Find results that contain...
Find results in...
downwithgrace

Insert "The Jeffersons" theme song here:

Fish dont fry in the kit-chen

Beans dont burn on the griiill

It took a whole lot of tr-ryin

Just to get up that hiilll

Yup. That was me singing "Moving On Up" the day I finally got on Accutane. Which in itself was not easy as most of you very well know (especially my fellow ladies out there).

Between the incorrect birth control answers on iPledge (damn you, Dr. Vial) to the lab mistakenly testing my pee for something other than pregnancy (good news - Im drug free!) topped off with not one... but two... trips to the pharmacy that only resulted in shrugging pharmacists when asked where my script be.

So yeah. Its been rough. And Im half way thru Month 2 & things arent looking much better. Asides from my still face erupting in cysts 3-5 at time, I now have a crusty nose & an extremely chapped mouth (god bless aquaphor). I know this is a process but... Im feeling pretty discouraged.

Acne has definitely hindered my self esteem & life in so many ways. I have called out of work, cancelled or turned down plans all because of zits. I cant even have direct eye contact with other people & social interactions are spent trying (or desperately wishing) to hide my face. Sounds ridiculous right? But these are the insecurities that I live with on the daily.

For those of you out there currently (or previously) on 'tane - when did you start to see improvements? The derm tells me alot of people notice a difference around 6-8 wks, but Im about there & things look the same - if not worse....

If you know the Jeffersons theme song, you must be in your 30s!

I heard that most people noticed improvements by the end of Month 3. I'm currently on Day 114 or so and I started feeling confident that a new eruption wouldn't occur around Day 80. So be patient and you will soon be in the penthouse in the sky.

Lol, thanks for your input Paco, that makes me feel a little better. Here's to the penthouse in the sky for the both of us :dance:

And not quite at 30 yet - not until November anyway! Hard to believe Ive been battling this for almost 10 yrs now. I find it odd that I didnt experience any issues with acne until adulthood. (Has this happened to anyone else around here??)

Week 8

My face actually looks alot better today than it did over the weekend. I have a problem with picking & squeezing which ofcourse .... :naughty: But I have a hard time stopping it. I basically tore 2 holes into my face & they are just now healing. I generally try to avoid mirrors as to not get discouraged about my looks or attempt to pick & have since PROMISED myself that this will not happen again

My lips, which were a hot mess in the 1st few weeks are now manageable as long as I keep them slathered in Aquaphor. I have not experienced any sensitivity to light as of yet & wondering if its not so bad to lay out poolside afterall. Hmmm....

Asides from the breakouts, my nose is my only other gripe. My nasal passages are painfully dry & I have to carry Saline nasal gel (the spray did not help at all) with me at all times.

Im really trying not to treat this as a miracle cure, so that if it doesnt work out I wont be crushed. But I cant help but get disappointed along the way. Guess we'll see what happens. Ill keep this thing updated & maybe post some pics

Just stopping by to wish you good luck. Don't get discouraged. Hang in there and it'll all be over sooner or later. There are people that didn't get clear even in their last month but after their course has ended, so don't worry.

Thanks for your support, d0nn13.

It feels nice to actually vent about this sort of thing - Im generally too embarrassed to talk about my acne woes with most people. I still cringe when the dermatologist inspects my face on follows ups.

I totally understand. It's always nice to have people who are suffering from the same problem as you do to talk to, since those are the ones that will truly understand what you are going through.

Hey,

I know the jeffersons theme song!!! On to acne....How much has the doctor had you taking?

Red

My face actually looks alot better today than it did over the weekend. I have a problem with picking & squeezing which ofcourse .... :naughty: But I have a hard time stopping it. I basically tore 2 holes into my face & they are just now healing. I generally try to avoid mirrors as to not get discouraged about my looks or attempt to pick & have since PROMISED myself that this will not happen again

My lips, which were a hot mess in the 1st few weeks are now manageable as long as I keep them slathered in Aquaphor. I have not experienced any sensitivity to light as of yet & wondering if its not so bad to lay out poolside afterall. Hmmm....

Asides from the breakouts, my nose is my only other gripe. My nasal passages are painfully dry & I have to carry Saline nasal gel (the spray did not help at all) with me at all times.

Im really trying not to treat this as a miracle cure, so that if it doesnt work out I wont be crushed. But I cant help but get disappointed along the way. Guess we'll see what happens. Ill keep this thing updated & maybe post some pics

Hey,

Don't get discouraged while on Accutane, you should be happy that you're face will be clear soon enough : ) I'll be checking up on your log often to see how progress is going, and possibly help you in any way I can during your course. That's what we're all here for!

