Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
iyemstoopid

link between accutane and height?

Hi I'm a 15 yr old male about 5'9.5 and I am almost finished with my course of accutane and it is great. But I am worried that the accutane can stop my height growth? Is this true, or common?

Thanks

I'm pretty sure it'll stop you growing, but you should've known that before you started it...

Luckily, I was already 6' when I started (and still am), and I felt I was already far too tall (where I live, I tower over most people) so it didn't worry me.

nobody told me that it would stunt my growth...it doesn't say anything in the roche pamphlet. I'm 22yrs old, so I probably ain't growing anymore. My question is will it stop my muscles from growing, since I train at the gym.

Yeah it only stops some people growth I guess lol. I think your derm should have told you about it being possible to stunt your height growth.

And to my knowledge it won't stop your muscle growth at all

nobody told me that it would stunt my growth...it doesn't say anything in the roche pamphlet. I'm 22yrs old, so I probably ain't growing anymore. My question is will it stop my muscles from growing, since I train at the gym.

This is straight from the FDA's mouth:

http://www.fda.gov/cder/drug/infopage/accu...cationguide.htm

"Bone and muscle problems. Accutane may affect bones, muscles, and ligaments and cause pain in your joints or muscles. Tell your prescriber if you plan vigorous physical activity during treatment with Accutane. Tell your prescriber if you develop pain, particularly back pain or joint pain. There are reports that some patients have had stunted growth after taking Accutane for acne as directed. There are also some reports of broken bones or reduced healing of broken bones after taking Accutane for acne as directed. No one knows if taking Accutane for acne will affect your bones. If you have a broken bone, tell your provider that you are taking Accutane. Muscle weakness with or without pain can be a sign of serious muscle damage. If this happens, stop taking Accutane and call your prescriber right away."

These are *potential* side effects. Some people stop growing at 15 naturally, I don't know how you'd ever really be able to know if it stunted your growth.

Oh yeah, and if you're worried about only being 5'9 1/2, just say you're 5'11, shouldn't be a problem since many guys I know practice "height inflation" anyway (no comment whether I do this, hehe). I know a guy who's slightly under 5'8 yet he claims he's 5'10 when no one's around to call bullshit (i.e. when he's on the internet).

But honestly what much is height besides a number on your drivers license? My derm kept putting me off the thought of accutane because I was underaverage height and he didnt want to stunt my growth if I was even going to grow. The only way he'd let me take it finally was if I was sure I'd be okay at being this height for the rest of my life.

I decided long before he let me take accutane that I'd rather be clear and 5'7 than not clear and grow possibly an inch or two. Height isn't much of an attention grabber unless youre on one of the extreme ends, but acne does get attention.

But honestly what much is height besides a number on your drivers license? My derm kept putting me off the thought of accutane because I was underaverage height and he didnt want to stunt my growth if I was even going to grow. The only way he'd let me take it finally was if I was sure I'd be okay at being this height for the rest of my life.

I decided long before he let me take accutane that I'd rather be clear and 5'7 than not clear and grow possibly an inch or two. Height isn't much of an attention grabber unless youre on one of the extreme ends, but acne does get attention.

You're right, being confident and carrying yourself correctly is important -

but a lot of short guys I know seem to have little man disease.

I'm not saying this applies to you at all, I just wouldn't be so quick so

dismiss the advantages of above average height

There was a story on 20/20 about how tall men get better chances in life. They on average have better jobs, better looking women, etc. However, everyone on the show was (from a guys point-of-view...hehe trying to not sound like a flaming homo), they looked like they were far beyond average looks

For short people, yea most seem to have little man syndrome. They act really tough and usually say things like, "what are you looking at fag." Anyways, I went on accutane at 18 and I thought I was done growing at 6'1". I am not 6'3" so it didn't seem to stop me from growing. Who knows though, I could be taller, but at 6'3" I really have nothing to complain about.

You may still grow in height. I was slightly below average in height when I was in high school, which is attributed to the fact that i'm part asian. I thought I was

doomed to live a life as a shorty...but I had another huge growth spurt

after HS and now stand at 6'1".

Not many people know this, but.....

If your growth plates are not sealed you CAN increase your height.

There are many studies over at pubmed.com which show the effects

of anti-aromatose drugs and height - basically what happens is that

estrogen (yes, guys produce estrogen too) fuses the ends of the bones

together, thus halting growth. By using an anti-aromatose (testosterone

is converted to estrogen via aromatose), many people have grown in

height quite signifigantly. It has the added benefit of increasing

testosterone, which leads to more muscle mass and libido, since

the amount of testosterone produced in the testes is dependant

on the amount of estrogen in the body.

Not sure if you followed all that, but I damn sure wish I had known

about this when I was still growing in height. The drugs in question

by the way are arimidex and letrozole - you can find studies over

at pubmed.com, simply type something like "letrozole height" in their

search engine.

i wanna see some studies here, this is why my derm had questions about putting me on accutane, and right now minocycline is not working very well , 11 weeks in i might add.

im 15, and 5'8.5 and im definately thinking of starting accutane, depending on the research i do...