Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
koet

Scratching away dead skin while showering

When I scratch at my face, there is a lot of white stuff which is probably dead skin. If a scratch a lot, I can remove quite a bit. I'm not sure if this is the best idea for my face since I have a lot of redness left over from acne and still some active acne. Should I scratch my skin, leave it alone, or do something else?

When I scratch at my face, there is a lot of white stuff which is probably dead skin. If a scratch a lot, I can remove quite a bit. I'm not sure if this is the best idea for my face since I have a lot of redness left over from acne and still some active acne. Should I scratch my skin, leave it alone, or do something else?

Maybe try gently exfoliating with a wash cloth? or just buy a product that exfoliates skin, but won't break you out.

If you're using a face scrub to scratch it then just do it in moderation. Let's say twice a week if that's the case. And if not and you're actually scratching it with your fingers you might want to consider stopping because your fingers carry a lot of bacteria and causes acne. Also, those could be a sign that your skin is actually healing from your previous scratching. Or it could just be because your skin is dry. Maybe try using a moisturizer. But all I know is that scratching your face would only make matters worst.

Well, I'm wondering why you have so much peely, dry skin?

What type of acne meds are you using, if any, and what type of moisturizer are you using, if any?

Scratching is going to make your redness and irritation worse... you need to exfoliate slowly, you might be a little flakey for a few days, but if you are exfoliating slowing and moisturizing properly it should balance back out.

I've been using Aveeno clear complexion cream cleanser; it has these little mirco beads in it. The 2% SA does most of the exfoliating; though, I'm not sure if it would be enough for you, but since my dryness and peeling has subsided it's working very well and doesn't dry me out like other SA products.

EDIT: Keep in mind the Aveeno doesn't remove my makeup though, so I use it in the morning and using cetaphil cleanser in the evening.

Edited by Alona