Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
doxyfan

Q about doxycycline

a brief intro,

i'm 26, from the uk and have had acne since around 16. I tried various over the counter things with no real effect. Then i did a course of accutane. I found it quite aggressive but it did work and kept me acne free for some time. But then it came back.

Recently i went travelling in asia and was given a few months worth of 100mg daily doxycycline as an anti-malaria drug. My skin has never looked so good. It was as close to perfect as I've ever seen. However upon stopping the pills, after about a month the acne came right back.

I've heard that long term doxy use can be very bad. Firstly, is this true? and if so, what alternatives may be worth trying?

I've been on doxy for two years. Works great for a longtime. But now that two years have gone by, it's not working as good. That's due to the bacteria becoming more resistant.

So it does work great for a long time but wears off after about two years. I'm going to the dermatologist in a couple weeks to get Minocycline. It's basically the same but it'll work.

So i suggest you stay on doxy untill it stops working and than get on minocycline. And who knows, maybe by the time you get off doxy your acne wont come back.

how long did it take you guys for it to start working couse im currently on it and its not doing a goddam thing. i was put on the 150 mg a day and i been on it for about a 1month and 1/2 and my face still does not look good at all