Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Carson

I want to change from Dan's regimen to something quicker

Hey guys, I've been following Dan's regimen strictly (all his products also) for a year and a half. I've been clear for a while now, and I just need something that will keep me clear. Yeah I could keep doing the regimen, but it takes FOREVER every morning and night, and it is expensive. So what could I switch to that is really quick and would keep me clear? I was thinking about the Salicylic Acid Pads, those are perfect. I just don't know if they work, and I don't want to risk breaking out. Thanks.

Carson, if there was something more quick and as effective, we'd all be using it. SA has never done a thing for my acne, to be honest. If you have inflammatory acne, bp is your best bet and it sounds like you are doing very well on it.

Let's talk a bit about your routine and see if we can work with you on it.

What about the Regimen is taking forever? The waiting times? Do you incorporate the waiting times into your normal daily schedule? For instance, shower and pat dry, put on your deodorant, get dressed, start getting packed up for the day (for school or work). Apply the bp, get your shoes on, fix your hair, and make your coffee (or whatever you drink in the morning), apply the moisturizer, eat your breakfast, check email, brush your teeth, then you're out the door. Just try to work it into your normal daily routine (whatever that is for you), rather than adding it to an already busy morning.

As for the evening routine, wash and pat dry, get your bed ready, get your jammies on (or whatever you sleep in), lock all the doors, apply the bp, set our your stuff for tomorrow (clothing, books, work stuff, etc)., apply moisturizer and go to bed!

Thing is, if you find a medication or skincare regimen that works for you, and you discontinue it, you are likely to begin breaking out again.

Another option is to try reducing the bp and see how your skin does. Perhaps only use the bp at night, and see if you can remain clear that way. That would make the morning go easier at least. But I would not discontinue the bp altogether if it is keeping you clear.

Carson, if there was something more quick and as effective, we'd all be using it. SA has never done a thing for my acne, to be honest. If you have inflammatory acne, bp is your best bet and it sounds like you are doing very well on it.

Let's talk a bit about your routine and see if we can work with you on it.

What about the Regimen is taking forever? The waiting times? Do you incorporate the waiting times into your normal daily schedule? For instance, shower and pat dry, put on your deodorant, get dressed, start getting packed up for the day (for school or work). Apply the bp, get your shoes on, fix your hair, and make your coffee (or whatever you drink in the morning), apply the moisturizer, eat your breakfast, check email, brush your teeth, then you're out the door. Just try to work it into your normal daily routine (whatever that is for you), rather than adding it to an already busy morning.

As for the evening routine, wash and pat dry, get your bed ready, get your jammies on (or whatever you sleep in), lock all the doors, apply the bp, set our your stuff for tomorrow (clothing, books, work stuff, etc)., apply moisturizer and go to bed!

Thing is, if you find a medication or skincare regimen that works for you, and you discontinue it, you are likely to begin breaking out again.

Another option is to try reducing the bp and see how your skin does. Perhaps only use the bp at night, and see if you can remain clear that way. That would make the morning go easier at least. But I would not discontinue the bp altogether if it is keeping you clear.

Thank you very much Brandy, that is very helpful. Because of that I probably won't quit, because I know you are right. The part that takes the longest and what annoys me is putting on the BP.

What I usually do in the mornings before school is Get up, Use Cleanser and shave, Go get dressed, fix my hair, Put on BP, Go eat breakfast, Brush my Teeth, Use Moisturizer, wait for it to dry and wipe off excess oil (This part is also annoying too).

It takes me like 5 minutes to get ready without washing my face, now it takes me about 30. Even my girlfriend told me "It takes you a long time to get ready for a guy". So yeah, I just feel like a girl doing all that stuff. I'm going to try only using BP at night and see how that works, I don't have a good feeling about it though because if I miss the regimen like once I'll get a few pimples.

The main thing for me is when I go on vacation with my Girlfriends family, or off to College in a year, etc. It's just embarrassing that it takes so long. I stay in the bathroom like a girl all morning. And every night when I get home late, I can't just come home and jump in bed, I have to spend 20 more minutes staying up washing my face.

Well, it's a minor inconvenience for clear skin. I understand your situation, but isn't it much better than having to deal with active pimples every morning? I remember the inconvenience of that, trying to disguise breakouts takes a whole lot longer than doing the Regimen, imo.

Yeah, you're right. Thanks a lot for your help, you kept my business. haha

Lol, it's not about keeping your business, but keeping you clear. It sounds like the Regimen works fabulously for you, although it's a bit inconvenient. Acne is way more of an inconvenience, imo.

You might try using a fan when you are applying the bp. Some people have found this speeds up the drying part of it a bit. Just rub it in gently while you stand in front of a fan. You want to be sure that it gets absorbed though, rather than just dry on the surface of your skin.

I think that I've forgotten how horrible it was to have Acne since I've been clear for so long now, I guess I just forget that spending that time washing my face keeps me clear and I just view it as a hassle even though it really isn't. haha. I'll try that fan idea, thanks for that.

There is something you could try:

It is pretty experimental, but it worked for me.

Dan says that a higher % of bp does not help better then 2,5 %. For me this was not the case. I have cystic acne on my chin, and i could not get clear with the regimen. Then i did the regimen with 5 %, and this got me clear! (for 2 years now)

Now i use 10% once a day (for one year now), and i'm still clear. This REALLY saved me time and effort, just need to wash my face and moisture now in the evening. Moisturizing twice a day with Jojoba oil is a must though.

And btw, I have not grown out of it, because is i don't do the regimen, i get cysts al over my chin.

If you are really clear, you could try the regimen with 5% once a day, this worked for me (using a higher %).

I do not have experience with my entire face, but my body had moderate/severe acne, and now that i use 5 % (once a day), i'm almost clear. 2,5 % wasn't even close...

Bro to be honest, I do not follow the waiting times at all. As soon as I get out of the shower I put on BP, and then right before I walk out the door I put on moisturizer (maybe 10-15 later). On the weekends I don't even wait that long.

Oh and I haven't had a pimple in months.

Bro to be honest, I do not follow the waiting times at all. As soon as I get out of the shower I put on BP, and then right before I walk out the door I put on moisturizer (maybe 10-15 later). On the weekends I don't even wait that long.

Oh and I haven't had a pimple in months.

Not everyone on the regimen can put it on so easy without breaking out...

does anyone know if you can ue those stridex power pads with BP in them? i think that woul be fast right?

Carson, you're adorable, so don't stop the regimen. I am sure, despite your girlfriend's remarks, that she loves your skin. My husband suffers from very mild psoriasis, and his treatments are a big pain, but he barely has any red patches because he sticks to his treatments. As for me, I have been using BP since I was 20, and I am 35 now. When I was 20, my face broke out, and after a year and a half of trial and error, I basically did the regimen, and my skin has always been at least 90% clear, often more so. Now it's 99%, as I use my moisturizer more liberally, which helps to prevent inflammatory acne. So, keep it up. Fortunately, since you are male, you'll probably grow out of it by your mid 20s. As for women like me, we'll be battling pimples for a long time. But take heart, regardless of your gender; people with oily, acne-prone skin don't look their age. At work, people were shocked to learn that I am 35.

Best,

Alex