Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
skamen

How Many of You Broke Out Until the End of Your Course?

For those of you who have completed a course of Accutane: how many of you broke out until the end of your course? I'm currently in my 7th month and am still breaking out to some extent. It's very frustrating and discouraging, especially as this is the last month of my course. I was originally going to do a 5 month course but my dermatologist extended my course to 7 months as I was still breaking out when I went to see her for my 5th month check up. I'm definitely breaking out less than I was before I started but am still suffering from breakouts that will come for a few days, clear up for a few days and then cycle back to breaking out again. As far as my dosages, I took 40 mg a day for my first month, 80 mg up until my 5th month and I have been taking 100mg a day since my 5th month.

The interesting thing is that I'm generally breaking out in places that I hardly ever broke out in before I started Accutane. Before Accutane, I was mostly breaking out around my chin and lips. Now, I'm breaking out on my cheeks and the sides of face. This makes me hopeful that maybe when I end my course that I will stop breaking out in these areas. When I last saw my dermatologist last week, she said he's interested to see how I my skin reacts when I stop taking Accutane.

For me it's discouraging at the moment because it feels like I will be stuck with breaking out forever as I'm near the end of my course and am still breaking out. The thought that I am going to stop taking Accutane and am still breaking is bothering me quite a bit. Unfortunately, I'm obsessing over each little breakout more at this point then I was before because I feel like that if Accutane is going to work for me that I should not still be breaking out 7th months in during the last month of my course. I've been able to deal with my breakouts better in the past because I have been able to focus on how the breakouts will end when Accutane starts to take effect. Now that I'm almost done and am still dealing with breakouts, it's much harder to remain optimistic.

I'm trying to remain optimistic from what I've read about people not clearing up until they finish their course and stop taking Accutane. Have any of you had this experience? What was the end of your course like in terms of breaking out?

Thanks,

-Scott

Urgh!!! As I am taking 100mg a day, my dermatologist does not want to keep me on longer than 7 months. I feel like I'm really in a bind. Should I hope that I clear up when I stop taking Accutane (which is why I am so curious to see if others have cleared up after stopping) or press my dermatologist to extend my course beyond 7 months? Should I certainly be clear before stopping Accutane?

i was on accutane for nearly a year. My face was clear after 6 months but i was still breaking out on my back.

Im clear apart from the occasional spot. its been over 2 year since i stop taking accutane

I saw the other post by X3Kell3X who seems to be in a similar situation to me. My big question at the moment is should I stick with my dermatologist's plan and stop taking Accutane at the end of 7 months and hope that I clear up after I am off of Accutane or should I do what I can to press my dermatologist to continue my course and keep taking Accutane until I am having no breakouts?

I'm currently scheduled to end my course in about 3 weeks and then see my dermatologist about 3 weeks after that. From the sounds of it my dermatologist does not want to continue my course beyond 7 months because I'm taking 100 mg a day and he thinks that is a high dosage to take for a long period of time. From my perspective, it seems that if I'm not clear at the end of 7 months that I should continue until I'm clear instead of waiting for some period of time and then going for a second course. However, I don't know if there is the possibility of clearing up after ending the course like some people have mentioned.

I'm certainly more clear then when I started, but I am still having some breakouts and unfortunately worry and stress about each new breakout as I'm constantly hoping that I am going to "get over the hump" and essentially stop breaking out.

Thanks again,

-Scott

Since you're actually going to a derm, why don't you ask him why you're still breaking out and if there's something you can do? Maybe he knows something who knows

Since you're actually going to a derm, why don't you ask him why you're still breaking out and if there's something you can do? Maybe he knows something who knows

As it stands right now, I won't be seeing the dermatologist until 3 weeks after I run out of Accutane. That's why I'd like to figure out whether I should move my appointment up by 3 weeks and press my derm to extend my course or whether I should go along with his plan of ending my course in 3 weeks and seeing how my face looks 3 weeks after ending Accutnae.

-Scott

oh my gosh, its so frustrating! the thing is im only on 60mg and they won't bump it up. Thats why i can't help but think im doing something wrong, like what i use on my face. That maybe those products are breaking me out, but isn;t accutane strong enough to even get rid of those breakouts? idk.. its confusing. what do u use skamen? (face wash, moisturizer, etc.)

oh my gosh, its so frustrating! the thing is im only on 60mg and they won't bump it up. Thats why i can't help but think im doing something wrong, like what i use on my face. That maybe those products are breaking me out, but isn;t accutane strong enough to even get rid of those breakouts? idk.. its confusing. what do u use skamen? (face wash, moisturizer, etc.)

I use Johnson Clean & Clear face wash and Cetapil Moisturizer. I don't think these things are causing me to break out as I've always used them and at this point on Accutane I go from clearing up to breaking out and back through the cycle again.

