Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I wanted to make a new heading for Niacin as more people I think should give it a try. I am also on the anti-Candida diet, which I found Niacin aids in, and I posted this on one of the other Niacin threads.

I did some research on Niacin and found some interesting things. I still don't know why it's working I just hope it continues. The last thing I found about Guggul, something I never heard of, or tried,,,,but it says people had more success with that then Tetracycline for cycstic acne. CRAZY,,, and it does the same thing as Niacin=Lowers Triglycerides,,, maybe us acne prone people have high Triglycerides? Who knows

Immune System

Niacin may reduce the mortality rate of Cancer patients and may help to prevent some forms of Cancer:�

- Niacin may reduce the rate of recurrence of Bladder Cancer in people treated with Gamma-Rays in Radiation Therapy.�

- Niacin may help to prevent Endometrial Cancer.�

Niacin may inhibit the ability of Candida glabrata to cause Urinary Tract Infections (by inhibiting the ability of Candida glabrata to adhere to the epithelial cells of the Urinary Tract).�

niacin

[nī′əsin]

a white, crystalline, water-soluble vitamin of the B complex, usually occurring in various plant and animal tissues as nicotinamide. It functions as a coenzyme necessary for the breakdown and use of all major nutrients and is essential for a healthy skin, normal functioning of the GI tract, maintenance of the nervous system, and synthesis of the sex hormones.

Niacin Plusâ„¢ contains a non-flushing form of niacin, inositol hexanicotinate, consisting of six molecules niacin bound to an inositol molecule. As your body metabolizes this form of niacin it is slowly released which significantly minimizes any flushing while assisting in the healthy metabolism of HDL cholesterol, LDL cholesterol, and triglycerides.

One small clinical trial found that guggul (Commiphora mukul) compared favorably to tetracycline in the treatment of cystic acne.8 The amount of guggul extract taken in the trial was 500 mg twice per day.

Guggul contains resin, volatile oils, and gum. The extract isolates ketonic steroid compounds known as guggulsterones. These compounds have been shown to provide the cholesterol- and triglyceride-lowering actions noted for guggul.1 Guggul significantly lowers serum triglycerides and cholesterol as well as LDL and VLDL cholesterols (the “bad†cholesterols).2 At the same time, it raises levels of HDL cholesterol (the “good†cholesterol). As antioxidants, guggulsterones keep LDL cholesterol from oxidizing, an action which protects against atherosclerosis.3 Guggul has also been shown to reduce the stickiness of platelets—another effect that lowers the risk of coronary artery disease.4 One double-blind trial found guggul extract similar to the drug clofibrate for lowering cholesterol levels.5 Other clinical trials in India (using 1,500 mg of extract per day) have confirmed guggul extracts improve lipid levels in humans.6

I know this is a long post just skim through it...... Look familiar????? Isn't it basically the same thing as people have been doing to get rid of Candida. And get clear? like Brenton B. Hmmm, maybe I'm on to something here.

How can triglycerides be lowered?

If you have high triglycerides, you may be able to reduce them without medication by following the guidelines listed in this handout which include following a low-sugar and low-fat diet, as well as limiting your alcohol intake.

People who have high triglycerides and low HDL or high LDL levels may require medications as well as diet modifications. Patients with triglycerides in the very high range (over 500 mg/dL) generally will require medications, because triglyceride levels this high may cause other medical problems.

How do foods affect triglyceride levels?

Consuming foods high in simple sugars significantly contributes to high triglycerides. Follow these guidelines to limit simple sugars in your diet:

Substitute beverages like colas, fruit drinks, iced tea, lemonade, Hi-C and Kool-Aide with artificially sweetened beverages labeled "sugar-free" or "diet."

Limit hard candies, chocolates, candy bars and gummy bears.

Avoid adding table sugar and brown sugar to hot and cold cereals. Instead, substitute Equal?, Splenda?, Sweet-n-Low?, Sugar Twin? or Brown Sugar Twin?

Choose sugar-free gum or mints instead of the regular versions.

Try light or low-sugar syrups on pancakes and waffles.

Spread breads and crackers with no-sugar-added jelly or preserves.

Snack on whole fruit instead of fruit roll-ups and other fruit-flavored treats.

When selecting cereals, limit the sugar to no more than 8 grams per serving.

Try sugar-free gelatin and puddings instead of their regular versions.

Choose low-sugar cookies and other desserts. Remember, these foods are not calorie-free and may contain cholesterol-raising fats.

Be aware that desserts labeled "fat-free" usually contain more sugar and equal calories than the full-fat varieties.

Regulate your intake of cookies, pastries, pies, cakes and granola bars. All of these foods contain high levels of added sugar; choose them sparingly.

