Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
crittermonster

Where are you guys finding these derms?

Hi all. Well, I've been lurking a while and now I'll post.

A typical day, sitting around with a volcano shaped bright red cyst on my forehead, which has been here all week. Real nice when you're 39 years old, but I'm used to it by now. :wall:

So tell me, where are all of you finding these dermatologists who will give you cortisone shots/extract cysts on short notice?

Even if I can GET an appointment with any derm within a month (good luck!!) Nobody I've ever been to see has taken me seriously. All they ever want to do is feed me antibiotics which eventually stop working, put a bunch of creams on me which don't do bull-squat, and I'm getting to the point where I just want to wear 3 Nuvarings at one time. Maybe I WILL.

When I was 16 I did Accutane and it was the ONLY thing which ever worked for me. Took care of the problem for 10 years, but after that it all came back and these days it seems nobody will give Accutane to anyone with a uterus. I even heard it got pulled off the market (is that true)?

Someone please tell me where I can see one of the magic docs (available quickly, will do serious work) in Chicago.

Edited by crittermonster

If you want to inject a cyst, you can always call ahead to make sure the derm offers that service before you make an appointment. And once you're a patient, most derms will let you come in as-needed for a quick injection since it only takes a few minutes.

I've actually had better luck seeing an endocrinologist at my gyno's office, rather than a derm, for my acne treatment... but then again, I'm using hormonal treatment in conjunction with topical treatment.

If you want to try another course of accutane, you can also ask the derm's office about their willingness to prescribe accutane before making an appointment.

Accutane is still very much on the market and if you don't plan on getting pregnant in the forseeable future, getting another round of it shouldn't be that big of a deal, especially since you were successfully treated with it in the past.

Since you live in the Chicago area, why not contact the dermatology department of one the great teaching hospitals in that area. The dermatology staff at one of the teaching hospitals should be comprehensive in approach and treatment.

Joe Zit

Edited by Joe Zit

thanks all. My husband works at one of the great hospitals so I know I could get an appt there, but not in months!

I guess I was just wanting to know who these lucky people are who can "just go in and have it injected". I totally feel for the poster who wanted to know if they can do the inject DIY because seriously, unless your mom is a dermatologist, who can make an appointment so soon??????

as for the Tane, I'm definitlely asking for it. but since it's a Catholic hospital I wonder if they'll Rx it for me since I can't take it w/o using birth control (at least that's what I understand the new rules are....didn't I hear you have to jump thru all kinds of legal hoops and sign a pledge and all?).

There is certainly more than one teaching hospital in the Chicago area, why do you have to go to the one your husband works at? Have you inquired at the other hospitals or are you generalizing? Then too, if you are concerned about the birth control angle (which I am unfamiliar with other than the fact that if you are female you are not supposed to get pregnant) why not ask, the same thing about the pledge. It seems to me that you have relied a tad more on heresay and what other people have told you rather than find the answers first-hand. I think any pharmacist would have information on the pledge, and I am sure that you could make inquiries at any number of dermatologist's offices (they all aren't going to blow you off). Frankly, in the city the size of Chicago with all the 'burbs around it, I cannot understand why you cannot get an appointment or at least get some basic information. Certainly your husband must have some connections at the hospital where he works at.

Joe Zit

Yeah Joe,

true that I'm basing some of this on hearsay. Hearing that Accutane was banned, for example-- knowing that's just Internet alarmist twaddle makes me feel better. And that stupid "Pledge" might be more of the same (although I think I read about it here....)

But the waits at hospitals, no joke. At my husband's, the next available derm appointment is in December. gawwww!

Getting appointments at any of the Big Hospitals around here is never quick. I used to go to Northwestern for everything (this was before DH got job at his hosp) and wow, getting an appt in a couple weeks was quick work... my parents go to U of C Hospitals, again same thing.

Now, I would prefer to stay with hubby's hospital because 1) if I do, it's free and 2) he is in marketing, so his job is to encourage people to choose his hospital! :angel: but if it turns out they're weird about it, well then I will have to go elsewhere.

oh well. I did succeed in getting an appt to an OB-GYN ;) that'll be in a couple of weeks...I'm gonna ask her for a referral to someone.

