Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I started using Cetaphil's Antibacterial cleansing bar, and so far I like it a lot. Even over just a week I can see a noticeable improvement, no new pimples, and others are shrinking away quickly. I started out using it twice a day, but after a few days I just use it once a day. Seems like a good cleanser that doesn't cause breakouts, doesn't cause dryness, and seems to be helping to clear things nicely. I still use BP on the couple of pimples that are on the way out. The only thing I was wondering is a couple of the reviews of it seem to try to scare people away from the antibacterial stuff. How long can one use it? Seems to me it's the bacteria that makes the pimples get nasty; I could deal with a few blocked pores, but the cleanser seems to be taking care of those. Should I think about using the regular Cetaphil if things (hopefully) clear up?

I don't think its a problem to use. There are many anti-triclosan people out there. But there are many soaps in general out there that are anti-bacterial. All those handwashes now are antibacterial. If it works then great! But there's the theory that there eventually maybe bacterial resistance. But hey people out there use topical and oral erythromycin, clindamycin, and other antibiotics out there. So if it works, then more power to you!

There are concerns that continued use of topical antibacterial cleansing products will contribute to the development of resistant bacteria. It is a real concern. Normal, regular everyday people are going to continue turning up positive for antibiotic resistant bugs of all types. Do not contribute to the problem, please.

It's truly better to use non-antibacterial cleansers to avoid the risk of increasing bacterial resistance.

To completely obviate the concern of bacterial resistance development, include a benzoyl peroxide wash. BP washes or topicals will stop the development of bacterial resistance when used in conjunction with a topical antibacterial. A wash is the better choice as you can wash your whole body with it, just as you do with the antibacterial cleanser, and thus stop the spread of resistant bacteria.

Also beware that adding benzoyl peroxide will help to reduce the chance of developing resistance but it will not completely avoid it. Just ask all the benzaclin and duac users out there.

Almost all the anti-bacterial handsoaps in the market use triclosan. One of the more common facial washes, Clearasil, also uses triclosan. So if the next super bug/resistance is to triclosan its going to happen unfortunately.

Fortunately in many cases there are other ways of treating acne if you become "resistant to triclosan"...i.e. true antibiotics, retin-a, benzoyl peroxide, accutane, diet, laser, etc. Triclosan is not a traditional way of treating acne in the first place.

Thanks all, but I'm a little confused. How would a BP wash reduce the resistance development? Isn't BP by nature anti-bacterial (kills bacteria)? Or is it just a better anti-bacterial that happens to be better at preventing resistant bacteria? If triclosan does tend to make bacteria resistant, then I'd rather not have it go away, then come back worse later.

Sorry to cause confusion. Benzoyl peroxide and Triclosan are antibacterial agents but are not antibiotics (examples of antibiotics include penicillin, erythromycin, clindamycine, doxycycline). Many things are antibacterial including Lysol but it does not make it an antibiotic. Triclosan is sort of an in between although it is not a true antibiotic there is still a theoretical chance for resistance. On the other hand there is no such thing as benzoyl peroxide resistance therefore when combined with antibiotics it is thought to help decrease the risk of resistance. The following is from the Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology:

"Benzoyl peroxide is a bactericidal agent that has

proven effective in the treatment of acne. It is available

in a variety of concentrations and vehicles; however,

there is insufficient evidence to evaluate and

compare the efficacy of these different formulations.

It has the ability to prevent or eliminate the development

of P acnes resistance.42-51 Because of concerns

of resistance, it is often used in the management of

patients treated with oral or topical antibiotics.

Combining erythromycin

or clindamycin with benzoyl peroxide eliminates

or reduces bacterial resistance and enhances efficacy.

The combinations are more effective than

either of the individual components alone."

That doesn't answer your question whether its ok to use the cetaphil antibacterial bar. As I mentioned earlier there are people that are anti-triclosan and people that don't care. So I'd rather not get into that debate. Good luck!