If anyone out there has any experience with breaking out at the end of their Accutane course and whether they cleared up after ending their course I would really appreciate any information or advice you could offer. My big question is whether I should press my dermatologist to extend my course beyond 7 months or follow his plan of ending my course in 3 weeks and then visiting him to see how I look 3 weeks after Accutane.

Hey Skamen,

I have been on 60mg a day. I was meant to finish at the 5th month but due to breaking out still my derm extended the course. I am now on my 8th month and finishing on wednesday. In the last month my face has cleared amazingly and I am just left with red marks but no acne.

Throughout my whole course I was worried that my breakouts were due to the moisteriser I was using or face wash etc......when I spoke to my derm she advised me to just use luke warm water on my face to open the pores and cold to close them. She told me to not use any face wash whatsoever. Just moisterise. Coincidently my face has cleared amazingly. May also be due to the fact that I packed in smoking also 5 months ago?

But It maysound nasty or what not I dunno, but I noticed a difference in just using water to clean my face and moisteriser afterwards. My derm always reasured me also by telling me that it is perfectly normal to be breaking out throughout the course. Remember, 60mg a day is still a large amount. My weight is 62kg and I have been on 60mg for 8months now.....I think thats about right? But bear in mind that the dosage compared to your weight decides whether its powerful or not.

Good luck bud

Danny

Thanks for the input! So has anyone out there actually gone from breaking out at the end of their course to not breaking out anymore after ending their course? I hear from my dermatologist that that can be the case for some people but I've not heard from anyone that has had that experience. I'm just really worried about ending my course while still breaking out, waiting two months and then going through another course again.

Thanks again,

-Scott

Thats crazy how she just had u wash with water.. Im nervous that the products i use break me out. and plus im a girl so of course makeup is always a factor..

I've been on claravis for almost 2 months. First month 60mgs and now 80mg. I'm also breaking out worst, then before. I used to have acne only along my chin and jaw but now it has spread to my cheeks and forhead. It's pretty depressing, I want to be optimistic but its hard. My face was never really oily in the first place, but its super dry but no results. Im talking with my derm in a week, hopefully she doesn't bullshit me again.

I believe washing with only water has helped massively and would reccomend it to anyone. My skin no longer gets irritated by cleansers that were doing more harm then good and the main thing is my face is now clear. If it was a bad thing I am sure my face would look like a pizza right now, like it did when I was using cleansers, but instead it has cleared incredibly.

danny

I'm sorry to keep pushing the question but my D-Day is coming up. If I'm going to move my appointment up and try to convince my dermatologist to extend my course, I need to do it soon.

I'm still having breakouts and have about 2 weeks left in the 7th and final month of my course (of what was originally intended to be a 5 month course). I just really feel like I'm in a bind and I'm not sure what to do. Do any of you think there is any reasonable chance that I will clear up after ending my course? I'm just so frustrated about going through almost 7 months of Accutane and still worrying about and dealing with breakouts. Yes, I've improved but most people are not still having new breakouts at this stage in their course. It seems like virtually everyone on this forum was clear at least at the end of their course.

It doesn't seem like my breakouts are necessarily improving at this point either. They come in waves where I'll clear up for a few days and then breakout again in a few places. I seem to breakout more often in new places than I did before Accutane but the pimples also seem to go away much quicker as well. At this point, I'm trying to hope that the waves of breakouts will cease when I go off of Accutane but I'm also wondering if going off Accutane will simply "stall" me where I'm at in terms of preventing breakouts. Any advice from people who have experienced the late stages of an Accutane (and post Accutane experience) course would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

-Scott

I'm sorry to keep dredging up my question but I'm really desperate to see if anyone out there has cleared up or stopped breaking out after their course has ended. I'm still having some breakouts and unfortunately I stress out too much about each of them because I fear that they will get worse and I feel like like I should be through with breakouts 7 months into my course if Accutane is going to work for me. I've got two weeks left on my 7 month course and am worried that I will still be fretting about breakouts after I go off of Accutane.

Thanks,

-Scott

Scott - I would just talk to my derm and tell him/her how you feel and you're concerns.

I'm still breaking out month 2 is about two end, and I'm getting acne on my cheeks and forhead which I've need had before :confused: I might try the just washing with water thing, but I'm worried my skin will get really dry with no moisturizer, it's all pretty dry.

I reccomend the washing with just water, but I wouldnt stop moisterising. That would be nuts in my opinion. I found that dry skin irritated my face just as much as facial wash. But everybody is different. I would never of got to where I am now in my course without moisterising.

