Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
shocktomysystem

Feeling discouraged while on Accutane

I've been on Accutane for a little over a month (20mg for the first month, then my dosage was raised to 40mg a couple of days ago). I feel awful. I haven't seen any improvement (not that I expect any yet), my face is red and very very dry, my lips are so dry that if I don't apply Chapstick every half an hour it hurts when I open my mouth and I feel like my acne is getting even more inflamed. It seems like my scars are getting more noticeable and I'm left thinking, "What's the point of getting rid of my acne when I'll still have the disgusting scars left on my face?"

Did/does anyone else have these kinds of feelings while on Accutane? I really need some encouraging words right now.

Well the great news is the Accutane is doing its job and being free of acne is just around the corner. Having dry lips and face means that your oil glands are drying up. It is typical for things to get worse before they get better. After two months on Accutane you will begin to notice a gradual clearing of your skin. You can tak comfort in the fact that these side effects mean the meds are working for you and your skin will look much better in a few months.

I've been on Accutane for a little over a month (20mg for the first month, then my dosage was raised to 40mg a couple of days ago). I feel awful. I haven't seen any improvement (not that I expect any yet), my face is red and very very dry, my lips are so dry that if I don't apply Chapstick every half an hour it hurts when I open my mouth and I feel like my acne is getting even more inflamed. It seems like my scars are getting more noticeable and I'm left thinking, "What's the point of getting rid of my acne when I'll still have the disgusting scars left on my face?"

Did/does anyone else have these kinds of feelings while on Accutane? I really need some encouraging words right now.

I have felt exactly as you do. Especially wondering what is the point of being acne-free if I still have red marks... I'm not sure what to tell you except that things do get better. Accutane will work.

I would ditch the chapstick and get some aquaphor, I have found I only need to apply it about 5-6 times per day. Remind yourself of all your positive qualities that have nothing to do with your face (being a kind person, a good friend, a great parent, smart, funny, etc.). Try to distract yourself by reading or watching DVDs.

Acne sucks but you are on the best medicine there is. Good luck!

I broke out pretty badly the first 4 or 5 months on Accutane. I was quite discouraged as well. But now, after completing 6 months & entering my 7th month just as a "security" type thing, I haven't broken out in a good week+, and I am PMSing this week---I always used to break out. I have concluded that the accutane is FINALLY working, & it basically took the entire 6 months, 3 of which were at maximum dosage. So don't give up, because it's weird---one day you will stop breaking out, & it's an awesome, new, great feeling!!!

Hang in there. Everyone is different when it comes to when their skin starts to clear up. As for the marks, as long as they aren't indents you're fine. Red marks fade in time

Yep, yep, yep.

Don't worry -- your skin WILL IMPROVE. The dry lips just about killed me too. :cool:

Thanks everyone... it's just that these side effects are so annoying and really getting to me. Guess I'm just gonna have to get used to it though cause there's still 5 months to go.

I know it's not the same for everyone, but by the beginning of month 4 I was feeling pretty good. :cool:

It gets better. The first two months were the worst.

Just a word of advice, DON'T GO IN THE SUN! I think sun damage while on accutane might have done permanent damage, I'm going in to see the derm at the end of this month to see what treatments there are but sun damage is catastrophic when you're on accutane. Even if you look weird doing it, shield your face.

ive been on accutane for a lil over a month as well, and shit, it sucks. I have never looked this bad before. My face is dryer than the virgin mary's vagina, and its peeling/cracking everywhere, especially around my cysts. i have red bumps everywhere. my cheeks are horrendous, especially my right cheek, its so sore i cant even sleep with that side of my face on my pillow. but today, i noticed some improvement, the cysts are starting to protrude a little more, meaning the puss/bacteria is being pushed out, which proves that accutane is doing is job. it takes a while, but i believe it will work. yeah, i have doubts sometimes u know? ill wake up, check myself out in the mirror, and notice that the bumps have gotten worse/more red/more painful and my selfesteem will just fucking droppp and ill second guess the medication. i know u feel me on this, it happens to every acne sufferer. But when u feel this way, u just got to adopt a "fuckit" attitude, and just get on with life, look at the positives. dont let some red bumps ruin the fun u could be havin with your friends, meetin the ladies, etc.. ive also noticed that the days where i just sit at home/check the mirror every hour/not wanting to go out bc of acne(being extremely self conscious), the days pass by a lot slower than when im living my life as if i had no acne.

Im being somewhat of a hypocrite bc sometimes, ill just stay home instead of goin out w friends bc of the way i look/feel. but im tryin. and in the end of it all, ull be a stronger person mentally. itll take some time, but im sure if you are suffering from the sideaffects/dryness, it means that it is working. im sorry if it sounds like im lecturing you, or sounding like ive been living for hundreds of years n shit, im just like u, just wanted to help u out a little and make shit a little bit easier. just hang in there for a couple more weeks. good luck, we got 5 more months to go! woooo. haha. fucking a.

omg omg everyones scaring me!! should i get off of accutane before its too late!! i'm on my first week of it and i already have low self esteem as it is and school is starting soon!! im scared of it getting worse!!

omg omg everyones scaring me!! should i get off of accutane before its too late!! i'm on my first week of it and i already have low self esteem as it is and school is starting soon!! im scared of it getting worse!!

if you have your acne under control, you may not have an initial breakout, or if you do, it shouldnt be any worse than any other regular breakout. but if its bad now, then your initial breakout will be purty fucked up since itll push all the crap juice thats in your face to surface. thats what my derm told me. good luck :)

if its not bad right now, you may not have an initial breakout, or if you do, it shouldnt be any worse than any other regular breakout. but if its bad now, then your initial breakout will be purty fucked up. try to get your zits under control bfore goin on tane. this is what my derm told me.

Well my skin isn't as bad as it has been in the past i jus have a few big ones and scars right now. I'm just scared of the breakout i might get and the dryness on my face. It's my first week and i haven't broke out or had any side effects...yet?

if its not bad right now, you may not have an initial breakout, or if you do, it shouldnt be any worse than any other regular breakout. but if its bad now, then your initial breakout will be purty fucked up. try to get your zits under control bfore goin on tane. this is what my derm told me.

Well my skin isn't as bad as it has been in the past i jus have a few big ones and scars right now. I'm just scared of the breakout i might get and the dryness on my face. It's my first week and i haven't broke out or had any side effects...yet?

Calm down, it's only been a week. Most people have an IB, so just expect it and it won't be as hard on your self-esteem. Accutane is a rollercoaster, and you have to give it time to work. You won't clear up overnight. I'm on Day 50 and still breaking out a little. You have a long road ahead, so just be patient.

@Chona: Take a different approach.

You're treating your acne so don't worry about it. Accutane will do the job. Don't freak out every other week about side effects. Deal with each day accordingly and evaluate your results in a couple of months.

It will probably get worse before it gets better. Focus on school, friends and your life to get through the hard times.