Reduce your intake of ice cream, frozen yogurt, sherbet, gelato, and flavored ices - all contain high levels of sugar.

Limit your daily sugar intake to no more than 8% of your total calories each day. That's 24 grams for someone following a 1,600-calorie diet, or 40 grams for a 2,000-calorie diet.

Read the ingredients list on food labels, and limit foods that contain any of the following words (all simple sugars) as the first few ingredients:

Sucrose

Glucose

Fructose

Corn syrup

Maltose

Honey

Molasses

High-fructose corn syrup

Naturally occurring sugars, when eaten in excess, can also raise your triglyceride level. Follow these guidelines to help limit natural sugars:

Use honey and molasses sparingly - they are both high in sugar

Choose light yogurt (which use artificial sweeteners) instead of regular yogurt

Choose whole fruit instead of fruit juice

Limit the serving size of dried fruits to ¼ cup per day; dried fruits contain a more concentrated source of sugar

Choose canned fruit in its own juice and strain before eating; avoid canned fruits packed in heavy syrup

Limit your portion sizes of mashed potatoes, yams, beans, corn and peas to ½ cup; limit baked potatoes (with skin) to about 3 ounces. Although these starchy vegetables are a great source of fiber and nutrients, they can contribute to high triglycerides when eaten in excess.

Highly refined breads, cereals, rice, pasta and crackers convert to sugar in the body much more quickly than whole-grain varieties, which may increase your triglyceride level. To limit refined grains:

Choose breads, crackers and cereals that contain whole grain oats, barley, corn, rice or wheat as the first ingredient. Avoid the words "bleached" and/or "enriched" as the first ingredient.

Try whole wheat pasta or brown rice.

Choose breads, crackers, rice and pasta with 2 or more grams of dietary fiber per serving.

Select hot and cold cereals with 5 or more grams of dietary fiber per serving.

Use barley, bulgur, couscous, millet or wheat berries as a side dish.

Try whole wheat crackers with soup instead of saltines.

Watching your overall portion size of grain-based foods is a key component to triglyceride control. Below are examples of a single serving size:

* 1 slice of bread

* 2 slices of reduced-calorie bread

* ½ hot dog or hamburger bun

* ½ English muffin

* ½ bagel (1 ounce)

* 1 oz most cold cereals (¼ to 1 cup)

* 2 graham crackers

* ¾ matzoh cracker

* 4 slices melba toast

* 3 cups popped light popcorn

* 2 to 6 baked whole-wheat crackers

* ½ cup cooked cereal (including oatmeal, oat bran, cream of wheat)

Alcoholic beverages are a significant contributor to elevated triglyceride levels. Beer, wine, spirits, mixed drinks, wine coolers and coffee drinks containing alcohol are all examples. Men should not exceed 2 drinks per day, and women should limit to their intake to one drink per day.

One serving is equal to: 1.5-ounce spirits, 3 ounces wine or 12 ounces beer. Keep in mind that these are general guidelines. If you have elevated triglyceride levels, it is recommended that you consume fewer to no alcoholic beverages per day.

Excessive intake of dietary fats, especially saturated and trans fats, can increase your triglycerides. However, reducing dietary fat too much may mean you are getting too much sugar in the diet. If you have high triglycerides, follow these dietary guidelines to reduce dietary fat:

Limit your total fat intake to 30 to 35% of your total daily calories

Limit saturated fat to 7% of your total daily calories

Try to avoid high trans fat foods

Limit dietary cholesterol to 200 mg daily

Choose monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats (such as canola and olive oils) most often

See your dietitian or clinician for more information on determining your daily fat limit.

Here are some other ways to help lower triglycerides:

Eat fewer calories (through portion control) if you need to lose weight

Eat small, frequent meals and do not skip meals

Avoid late-night snacking

Lose weight if you are overweight

Participate in regular physical activity

Omega-3 Fatty Acids

Some foods have been found to be very powerful at lowering triglycerides when you also follow the other guidelines in this handout. The fat found in fish, called omega-3 fatty acids, can help to lower triglyceride levels in many people.

To obtain the amount of omega-3 fat that is needed to lower triglycerides, your physician may recommend that you purchase a fish oil supplement. However, ask your physician first. To get more omega-3 fats in your diet, choose two or more meals of fatty fish each week (such as mackerel, salmon, sardines, tuna, tilapia) or include plant-based forms of omega-3 in your diet, such as soy foods, canola oil, flax seeds and walnuts.

Aenema

I know I know,,,, I'm just trying to help... I believe I'm offering more of an explanation to why it might be working. I'm no doctor,,, I didn't even graduate from college. But I just put 2 and 2 together here, and I'm wondering if this is the reason why Niacin is working.

Candida diet (What that dude Brenton B cured his acne on) = low triglycerides

niacin (What alot of people are having success with, including me) = low triglycerides

That Guggul shit (Studies have shown it worked better than Tetracycline) = low triglycerides

I know this is a long post just skim through it...... Look familiar????? Isn't it basically the same thing as people have been doing to get rid of Candida. And get clear? like Brenton B. Hmmm, maybe I'm on to something here.

Actually, everything you wrote below is what we do to keep blood sugar stable, reduce inflammation and get clear.

And I've been looking for valid explanations why niacin specifically helps acne and have found many references to it decreasing insulin sensitivity. This is not a good thing. Also damages the liver. Do not mega dose.

Niacinimide is in the prescription topical and oral nicomide, and I've seen references to studies showing topical niacinimide being more effective than clindimycin, but I've not see any info on what it does. It is a good topical though. Helps with pigment problems, redness, elasticity.

Well I haven't done any research on keeping blood sugars stable.... But I know what I'm going to try now,,, Keep Triglycerides low,,, maybe that's related to sugar levels. I have no idea. My Dad told me that he has had high cholesterol all his life. I never got mine checked cause I'm an idiot and was just lazy, but i believe I will now.

Well I haven't done any research on keeping blood sugars stable.... But I know what I'm going to try now,,, Keep Triglycerides low,,, maybe that's related to sugar levels. I have no idea. My Dad told me that he has had high cholesterol all his life. I never got mine checked cause I'm an idiot and was just lazy, but i believe I will now.

Read the posts of most of the people who've cleared their skin via diet and the clinical studies in the pinned clinical studies thread. It's the root of most of our very preventable health problems today. And elevated insulin stimulates the hormones that cause acne.

Alternative

I did find this:

The only absolute contraindication to niacin therapy is insulin-dependent diabetes. Niacin aggravates blood sugar problems in insulin dependent diabetics, further worsening their lipid problems, usually causing their triglycerides to skyrocket. Alternatively, I recommend niacinamide (also contained in Optimum D) in doses up to three grams daily for insulin dependent diabetics. Although niacinamide does not normally effect lipid levels in non-diabetics, because of its glucose-stabilizing effect in diabetics, it tends to normalize their blood lipids—especially, the triglycerides.

So maybe if you're diabetic.. Niacin has reverse affects and raises triglycerides?,,, maybe causing worse breakouts, and or major health problems.

Look,,, I have no clue, I'm not a nutritionist, but I'm taking 500 mg of no flush niacin and it's working, I've also been on the candida diet,,, maybe a combination of the two is what is making me clear.

Why don't you try it topically? Mix a capsule with aloe vera gel which is what I do or buy nicomide gel, which I think is non-prescription but kept behind the pharmacy counter. Probably expensive though.

I looked for info on the safe upper limit and most sites in the first page of search results say 35mgs, but apparently that's about the niacin flush. My multi has 50mgs of niacinimide which is 250% the RDA, but it also has the other B vitamins. I don't think you should keep up such mega doses.

I did see some mention of supplementing with a 'methyl donor' can help reduce or prevent liver damage. Several other B vitamins are methyl donors. Which is probably one of the many reasons why you should always take B-vitamins together in a complex.

Also phytonutrients in beets, onions, garlic. I'm thinking it's sulfur compounds since those are sulfur containing plants, but when I looked up methyl donor, all I've seen are examples and a chemical formula. But I've also seen methionine as an example and that's a sulfur containing amino acid. And SAMe which is methionine containing substance. In which case green smoothies would be a good idea.

Also, decreasing insulin sensitivity is not a good thing for anyone except diabetics on insulin whose blood sugar can get so low they can go into a coma. Low insulin sensitivity = insulin resistance which leads to diabetes if you don't fix it, especially if you also have diet, exercise and sleep habits that also lead to diabetes.

Ok, I just found that Nicomide has 750mgs of Nicotinamide which is niacinimide, but it also has folic acid, which is a methyl donor.

Nicotinamide, USP 750 mg

Zinc Oxide, USP 25 mg

Cupric Oxide, USP 1.5 mg

Folic Acid, USP 500 mcg

Apparently people take this for years, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. People do lots of bad things for years.

Hey Alternative

Since you seem to be very informative what do u think about this,,, I'm also taking a plethora of different supplements to aid in my quest to kill candida, and Acne. I'm taking 10 bromelian 500mg (20,000GDU), 400mg DIM, 800mg Chromium polynictinate, 500mg magnesium chelated, Barley Grass shot, and candida cleanse,,, Split half after breakfast half after dinner. Also 2000mg Vitamin C, 50mg Zinc once a day,,,, and the Niacin 500mg. You think that's too much???

