Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
strato

Are carrots bad?

I'm currently on a no sugar diet. I've been eating a lot of carrots everyday.

From a Candida diet site:

Avoid starchy vegetables such as carrots, sweet potatoes, potatoes, yams, corn, all squash except zucchini, beets, peas, parsnips and all beans except green beans. They all contain sugar and can lead to Candida overgrowth.

Carrots are high in sugar??

Yes, in some absolute sense. I mean, if you want to sweeten up some vegetable juice, carrot juice is a staple sweetener to turn to. There's plenty of sugar there, it's just not highly available to your body if you eat the original carrot (as opposed to its juice).

These days, most diet fads are more interested in glycemic load, where carrots are Good Citizens, since your body has to work pretty hard to turn carrots into significant sugar (and you have to eat a lot of them).

Actually Carrots are very bad if you are on an anti candida diet.

Carrots are filled with sugar. They are very starchy and don't provide all that much benefit in terms of nutrients.

If you care about your health I wouldn't eat a lot of carrots. 1 or 2 is probably ok but still it has tons of sugar. Worst vegetable you could eat besides potatoes.

I eat carrots all the time and didn't know they contained sugar. I am trying to stablize my blood sugar levels with a Low-GI diet since that is what i believe is triggering my acne. Carrots are said to be a low-GI @47. So am i still ok at eating them?

I eat carrots all the time and didn't know they contained sugar. I am trying to stablize my blood sugar levels with a Low-GI diet since that is what i believe is triggering my acne. Carrots are said to be a low-GI @47. So am i still ok at eating them?

I've never heard that carrots are bad.

They don't contain refined sugars though! It's natural.

No, carrots aren't bad and they are highly nutritious. They have high amounts of beta carotene, alpha carotene, and consuming them has been associated with lower rates of some cancers.

The only reason I can see for not eating carrots is if you're on an anti-candida diet. And even that's controversial because carrots are known as a potent anti-fungal.

I agree carrots aren't bad at all but they should be taken in moderation.. Too many carrots a day wouldn't be a good idea.. I do eat carrots not everyday but sometimes.. I don't remember eating more than 2 carrots a day.. Well that's just me but everyone is different..

Carrots are filled with sugar. They are very starchy and don't provide all that much benefit in terms of nutrients.

Carrots are "very starchy"? Carrots are the long, orangey things, often depicted as being eaten by Bugs Bunny. The more roundish, white things are not carrots -- those are potatoes.

Or, to look at science (not that anyone believes in that science thing any more), the USDA proclaims that 100g of carrot contains 1.43g of starch. 100g of potato contains about 10 times that much starch.

Likewise "filled with sugar" seems hyperbolic. Total sugars in 100g of raw carrot: 4.74g. Total sugars in 100g of raw apple: 10.1.

Carrots also have rather a lot of Vitamin A precursors. It is strange on a board where people are constantly assuming megadoses of Vitamin A are a good thing to see someone say carrots "don't provide all that much benefit in terms of nutrients", since carrots offer an undeniably safer route to Vitamin A sufficiency (no doctors telling pregnant women to avoid carrots, after all).

My personal rule of thumb is that any diet that says you can't eat a raw carrot should be presumed to be a Certified Whackjob Diet. YMMV. :D

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

Edited by databased

There was a study even that said drinking too much water is dangerous.

I'd say everything in moderation. Studies often conflict with themselves.

Eat the damn carrots!! :boohoo:

Carrots are "very starchy"? Carrots are the long, orangey things, often depicted as being eaten by Bugs Bunny. The more roundish, white things are not carrots -- those are potatoes.

Or, to look at science (not that anyone believes in that science thing any more), the USDA proclaims that 100g of carrot contains 1.43g of starch. 100g of potato contains about 10 times that much starch.

Likewise "filled with sugar" seems hyperbolic. Total sugars in 100g of raw carrot: 4.74g. Total sugars in 100g of raw apple: 10.1.

Carrots also have rather a lot of Vitamin A precursors. It is strange on a board where people are constantly assuming megadoses of Vitamin A are a good thing to see someone say carrots "don't provide all that much benefit in terms of nutrients", since carrots offer an undeniably safer route to Vitamin A sufficiency (no doctors telling pregnant women to avoid carrots, after all).

My personal rule of thumb is that any diet that says you can't eat a raw carrot should be presumed to be a Certified Whackjob Diet. YMMV. :D

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

Thanks for posting that. Carrots are NOT "bad".

Guest veganwithacne

Great answer databased :clap:

The only thing I have seen about carrots having high GI is if they are cooked because it changes the way you digest them or whatever. I think carrots are healthy and yummy, so go eat them with hummus MoonUnit : ) carrots are better than a bag of pita bread. lol.