The pledge is real, I know because I had to sign it, but for a mature a adult, it is really merely pro-forma and not that big of a deal. I think that many of our younger members make more of it because this is the first time that they have to sign some kind of disclaimer. This summer I had to have gall bladder surgery, and I had to sign a waiver/disclaimer, for instance, and the accutane pledge is really no different. It is just another example of our litigious society.

In any event, I wish you the best of luck in getting an appointment.

Joe Zit

The pledge is real, I know because I had to sign it, but for a mature a adult, it is really merely pro-forma and not that big of a deal. I think that many of our younger members make more of it because this is the first time that they have to sign some kind of disclaimer. This summer I had to have gall bladder surgery, and I had to sign a waiver/disclaimer, for instance, and the accutane pledge is really no different. It is just another example of our litigious society.

Joe Zit

The pledge is real, I know because I had to sign it, but for a mature adult, it is really merely pro-forma and not that big of a deal. I think that many of our younger members make more of it because this is the first time that they have to sign some kind of disclaimer. This summer I had to have gall bladder surgery, and I had to sign a waiver/disclaimer, for instance, and the accutane pledge is really no different. It is just another example of our litigious society.

Joe Zit

Edited by Joe Zit

The iPledge was made to make sure that if something happens the blame isn't going to be put on the Brand which produces the isotretinoin...

Edited by ItalianBoy

Thanks guys. I did some reading up on it and the ipledge doesn't sound sinister, just $#^%& annoying. I mean, it's not a one-time disclaimer...it's every dang month, taking those pregnancy tests and basically presenting your credentials over and over again, and if you miss the time window to pick up your new month's bottle, too bad for you. Wait till next one.

I know it's for a good cause, but the red tape....agh. I guess it was that or they'd pull 'Tane off the market.

When I first took it in 1987, all they did was ask me to double dog promise swear I wasn't gonna have a baby while I was on the stuff. I guess since then, women really haven't proved that they take the responsibility seriously :( How sad.

Edited by crittermonster

iPledge is a hassle, but it has good intentions. Once you complete the initial testing to get the first prescription in your hands it gets much easier.

You won't find Accutane on the market anymore, but you will find other isotretinoin brands like Sotret, Claravis, and Amnesteem. Good luck!

I feel too embarrassed to even try to get to a Derma.

I doubt I'll ever go either. I feel that I can cure my own self. And by reading what a lot of people here say, they seem to only want money.

I doubt I'll ever go either. I feel that I can cure my own self. And by reading what a lot of people here say, they seem to only want money.

Well, derms can be effective.... but the problem is that they just aren't very good about telling patients, in detail, what's going on with their skin (what acne is), how the prescription products work, why the products are efficacious, what you should expect, etc...

But you shouldn't be embarrassed about seeing a derm. They aren't there to judge you, just to diagnose you and offer prescription strength treatments based on that diagnosis.

But anyway, if you're planning to treat yourself, I'd say check out the holistic boards.. or if you're planning on topicals, look into AHA/BHA exfoliants and benzoyl peroxide...

There are plenty of folks out there who share your sentiment, and for a percentage of them, a holistic/nutruional approach works (yes, contrary to what some might think, I do get that). Here's the deal Mr. Helper: What if going to a derm does help you? What if taking anti-biotics or a round of isoretonin does clear your condition? It is imprudent not to look at ALL treatment options. If a derm doesn't work for you then try the alternate route. I believe that most who go holistic have tried conventional medicine first.

If we take your premise to the extreme, I suppose that if you break your leg, you will set it and splint it yourself.

Joe Zit

Well, I did help my own self. I'm not near as bad as before. I'm pretty "mild" to the standards on the boards. I was a mess before. So I didn't need help from a derm. And I'd still feel embarrassed. I just don't like talking about it.

But I already broke my arms and fractured bones. It wasn't embarrassing since they're not focusing on your face.