Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
homelessdan

sugar vs. sugar

i love eating fruit. but pretty much all fruits have sugar and i'm thinking sugar directly affects my acne.

i'm working on cutting sugar out of my diet but i'm wondering if the sugar in fruit is the same as say the sugar in pop? or is it all the same...

thanks.

When it comes to acne, and hormones and inflammation which cause acne, what matters is not so much the amount of sugar, but the glycemic impact of what you eat. Fruit has fiber which lowers the GL, but the GI varies from fruit to fruit. You can make it better by not having fruit by itself. Have a few almonds, pumpkin seeds, yogurt, etc with it. Or have it after a low GL meal consisting of fiber, protein and fats. And don't have excessive amounts. Fructose is processed by the liver which, to put it very simple, is very busy doing very important things some of which directly impact your acne. Don't over load it.

There are also people with poor fructose absorption and dietary and lifestyle habits and nutritional deficiencies that can cause poor fructose absorption.

And don't drink sugar. Not even in juice.

Fructose malabsorption can be induced in just about anyone. Sit down and eat 4 large sweet apples and there's a high probability you (or anyone) will experience fructose malabsorption. It is not a random disease that some have and some don't; it's only a question of how much excess fructose it takes to overwhelm the ability of any individual's particular gut.

The gut has trouble digesting a fructose molecule when there's not a glucose molecule to pair it with. Thus, foods with a high ratio of fructose/glucose represent a larger load of excess fructose than those with lower ratios. Fruits like apples and pears can have insanely high fructose/glucose ratios (higher than Coke made with high-fructose corn syrup).

AFAICT, no one has ever tried to check to see if fructose malabsorption correlates with acne. However, fructose malabsorption correlates with lowered serum zinc and that has long been correlated with acne. Fructose malabsorption also correlates with lowered serum tryptophan. Since tryptophan is required to make melatonin, and since melatonin directly and indirectly is both anti-androgenic and anti-inflammatory in the skin ecosystem, it is a small leap to suppose that failure to absorb tryptophan is a Bad Thing for acne (not to mention depression).

We now eat fruits that have been bred for a hundred years to have higher fructose/glucose ratios than their original wild counterparts. I would worry less about sugar and more about excess fructose. Find here information on some of the worst fruits by that measure. You might want to skew away from big quantities of high-fructose fruits. You also might want to eat meats (tryptophan source) ahead of sweet things to give the protein a head start at getting digested. When chimpanzees get a chunk of meat (usually in the form of a dead chimpanzee), they say the heck with fruits and just eat meat until it's all gone. I can't really tell if chimpanzees get acne or not. :D

Part of the problem may be that we tend to spend our days in dim indoor lighting. It appears dim light conditions can fail to "wake up" the intestines, leading to increase carbohydrate malabsorption. That would certainly explain why fructose malabsorption is beginning to be labeled "epidemic", and might help explain why acne is more prevalent in civilized than in primitive societies.

You also might want to eat meats (tryptophan source) ahead of sweet things to give the protein a head start at getting digested. When chimpanzees get a chunk of meat (usually in the form of a dead chimpanzee), they say the heck with fruits and just eat meat until it's all gone. I can't really tell if chimpanzees get acne or not.

Could be that the chimpanzees have noted that dead chimp spoils if they don't get it eaten.

"When chimpanzees get a chunk of meat (usually in the form of a dead chimpanzee), they say the heck with fruits and just eat meat until it's all gone. I can't really tell if chimpanzees get acne or not."

Chimpanzees hunt colobus monkeys and other small animals and share/provision the meat. Ripe fruit trees/leaves are still the primary and most abundant source of food for chimps. A large proportion of their diet are leaves, fruit, tubers, and insects. Cannibalism occurs usually from infanticide.

I really think people are overexaggerating fruit breaking you out. A balance diet is the way to go. Downing any large amount of food is never good.

"When chimpanzees get a chunk of meat (usually in the form of a dead chimpanzee), they say the heck with fruits and just eat meat until it's all gone. I can't really tell if chimpanzees get acne or not."

Chimpanzees hunt colobus monkeys and other small animals and share/provision the meat. Ripe fruit trees/leaves are still the primary and most abundant source of food for chimps. A large proportion of their diet are leaves, fruit, tubers, and insects. Cannibalism occurs usually from infanticide.

And they are the only ape that eats meat other than insects and larva accidentally ingested with the plants. And chimp meat eating most likely evolved as a result of their harsher environment, not as a preference.

I might add that the muscle mass and/or physical activity of apes most likely helps a great deal in keeping their blood sugar stable.

And they are the only ape that eats meat other than insects and larva accidentally ingested with the plants. And chimp meat eating most likely evolved as a result of their harsher environment, not as a preference.

I might add that the muscle mass and/or physical activity of apes most likely helps a great deal in keeping their blood sugar stable.

Chimps actually fish for termites and other insects with twigs. Meat would actually be their preference food but it takes a lot of effort to catch it, males would have to work in groups to hunt small animals and other monkeys then share the meat. Meat is so valuable to chimps that males use their portion to seduce the females into mating.

But the point I'm trying to make is that since meat is so hard to attain, they rely on a high fruit/leaf diet rather than meat. The relevance of that to this post is that we are 98% related genetically and there is a large amount of scientific evidence that we have a common ancestor. More importantly, ancestral hominins were primarily frugivores.

The relevance of that to this post is that we are 98% related genetically and there is a large amount of scientific evidence that we have a common ancestor. More importantly, ancestral hominins were primarily frugivores.

As are all our closest modern relatives. Including the chimpanzees extremely close relative which split off fairly recently, the Bonobos.

I understand your point. However, their physical activity, muscle mass, and natural dark/light exposure and sleep patterns probably make them far more able to consume fruit all day without it being a problem with their blood sugar. We can't.

I wasn't arguing for a completely frugivorous diet, I was saying that our bodies can digest fruit. People who are breaking out from consuming fruits are more likely to have an allergy to a specific fruit rather than lacking the ability to digest fruit. Or they are eating fruit with other proteins, starches, or sugar which complicates digestion.