Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jsmithson

Acne vaccine under development! woo!

Hey y'all!

Did some googling the other day and found that there's a vaccine under development right now that may do the trick. There's a scientific paper titled 'Vaccination Targeting a Surface Sialidase of P.acnes: Implication for New Treatment of Acne Vulgaris' that speaks of a new treatment for acne. The treatment relates to a vaccine that reduces the activity of the p. acnes bacteria.

As a result of the research mentioned in the article, a company has started the development of a vaccine. The company name is VAXIN and there's a press release entitled 'VAXIN RECEIVES $100,000 GRANT FOR DEVELOPMENT OF ACNE VACCINE'.

Coincidentally lots of people are currently looking at vaccines against virus' like swine flu. Looks like one of the same mechanisms used by the flu to get into your cells is the same used by p. acnes (a molecule called 'sialidase'). The vaccine prevents sialidase from working thereby stopping p. acnes from multiplying out of control.

It's early days for the vaccine but the ball is rolling! This is really fantastic news folks!

Folks if you're interested in finding out about what research is going on in the acne field, search for 'sz95' on pubmed. sz95 is the name for a line of sebocyte cells (sebum producing skin cells) that live forever. The fact that they live forever mean that they are very useful for skin research. You can grow batches of them in an artificial environment to perform experiments on.

The proposal made by Vaxin to receive the grant says that the project starts 5 sep 2008 and ends 31 aug 2009. So we'll find out soon how the project has turned out.

A vaccine is the stuff of dreams alright. I'll believe it when I see it. Not to be the pessimist but it's a big leap from research to commercial availability unfortunately.

Im kind of the same way. I for sure HOPE that one day someone will come up with a 100% cure for acne that comes with no side effects but until that day comes....thats exactly what it is, a hope.

That's awesome if it will work, but actual vaccines are nasty. There's many reasons to stay away from them. I'd like to know everything that is inside though, and then I would think about it.

That's awesome if it will work, but actual vaccines are nasty. There's many reasons to stay away from them. I'd like to know everything that is inside though, and then I would think about it.

Hmm why do you say vaccines are nasty? Did you have a bad experience?

If they just received the grant now, then the BEST case scenario is an approved vaccine by the year 2025. And the worst case, there will be none.

cant hurt to hope :) but i would have thought we'd hear more about it if it was this close to finishing, especially being a board all about acne visited by thousands of people a day

around 7 years ago or so when i first started breaking out, my derm at the time gave me a shot on my ass for acne. with the shot and retin-a micro along with minocycline, my skin was clear.

i wonder what shot he gave me lol.

Remember the entire acne prevention industry goes right down the toilet once a perfect vaccine is easily available. Just watch Roche buy the patent and shelve it.

Guest missyjean130

People don't like what's in vaccines because of the other stuff they put into it...like thiomersal, phenoxyethanol, and formaldehyde.

I only like the idea of vaccines for something serious and common...I also prefer it to be time tested lol.

Accutane cleared me up for the most part but I think I'd get this shot anyway and shove my beliefs of vaccines out the door. Acne is my worst enemy.

I'm sceptical about this to be honest.

Besides, P acnes is the least important factor in acne. Hyperkeratinization/hyperproliferation of cells is stage 1. That's what they should focus research on.

I'm sceptical about this to be honest.

Besides, P acnes is the least important factor in acne. Hyperkeratinization/hyperproliferation of cells is stage 1. That's what they should focus research on.

Actually without the bacteria, P. acnes, there would be no inflammation...therefore pus. Hyperkeratinization causes an excess amount of skin to slough off which can get trapped in excess sebum which will clog pores, but without bacteria getting stuck in that mixture too their would be no pimple.

If they just received the grant now, then the BEST case scenario is an approved vaccine by the year 2025. And the worst case, there will be none.

Goodness! Really no use in me getting excited then. :doubt:

The one positive thing about there not being a vaccine until 2025 would be that it would be available for my kids if I become a father one day. I would hate for them to have to go through what I've had to go through.

I'm skeptical. Acne is caused by a bacteria and oils produced by the skin. This vaccine would have to kill the bacteria and stop the oils production which is caused by hormones in our bodies. That would mean that this isn't a vaccine, but just another drug that changes the hormones in our bodies. And this "vaccine" would most likely cause side effects :rolleyes:. There is no cure for acne except for time and treatment.

The one positive thing about there not being a vaccine until 2025 would be that it would be available for my kids if I become a father one day. I would hate for them to have to go through what I've had to go through.

Ditto. I can handle having bad skin, but I'd never want my children to go through it. It'd be too painful

Will it really take that long to develop the vaccine??? When the swine flu hit they made a vaccine really quickly and in mass quantities...why would it take so long??? 15 years till 2025 seems like a lifetime...lol

I don't know if I see this happening, simply because companies that manufacture acne products would go out of business. They'd for sure do everything in their power to stop it.

Sounds like an interesting enough theory. I'd like to see it take effect, but realistically I can't imagine it being an easy thing to get your hands on. A flu vaccine is one thing, a permanent cure for acne is a whole different ball game. Like OntheRun pointed out, the ever-so-prominent acne-product manufacturers will go off the deep end if this "vaccine" comes to be. But oh sweet jesus, wouldn't that be something? :pray: