Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kimminz

The Wonderful Accutane World of Kimminz

Hello everyone. :) I've been reading everybody else's logs and have decided to start one of my own. :)

Just call me Kim. I'm 20 years old, living in Jamaica. Been suffering with this skin ailment since I was about 12. I've tried EVERYTHING. Every...single...thing. Nothing has helped. The list would be too long for me to type so I really can't even be bothered, lol.

Accutane has been suggested to me three times. Once by my old dermatologist and twice by the one I'm seeing now. Their suggestions went on deaf ears at first, because I was way too scared of the side effects. More so, I was TERRIFIED of the blood taking process. Needles in my arm, or anywhere else on me for that matter, are a BIG no go.

After sitting and reading about the process, however, I decided to give accutane a go. Yes, dry lips, skin and thin hair suck, and yes, blood work is just as bad as the devil, BUT, it cannot be any worse than walking around with a face covered in big red, puss filled pimples accompanied by scars for every day of my life.

So, I decided to give the accutane a go. I'm currently 6 days in (started on Tuesday) at 40 mgs. I've been experiencing the start of the dreaded initial breakout and man, it sucks already. My lips are also a teeny bit dry. That's pretty much it so far though. I'm trying my hardest to stay positive and remind myself that this too, shall pass.

If you've read all this, thanks much. Later :)

Hey Kim!

You started just a few days after I did! I'm currently on Day 10 and I have the same mindset, trying to stay positive and focus on the end result - clear skin :)

I'll keep checking back - good luck!! :D

Helloooo people :dance:

Today was an awful day skin wise. The IB continues and I have about 3 or 4 cysts on the right side of my chin. They are so puss-filled...yuck. I've been TRYING not to pick, let the 'tane do it's work but it's REALLY, really hard when you KNOW that people's eyes are naturally gravitating to that specific area.

My face is still super, duper oily. I think me moisturizing it has alot to do with that though. I've always had dry skin on the rest of my body so that part I think will be a breeze.

The rest of the day though, non-skin related, was okay I guess. Very productive. Went to school. Had my classes. Learned. Came home in one piece. Not a bad day. :genius: Gonna try to post a picture of my first day starting the meds. Hopefully it works.

Aside: Yesterday for dessert I had a slice of rum cake. At first I didn't realise that it was rum cake. About half way into the slice I suddenly picked up on the taste. I was so freaked out 'cause I'm thinking crap....I'm not supposed to have any liquor while on these meds! Anyway, I asked my Dad and he said it shoulda been fine. The content of the rum in that small slice woulda been so small that I need not worry. So, I calmed down. I'm really trying to stay away from all liquor though.

How are you guys doing? Let me know. :)

Hey Kim!

Good luck with your treatment! I start soon too, and I will be coming to check on your log to see how you're doing too! Hopefully that horrible IB will go away soon! Ughhh...acne is so annoying! But I can't wait to see how you progress, and soon it will all be over! :dance:

Carly

Hey Kim,

Nice to know you have a log now! yea IB sucks big time. Im in a horrible IB right now myself. Its the worse it ever been which made me doubt whether accutane is actually making it worse! But this site is wonderful for people with acne. Only you guys understand what im going though.

all the best! :D

Hey guys.

Thanks Twinnie. :)

Side effects:

1. Lips are OFFICIALLY dry. It has begun in FULL swing. Lip balm cannot be off. I fell asleep today and when I got up my lips were on the verge of cracking. Fun fun fun!

2. The corners/creases of my nose are now starting to dry out. You know the skin on either side? Right there. Starting to flake.

Face still ridiculously oily. Bumps on chin have shrunken somewhat, but they are still very much there.

Non-acne wise: Today was a hot, miserable day. I wish we had something that resembled fall here. A little cool air would be much welcomed.

Ohhhhh....celebration...ONE WEEK DOWN! FIFTEEN MORE TO GO! :boogie::boogie::boogie:

Off to eat my dinner and take my one week pills. Later guys, and thank you for the support!