Hey Alternative

Since you seem to be very informative what do u think about this,,, I'm also taking a plethora of different supplements to aid in my quest to kill candida, and Acne. I'm taking 10 bromelian 500mg (20,000GDU), 400mg DIM, 800mg Chromium polynictinate, 500mg magnesium chelated, Barley Grass shot, and candida cleanse,,, Split half after breakfast half after dinner. Also 2000mg Vitamin C, 50mg Zinc once a day,,,, and the Niacin 500mg. You think that's too much???

I'd have to look up most of that. I don't remember numbers. That isn't too much zinc, magnesium or C. The C should be taken throughout the day like all water soluble nutrients. Are you female? Have you thoroughly read the old DIM threads?

And I think you should take B vitamins in a B-complex.

I'm 34 yr old male,,, I read a little about the DIM threads and about DIM,,, I heard it could help so what the hell. Is this bad too, being male?

And I've been looking for valid explanations why niacin specifically helps acne and have found many references to it decreasing insulin sensitivity. This is not a good thing. Also damages the liver. Do not mega dose.

Could you pm/link/post some of the negatives you have been finding? I would like to read them.

Thanks!

I'm 34 yr old male,,, I read a little about the DIM threads and about DIM,,, I heard it could help so what the hell. Is this bad too, being male?

DIM mainly helps by flushing excess estrogen. Which might help a male, especially if you get a lot from phyto-estrogens, xenoestrogens (in perfumes, plastics, etc). It's supposed to have some anti-androgen ability although I'm not sure how.

Could you pm/link/post some of the negatives you have been finding? I would like to read them.

Thanks!

I didn't bookmark any, perhaps because I went from those sites to looking into methyl donors.

This lists some negative like liver toxicity and reduced insulin sensitivity:

http://www.medicine.org/profiles/blogs/nia...ide-effects-and

As does the wikipedia article.

And this study indicates that mega dosing niacin interferes with methionine metabolism except when taken with B-6.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9040554...ogdbfrom=pubmed

Thanks!

I didn't bookmark any, perhaps because I went from those sites to looking into methyl donors.

This lists some negative like liver toxicity and reduced insulin sensitivity:

http://www.medicine.org/profiles/blogs/nia...ide-effects-and

As does the wikipedia article.

And this study indicates that mega dosing niacin interferes with methionine metabolism except when taken with B-6.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9040554...ogdbfrom=pubmed

"It functions as a coenzyme necessary for the breakdown and use of all major nutrients and is essential for a healthy skin, normal functioning of the GI tract, maintenance of the nervous system, and synthesis of the sex hormones."

Nutrients for skin - check.

GI tract health - check

Sex hormone synthesis - check

I also heard it helped with either the breakdown or the bodies ability to process fat.

"It functions as a coenzyme necessary for the breakdown and use of all major nutrients and is essential for a healthy skin, normal functioning of the GI tract, maintenance of the nervous system, and synthesis of the sex hormones."

GI tract health - check

I also heard it helped with either the breakdown or the bodies ability to process fat.

Yes, but those are true of most essential nutrients. Why would it have a dramatic effect?

I tried to find some explanation to why it's working so well so quickly and it's a mystery. All I know is that it's a miracle that I hope continues to work. My skin hasn't looked or felt this good since like the 7th grade. My blackheads have lessened after a biore strip, they actually didn't fill right back up or get worse. It gave me the guts to stop Tetracycline without my Derm telling me too after 10 Years of being on some sort of anti biotic. I will probably try and decrees my dosage after a month or so, just to see what happens. I tell you what though, if some one told me I would die in 20 years if I continued to use it. I probably still would. My life quality has improved that much.

500 mg of No Flush Niacin (Not time released) that's the miracle. TRY IT!!!!!!

I tried both Niacin and No flush Niacin,,,, The No flush one works the best, and has been shown by many others to have the most success.

gmh79

I hope it works for you, cause if it does, you will think you've gotten a face transplant. I look in the mirror every morning feeling and looking around thinking this is too good to be true.

I'm continuing my candida diet so if the niacin stops working I won't be back to square one. I have no proof of this but I believe that my diet only makes the niacin work that much better.

Good Luck

GI tract health - check

Yes, but those are true of most essential nutrients. Why would it have a dramatic effect?

Most essential nutrients improve GI tract health and sex hormone synthesis?

Maybe we are deficient in Niacin some how, and supplementing makes a radical difference.