormonal breakout. Hopefully the b.p. will keep it down a little this time. I've used the b.p. morning AND night for two days, just whatever I think my skin can handle. Applying the majority of it on troublesome areas seems to help. The little red one under my left eye is STILL there!! I don't know how to get rid of it???

Excited about month two and maybe getting some AHA! Plus hubby laid the tile on the kitchen floor in the new house last night! Hope to be in it the end of November :)

Day 32..... I started this regimen the first day of October and today is the first day of November. My skin looks worse than when I started. But that's to be expected right??? Since adding the b.p. in the morning, my skin has gotten worse. Well, my forehead and nose are clear, but I broke out all over my chin and this morning have mirror zits on either side of almost the middle of my face. I feel SO ugly! My skin cannot heal. Zits that are dying are just staying red red red. STILL have the little red zit under my eye. It will NOT go away. Wierd. One in the corner of my mouth too that is VERY red. My son thought it was bbq sauce he could wipe away for me (he's 3) :)

I don't know if I should push on and keep using the b.p. or stop for a few days and give my skin a chance to heal. My mom and sister will be here Friday and I do NOT want my face to be a mess while they are here. Of course they are family and they will understand, but my mom is the type of person who will go home and say "Man, did you see her skin?" or "Wow, her skin looked really bad" I will be hiding under my makeup today. :(

Three new pimples. I drained two of them because they heal so much faster if I do! Found out today I have a bladder infection so I got a Rx for Bactrim antibiotic. I've read it has some affect on acne too so that may be a bonus! Especially if it starts working quickly! I have 3 days to improve my skin. I continued on with the b.p. just skipped this morning because I had to run errands and didn't have time. Skin is dry but not red or irritated so that's a plus. Definitely going to get some spf moisturizer for the a.m.

Edited by Golthie

Day 36....Starting week 6 using Dan's regimen!

The b.p. seems to make healing spots super red, almost purple until they dry up and peel off. Not attractive. I have about 5 of those right now. Lots of leftover red/purple marks. But no active acne. There's a small dot way up on my cheekbone but I think it will die easily :) I've been using a full finger on the lower half of my face at night since just a small amount seems to keep my forehead clear. So it finally seems like I see some improvement! Breakouts have definitely slowed. I don't mind a zit or two. It's the 10 or 12 I can't handle thank you very much. Pushing on! Clear skin here I come.

I don't know if anyone reads this, but I wanted to add a few favorite products I use:

Dove Ultimate Visibly Smooth Deoderant in wild rose <<< smells great! and really works

Jergens Soft Lotion <<< my absolute favorite all over body lotion

C.O. Bigelow Rose Wonder Cold Cream <<< takes off mascara, keeps my eye area hydrated

Aveeno Ultra Calming Foaming face wash <<< reduces redness, not irritating or comedogenic

Always Infinity pads <<< they have magic-like absorbency!!

Pure Ice Nail Polish <<< gorgeous colors

I'm sure there's more, but just thought I'd put them here for me, or whoever.

Day 39.....

Well the full finger on the lower half of my face gave me sunburn like redness and peeling. I had to skip b.p. a few times. AF is due this week so I have about 6 new pimples. Darn it. I was hoping the regimen would keep those at bay. Gonna go back to the amount of b.p. that was working before. A.M. and P.M. Every day. I think the Cetaphil is too heavy. I can't use Cetaphil cleanser cause it clogs my pores. Will look at reviews online tomorrow for a new moisturizer. My skin looks terrible. And to top it all off, my twin sister went into labor the day my mom/other sister came 10 hours to see me. They turned around and left to go be with her instead. I totally understand and wish I could've gone too but the stress/crying was not good for my skin. I always break out when I cry. Have since high school. Bleh. Gonna give the regimen another month.

The hurricane is headed right for us. Talk about stress.

I know I am posting a lot. I can't help it. My skin really gets me down. I should be focusing on work and the new house and my three beautiful boys. But always my FACE is bothering me. I know worrying about it does not help. I know it will clear up eventually. Just seems like it's not working. I'm not using two full fingers of b.p. twice a day yet, hoping to avoid all the redness/flakiness but maybe I should just suck it up and do it anyway. *sigh* Can't wait for summer and the pool because that always clears me up nicely. l know if I didn't pick so much I would clear up more, but I CANNOT walk around with a white zit on my face. I do pop them "correctly" but either way, it still leaves a scar. And I say "scar" because they stay for years. I am going to ditch the Cetaphil and see if it helps. I want to cry today.

On a sidenote, tomorrow is my last day on Bactrim. No effect on my skin at all. Disappointed.

Edited by Golthie

Bought a L'Oreal skin genesis spf moisturizer today. It was on sale for $10 instead of $20. Thought I'd go a little more expensive. Do you really get what you pay for? We'll see. It came with a sample of the serum too, so this afternoon I washed my face and tried both. My skin instantly looked better. Smooth and soothed. Brandy suggested I add a little water to the Cetaphil to thin it down so I may do that at night. Going to use a full finger of b.p. twice a day and just deal with the redness. I am also going to go without full makeup as much as possible to see if it helps. I really want this to work!

I cannot believe how much better my skin looks since using the L'Oreal moisturizer/serum! After only two applications. It makes my face look SO much better. Keeping my fingers crossed that this will continue and it won't clog my pores or make me breakout. For now, it is helping things heal, Hallelujah :dance:

Day 44....

My face is a mess of red and purple marks of all shapes and sizes. I hate to think about how I looked this time last year when I was pregnant and using clindamycin. I barely needed makeup. Makes me sad because I know it will take forever for these marks to heal. I actually only have one small active zit so I am happy about that and I am loving the loreal moisturizer. It felt really good on top of the b.p. last night. Not greasy and did not burn. I had planned on using the full finger of b.p. in the mornings too but haven't been able to add it in yet because the full amount at night leaves burn marks where healing zits are. This is my week to "clear up," HA.

*forgot to add...as soon as the baby is no longer nursing, I'm going to try Aleve to combat hormonal breakouts. I also want Dan's AHA for these marks!*

Edited by Golthie

Just read through some of your more recent posts. I started a couple weeks after you, and feel I am experiencing basically the same things you are, except I'm not too certain if my breakouts are hormonal. But I noticed when I switched birth controls back in May my acne continuously got worse, so I contribute it to the new birth control.

Anyway, good to hear you only have one active pimple!! I know how those scars/red marks feel though!! On the right side of my face my whole jaw cheek area is filled with them from the first couple weeks on the regimen and now my left side is breaking out badly and leaving marks...

I just ordered some AHA since I had to replenish my face wash already and have used it as a spot treatment on an active pimple on my face and then also on my back where I'm finally beginning to clear from the BP. I didn't notice any burning or stinging like others say, and it made that one pimple on my face come to a head overnight! I'm hoping to eventuallly use it all over to help with red marks, but fear an initial purging :(.

I too pop all those whiteheads, but appropriately, as you do. It's nearly impossible to walk around with a big old white thing staring everyone in the face! I'd rather it just be red, and it heals faster that way. For me, I get red marks regardless if I pop or not, so I figure I'll just pop.

Hope everything continues to get better for you! Acne is stressful and makes us all feel ugly at some point or another...it's frustrating, but we have to stick with it!!