Hey Twinnie! I hope everything is going well for you! I was missing for a few days because I caught the flu. Let me know how you're doing.

Hey,

I am in Jamaica too. Nice to see another Jamaican on this board!!! I wonder if we go to the same dermatologist? All the best to you!!!

Goodnight everyone.

Today is uhm, day 11 right? Yep yep.

Okay, I suppose we all go through this, but I get really annoyed when I have a breakout that is seemingly getting better, only to look at my face at another point in the day, in different light, and see that what I THOUGHT was great improvement wasn't really that great after all. You guys experience that too, right?

It's pretty much what's been happening to me. I had a horrible breakout on my chin with about 3 or 4 cysts. They shrunk, and at one point seemed as if they were pretty much on the verge of disappearing, but alas, remnants are still there. I am very happy that they aren't as big and annoying as they were just a few days ago, but still annoyed that the improvement wasn't as major as I believed. *sigh*. It's just like waking up with my face looking FRESH and almost bump free, and then by midday the uglies start to peek their heads up for me to see. No fun.

Anyway, that is enough ranting. :(

Though the chin has begun clearing up somewhat, I had a painful cyst forming on the underline of my chin. I hit it accidentally the other day and maaaaan, it was painful. That was about 2 days ago. Thankfully, it has started to decrease in size after I popped it. Yes, I did. I know I shouldn't, but I really think I'm addicted to pimple popping. It's so therapeutic sometimes.

I also have new actives forming on the area beside my nose that is not quite my cheeks. I hope you know where I'm talking about, because that's the best way I can describe it, lol. I have about 3 or 4 pink pimples on the right side and maybe one or two on the left. My forehead is nice and clear for the most part, with a little bit of bumps along my hairline on the left and right side of my face that I don't think will ever really go away. Cheeks feel lumpy somewhat, like there are bumps that want to come up but haven't come to head yet. I don't mind those.

My lips are, and will continue to be, dry as hell. They have actually started stripping, but I don't really mind. In fact I think I contribute to that somewhat by stretching them out without lip balm sometimes when I'm bored and have nowhere to go and no-one to see me. Talk about idle.

Creases of my nose are still a tiny bit flaky, nothing noticeable yet though.

The upside of this entire post is that IT'S THE WEEKEND!!! A break from the rigorous activities of school and work. Time to unwind and have fun :D

Seriously, thank you all for reading and offering your words of encouragement and support. None of my friends understand this struggle, and it's good knowing that there are people all around the world that are walking down the same road. Keep your heads up! We're in this together :)

PS...I think my moisturizer is doing something to my skin. I've had this happen before while on benzoyl peroxide where my skin sort of gets dry and strips, but not drastically. The only reason I notice is because the shedding skin gets darker than my normal skin. It's weird. Don't know why it's happening. I'll be watching that closely. Off to take my pill for the night! Take care.

I also forgot to mention, I'm having dry scalp. It doesn't itch much but I can see the little flakes. Thankfully my hair is sort of thick so that shouldn't be very noticeable, and I don't really mind.

I am with you about popping pimples...it is so addicting! I can't stop. After years and years of dealing with acne I've become really good at it too! LOL! I am just scared that since Accutane makes our skin so sensitive that I am going to end up causing permanent scars. But I can't stop!!

Haha! Oh my gosh, Kim and Melissa, I am with both of you guys on the whole popping pimples thing! I am so nervous that when I start Accutane I am going to give myself tons of scars because I literally have to do it...I can't walk around with whiteheads just chillin there because I feel like people look at them and want to pop them themselves!!! Ahhh....its an addiction for sure :shifty:

Hello readers.

I believe my lip balm (Blistex) is making my lips break out. Yes, my lips. I have one white head on the bottom of my bottom lip and another on the corner of my top lip. I'm really disturbed by this because I'm sure someone will see this eventually and think they are cold sores or something, which is not the case.

My lips are also stripping like it's nobody's business.

