Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
minds_i

Seeing a derm in the UK

Hi,

so after 7 years of trying (and failing) to get rid of my acne with over-the-counter products, I've had enough. I'm gonna try to get on accutane and fix this once and for all.

I've never seen a derm before, does anyone know if it's possible to pay to see one privately, or do I have to go to my GP first and wait for a referral? Also, since i've never seen one before are they likely to want me to try antibiotics and creams and stuff before they are prepared to give me accutane? My acne would probably only be classed as mild/moderate due to the quantity of it, but the spots themselves are usually huge and last for ages without ever coming to a head. Also it's so persistent and doesn't show any signs of letting up as I get older. I'm just really drained and haven't got the energy to deal with this anymore. Hopefully if I explain all this and plead with them they'll see things from my point of view.

Any advice apreciated.

Thanks.

Try your gp first to get a referral. If you have tried other medications via the gp, the derm won't bother putting you on those same ones again, but its possible he could recommend something else. Make sure you stress how long you've lived with it, and how you want rid of it asap.

I haven't tried seeing a derm privately, but I should imagine its possible somehow.

It took me ages to get in and see a derm, so i could get on accutane or roactuuane in the Uk also.

The way i got in, was go see you GP and just explain to him/her how you have tried everything, if there not sounding keen on referring you to see a derm tell them that your acne hurts your face, This did the trick for me.

then once you see a derm you'll have to wait for a bloodtest then your in and be seeing them every month

good luck :D x

It took a while for my referral from the GP when I went to see a dermatologist. In the long run he wasn't very good and didn't really understand acne and it's effects. Anyway, I think they'll probably want you to try every antibiotic and cream before putting you on Accutane. I hope it works out for you soon though.

You could pay to see one privately but it is better waiting to see if you can get referred. My advice for what it is worth is play up how it makes you feel. The worse it affects your everyday life or job especially then the more seriously th GP will take it and the more likely they are to refer you.

I have had a good experience with my dermatologist, she is great... I would say if you go to a derm listen to what they have to say. Don't be so quick to want isotretinoin. It does get rid of spots but the side effects are not pleasant. Trust what they have to say.

I have had two cycles of iso and am still not clear but I have had two scares about my eyesight and was rushed to see an opthalmologist. On both occasions they were concerned I had intracranial pressure damaging my optic nerve causing headaches and dizzyspells.

I don't want to sound pious or say don't take it if it's the right thing but I would say there are lots of other treatments out there but it may be a bit of trial and error until you find the right one for you.