Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BenVsAcne

What determines when i should start using aha?

Hiya, another post!

A quick bit of detail on my acne. Most of it is scarring- even over the last 6 months or so i've only ever had 3 or 4 active spots on my face at once, sometimes one, never more than six or seven. They are often relatively small and occasionaly whiteheads.

Anyways, I have ALOT of scarring (i have pale white skin, not super pale but pale :D)- so am eager to start with the AHA. However, what determines when i should start? I've read I should wait until a month in or so, but is this mainly down to irritation with BP used prior? IE when i get to the full dosage of BP and irritation no longer occurs, is that when it'll be ok to start using AHA (2 or 3 times a week)?

Many thanks!

*edit*

and is there a purging period for AHA as with the BP?

:D

Edited by BenVsAcne

i found that in my case, my skin responded a lot more positively to the AHA when it was relatively clear. i know dan says you can use it after being on the regimen for at least a month, but if you still have a substantial amount of active acne, waiting it out may not be such a bad idea. just don't forget to moisturize!

if you're still flaky, maybe try the jojoba oil? i use a washcloth gently on my face every night to exfoliate and it has worked very well for me.

p.s. i posted this as a response to someone else's thread as well, fyi just in case you thought you read this somewhere else

i found that in my case, my skin responded a lot more positively to the AHA when it was relatively clear. i know dan says you can use it after being on the regimen for at least a month, but if you still have a substantial amount of active acne, waiting it out may not be such a bad idea. just don't forget to moisturize!

if you're still flaky, maybe try the jojoba oil? i use a washcloth gently on my face every night to exfoliate and it has worked very well for me.

p.s. i posted this as a response to someone else's thread as well, fyi just in case you thought you read this somewhere else

thanks for the response! :)

well my skin is relatively clear already, i only have 2 or 3 active spots. i'm finding it hell on the regimen at the moment as well. i'm still on 1/2 a pump (and had been for a week or so), and took 2 days off the regimen as my skin couldn't handle the PAIN i have for 4 hours + after i apply moisturiser after the BP. i was stupid enough to try again just now and, after 30 mins that left me with my arms and lips quivering, i caved in and washed it off. so, i'm going to try again in 3 days with the new moisturiser and if it's still the same deal, i'll just try something else. I might create a new thread at some point regarding a regimen that doesn't use BP :o

Edited by BenVsAcne

well my skin is relatively clear already, i only have 2 or 3 active spots. i'm finding it hell on the regimen at the moment as well. i'm still on 1/2 a pump (and had been for a week or so), and took 2 days off the regimen as my skin couldn't handle the PAIN i have for 4 hours + after i apply moisturiser after the BP. i was stupid enough to try again just now and, after 30 mins that left me with my arms and lips quivering, i caved in and washed it off. so, i'm going to try again in 3 days with the new moisturiser and if it's still the same deal, i'll just try something else. I might create a new thread at some point regarding a regimen that doesn't use BP :o

It doesn't sound like BP is the problem it sounds like the moisturizer is. Don't stop using BP! Just use a different moisturizer, and give the BP time to work it's magic.

It doesn't sound like BP is the problem it sounds like the moisturizer is. Don't stop using BP! Just use a different moisturizer, and give the BP time to work it's magic.

yep :) to be honest i have seen the areas around my mouth clear up a fair bit since using the BP. i'm just terrified (YES TERRIFIED! :D) that another moisturiser will still have the same outcome. Why i didn't just use the jojoba like i intended to i DON'T know. Heyho, i'll try again in a few days (doing alot of travelling on tuesday and wednesday so don't want to risk it again!) when the cetaphil arrives or with just the jojoba

AHA is strong stuff, and if you add it in too soon, it can simply be too harsh for you still-adjusting skin. Give your skin time to get used to the BP before you try adding anything else.

Also, yes, some people do purge a bit when they start using AHA.

AHA is strong stuff, and if you add it in too soon, it can simply be too harsh for you still-adjusting skin. Give your skin time to get used to the BP before you try adding anything else.

Also, yes, some people do purge a bit when they start using AHA.

thanks for the reply :)

i have to ask, what the hell is your avatar about!? :D

It's Nekobus, from the movie 'My Neighbor Totoro'. ; )

ah should of guessed it was anime! :D i've never really been a fan but have seen and enjoyed spirited away/howl's moving castle- and seeing as i can't sleep, i might download and watch this now as well :')

It's Nekobus, from the movie 'My Neighbor Totoro'. ; )

ah should of guessed it was anime! :D i've never really been a fan but have seen and enjoyed spirited away/howl's moving castle- and seeing as i can't sleep, i might download and watch this now as well :')

I'm not into most anime stuff, but I love Studio Ghibli/Hayao Miyazaki stuff. It's so cute and well done. : )