I can't stop using the lip balm because then the dryness will only get worse but I really don't want my lips to break out anymore. Hopefully this will soon subside. :dry: If this continues for the week I guess I'll need to switch balms. Ugh.

Edit: The skin on my face is also officially stripping. Let the dryness begin!

Edited by kimminz

Hey,

Just stopping by to wish you good luck with your course! I hope things turn out well with yours.

Oh and noticed your name is Kimberly too? : )

By the way, you are such a pretty girl!

Take care!

Hi kimberly_ann.Thanks for stopping by and thanks for the well wishes. Oh, and the compliment as well!

TWO WEEKS IN

Hello guys :) Today marks my two week start of 'tane.

I feel as if my descriptions are somewhat useles without an accompanying picture so you guys can have a general idea of what it is I'm referring to. However, as fate would have it, I can't seem to find my camera. ARGH! Hopefully another time...provided I find it.

Anyway,

Currently, the right side of my chin is being bombarded by one cyst and about 3 or four big, noticeable whiteheads. I was really hoping those would have subsided FINALLY. Looks like they've decided to do the opposite and come back in full force.

I also have a cyst on the bottom of my chin, close to the centre.

My right cheek has a big whitehead surrounded by a couple tiny ones. Aside from that though, my cheeks feel lumpy. You guys know what I mean? Like something wants to come up, but hasn't made its way to the surface yet.

Forehead has one or two little teeny weeny bumps that aren't a bother...yet.

Nose has some blackheads seemingly trying to make their way to the surface. I don't know if I'm just looking too keenly in the hopes of seeing a change or what, but they SEEM to be more prominent. I really think that's my mind playing tricks on me. I had about two tiny bumps emerge on my left eyebrow which I quickly eliminated. I really hate those. Another one came up under my right eyebrow today, got demolished instantly. Yes, I know I shouldn't squeeze them, but as I've said...>>>A D D I C T E D<<<. It doesn't help that I'm that much more self conscious because ALL, and I mean ALL of my friends have clear, beautiful skin and freak out at the mere sight of ONE pimple...so I can only imagine what they say about my face.

SIDE EFFECTS

Stripping lips.

Dry skin on face.

Pain when passing stool....yes I know it's gross BUT, it is a side effect that perhaps others experience as well.

Nothing else, really.

The IB is not yet over. I want it to be done by December. Is that too much to ask?

Take care and let me know how you all are doing.

Hey Twinnie! I am so happy to hear that you are demolising your pimples! I've been doing the same thing! LOL! I think that for sure your IB will be gone for sure by December! Keep your head up pretty soon your skin is going to look better than all of your friends!

I thought I'd hit you up on your own log too. Your discreet tiny-fonted side effect made me laugh. I can totally imagine that happening to me. I'll let you know if it does!

As for the sneaky below-skin cysts, oh yes, I'm familiar with those. I look at them suspiciously and feel like saying to them "OK, look, if you want to stay there, fine, just please please please don't surface. I'll pay you. Anything you like."

*sigh*

I'm wondering what our minds will be filled with when we no longer have acne.

Hey Jez. Thanks for stopping by. Can't wait to find out what my mind will be filled with then, lol.

New pics for you guys. Same side effects. More bumps. No worries. My new way of thinking with this IB is that it isn't even remotely close to some other breakouts I've had in the past, so if I could make it through those, I can make it through this. You can't see the dry lips because silly me licked them right before taking the last picture.

Blackheads on my chin are coming up, but not out. I guess they'll make themselves out eventually.

Non-acne wise, today was a great day, spent with family. Went to the beach, had food, chatted. Lots of love in the air. Hope you all are doing just as well.

Take care now.

post-90675-1255302673_thumb.jpg

post-90675-1255302689_thumb.jpg

post-90675-1255302701_thumb.jpg

post-90675-1255302673_thumb.jpg

post-90675-1255302689_thumb.jpg

post-90675-1255302701_thumb.jpg

Edited by kimminz