Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
joeshep

Do you think you sometimes exaggerate the severity of your acne?

People always used to say to me that my acne wasn't that bad at all, but I'd always disagree. I've had girlfriends who I've spoken to it about and they always said the same thing..that they could barely really notice it. I always just assumed they were saying it to try and make me feel better.

I spose it's just a case of mirror's just making it stand out more..

People always exaggerate their own flaws.

If it's on your own body and you have to deal with it everyday, you will think it's a bigger deal than it is to other people.

i was the opposite. i think i was in denial and always used to think my skin wasnt that bad.

Ive been clear over 2 years since taking accutane but have bad scars. I didnt think my scars were that bad either until someone told me i looked like that character in grease film. it hit me quite hard, a sort of realisaton that my skin was not good

I don't think we can "exaggerate" things,

unless there is a universal standard .

but talking about how bad "you" think your acne is,

it's your personal standard.

also it's all based on your own experience.

Person A got 10 active cysts,

Person B never got anything for her entire life except some blackheads,

so even 1 cysts would be "serve" for Person B....

Nope, I usually say it's not as bad as it really is. But then again, no one else sees me from 2 inches away with no makeup on :P

Yeah, I admitt I probably have over played it. Especially, if i had victory over a huge breakout one week, and then the next week someone would ask me "how are things going"; Well, I'd usually say in a low, down tone "alright". Usually because i still had acne, so therefore, not matter how much progress had been made, it still wasn't good enough until i was totally clear to say "great".

I agree it often based on our own experiences. Often times, we base our perception on : how well we're accepted or how many peopple and who chooses to socialize with us. I think we base alot of our notions of acne, base on the people's reactions that we come into contact with on a daily basis.

For example: one poster above pointed out that: he has really bad scarring. Now, would the percpetion change if he had a hot girl come up to him and smile at him and later finding out from someone that; she thought he was hot because she thought the scares made him look really ruggid and experienced with life. At the same time, you could have a girl say "uh, what happened to your face?" Did you get into some kind of accident? That right there would indicate that it's severe enough to be notice by the general public and it's not look at in a positive way, as the first instance.

We often base the degree of the misfortune on how their perceived by the culture.

i think i do exaggerate it. Sometimes I feel like the bumps are so big when i touch my face but when I actually look in the mirror its not as severe as it feels. There are some things on your face that may be painfull to you but someone looking at you cant even see it, but because you know its there you freak out.

There are some things on your face that may be painfull to you but someone looking at you cant even see it, but because you know its there you freak out.

I hate those "can feel, can't see" type of thing.

It really bugs me especially when you can feel that it's growing on your skin.

Of course we do. Very often I've looked at someone else with severe acne and thought to myself "Wow, that's pretty rough, but he/she looks good anyway." However, I know that if I said that to them, they wouldn't believe me. As my doc put it, "It's different when it's your face." That's because when you assess your own acne, it's about more than just how you look. Your face is your identity, it's the icon that the rest of the world associates with everything about you. When there's something wrong with your face, it feels like your entire self is being undermined. This is why people's emotional reaction to their skin problems is often disproportianate to the severity of it.