Danny

The problem is that since I'm supposed to end my course at the end of 7 months, I'm not scheduled to see my derm until 3 weeks after I finish my supply of Accutane. I'm taking 100mg a day and have been for the last 3 months. Before that I was taking 80mg a day. I'm trying to remain hopeful that if there is any truth to the the cumulative dose theory that I will benefit from being way over the required 120 to 150 mg per kg of body mass (I did the mass and think that I'll be at something like 232mg/kg).

My situation is a bit strange because I was on Accutane twice when I was much younger (13 or so, I'm 23 now). I didn't have any serious problems with acne for years and years until about this time last year when the acne came back out of nowhere. The only thing that makes sense to me was that the courses of Accutane that I took when I was younger worked for all of those years and then basically wore off last year. That at least gives me hope that if I do clear up that maybe I will be clear for a very long time.

Danny, I will have to think about trying no facial wash and only using water. I've never had a problem with my face wash making me break out in the past. Did your face wash make you breakout before Accutane or was it only that your skin was espescially sensitive while you were on Accutane that your face wash made you break out.

If anyone has any words of wisdom from their experiences I would definitely appreciate it.

Thanks for the input,

-Scott

Hey skamen,

I used facial wash from the age of 14. I developed acne at around 13. The facial wash seemed to help reduce the amount of oil that my face was drowning in. Started accutane ages 23, and the facial wash worked at the beginning for me, but once my face started drying up, it felt as if the facial wash was scrubbing my skin? Everytime I finished washing my face there would be red marks all over the place. Now with the water only method, I just feel fresher. Less irritated and abit more at ease knowing there are no chemicals going on my face (except moisteriser) and letting accutane do its thing. But you are on a high dose! So talk to your derm about the options....ring them and ask about the water thing. They know whats best. I have only been on 60mg for 8 and a half months....and now down to 40mg for my final month and a half due to side effects. I can imagine your face being reeealllyyy sensitive.

Good luck bud

Danny

Hey skamen,

I used facial wash from the age of 14. I developed acne at around 13. The facial wash seemed to help reduce the amount of oil that my face was drowning in. Started accutane ages 23, and the facial wash worked at the beginning for me, but once my face started drying up, it felt as if the facial wash was scrubbing my skin? Everytime I finished washing my face there would be red marks all over the place. Now with the water only method, I just feel fresher. Less irritated and abit more at ease knowing there are no chemicals going on my face (except moisteriser) and letting accutane do its thing. But you are on a high dose! So talk to your derm about the options....ring them and ask about the water thing. They know whats best. I have only been on 60mg for 8 and a half months....and now down to 40mg for my final month and a half due to side effects. I can imagine your face being reeealllyyy sensitive.

Good luck bud

Danny

When did you clear up for the most part during your course? I don't have that problem with red marks after the facial wash so I might not have that issue with the face wash.

Yeah, I know 100mg a day for 7 months is a lot (well the last 3, 80mg a day before that). That's one of the major reasons I'm so discouraged that I'm still breaking out.

-Scott

the same thing is happening to me. I am about done with month 5 and my skin was awful last week and i had a huge cyst on my chin and i even had to call the derm and they prescribed me something to tone it down. Ill have stages where im clear, then my chins bad, then forehead. its a never ending cycle. The derm said i should be completely clear by the end of this month, which is on wednesday and im not.. Derms are annoying seriously. I actually have heard of people's skin getting better AFTER tane but im not positive. call them. set up an emergency appt even if its in the middle of the month and not at the end. tell them its urgent. they won't turn it down.

And during my appt im bringing ALL my skincare stuff and im going to ask them what i should and shouldn't use and whats irritating it. The thing is, anything strong enough to remove makeup is going to be drying... Its a lose lose situation.

I still can't figure out if accutane is worth it.

I sure hope so

Again, I'm sorry to keep pulling up this same question and topic back up but I've got a week left in the 7th and final month of my course. My derm will not extend my course beyond 7 months at my dosage (100 mg/day). I'm definitely better but still experiencing breakouts and whiteheads. I'm really trying to stay positive that I will clear up AFTER I finish my course.

I haven't seen anyone write on here that they've actually cleared up after finishing their course. I've only seen people mention that they've heard that it's possible. Has anyone out there not actually cleared up until AFTER finishing their course

Thanks again,

-Scott

Hey, I am there with you. I'm in my 5th month and still getting an occasional whitehead or pustule. I would LOVE to stop breaking out before my course is done.

Read through the Positive Accutane Experiences thread. There are a couple of people who report that they broke out throughout their course, then cleared up afterward. I'm too lazy to go look them all up now, but the screen name WhiterShade rings a bell. Check out the photos on her log, too, she cleared up like gangbusters. Her pics have given me a lot of hope throughout my course.

Good luck!