I was thinking, I mean, I'm not an adult just yet.. But maybe the acne issues arising in your later years means a hormonal imbalance.. That's usually what it is when adult gals get it. Birth control usually helps control hormonal acne really well.. Maybe keep that in mind when stopping the Accutane.. Keep on the birth control even after Accutane to help keep you clear.

I have a tip for you and everyone else out there that is a "picker", if you pick a spot.. And it hurts and is exposed and bleeding, or just one of those.. Then neosporin is the answer! If I happen to pick at something.. I clean it off after and then dab neosporin on it for the day.. That prevents any scarring and helps keep bacteria away.

Hope I was helpful! : ) goodluck with the course.

I have a tip for you and everyone else out there that is a "picker", if you pick a spot.. And it hurts and is exposed and bleeding, or just one of those.. Then neosporin is the answer! If I happen to pick at something.. I clean it off after and then dab neosporin on it for the day.. That prevents any scarring and helps keep bacteria away.

was just about to suggest this but you beat me to it! hehe

i had never really thought trying it to heal acne spots till a few days ago and i was noticing how all i had was a few spots from my IB that were healing up and decided to go dab some on. worked pretty well for a quick spot treatment.

i had never really thought trying it to heal acne spots till a few days ago and i was noticing how all i had was a few spots from my IB that were healing up and decided to go dab some on. worked pretty well for a quick spot treatment.

Yeah! It really works! But only if it's an open wound.. If you're trying to use neosporing for those little flattened out red marks.. It wont do a thing.. But it's excellent for open spots that are healing up.

My acne history was weird. I had mild pimply acne in high school, none in college, started developing occasional cysts around late 20s, and then moderate cystic acne around age 31. I think this is real adult acne!

For the dry, crusty nose, I found that saline spray wasn't as effective as using Aquaphor inside your nose. It feels a little weird having a jelly-filled nose but I guarantee you that the dryness will be gone.

Also, see if you can bump up your dosage. If you can't handle it, you can always go back down.

hey my dear...^^ hope ur face will clean up soon...i know how u feel,although im much younger than u...i had acne for 6 years....and thats a real torture....btw,since u started some months ago....does ur skin feel that dry?i mean,everybody complains that its devastating and really painful and such...

Hey,

I know the jeffersons theme song!!! On to acne....How much has the doctor had you taking?

Red

Hey, Red - Saw you just started on the 7/10 - congrats! Got crazy chapped lips yet? Lol, it was almost immediate for me. To answer your question, Ive been on 40 mg of Clavaris since 6/04 & Im thinking about upping my dose if the doc will let me. Next appt is on 8/04 sooo wish me luck & I'll do the same for you ;)

Hey,

Red

Hey, Red - Saw you just started on the 7/10 - congrats! Got crazy chapped lips yet? Lol, it was almost immediate for me. To answer your question, Ive been on 40 mg of Clavaris since 6/04 & Im thinking about upping my dose if the doc will let me. Next appt is on 8/04 sooo wish me luck & I'll do the same for you ;)

DownwithGrace - Thanks for the message. I too noticed the effects of this stuff immediately and have some bad cysts. Yet, the drying is mild in my opinion and I don't know why...not that I am complaining. I can really go without chapstick or lotion but I will have some whiteness/dryness on the face but someone needs to look closely. Every once in a while my lips peel slightly. This is why I had been curious about your progress. My skin is not badly oily like before so I am wondering if I get an increased dose.(Yet, I am drinking tons of water and am still using aquaphor at night.) I go to the dr. days after you so I will be looking for your report. Thanks for all the info.

Red

My acne history was weird. I had mild pimply acne in high school, none in college, started developing occasional cysts around late 20s, and then moderate cystic acne around age 31. I think this is real adult acne!

For the dry, crusty nose, I found that saline spray wasn't as effective as using Aquaphor inside your nose. It feels a little weird having a jelly-filled nose but I guarantee you that the dryness will be gone.

Also, see if you can bump up your dosage. If you can't handle it, you can always go back down.

Paco, your acne history sounds very similar to mine. I experienced pretty average acne as a teen - maybe a few whiteheads every once in awhile. But it wasnt until my early to mid 20's that I started developing cysts.

And this is the thing: I feel like the doc underestimates my acne because it is not as severe as others. I usually have anywhere from 2-5 cysts at a time. Now there will be times where I dont have any, but no one would know the difference because of the nice fresh red marks that remain. And as soon as they heal, the cysts are back. It's like a neverending cycle. Even when my skin is clear, its never really actually clear.

So, Ive been on 40mg of Clavaris for 2 mths & Im asking to up the dose on my next appt which is on 8/04. But again, Im afraid all the doc will only see a couple of cysts & tell me to wait it out.

What she doesnt realize is that my "moderate" acne is like SUPER DETERMINED. Ive been on pretty much everything: over the counter & otherwise. And the only thing that has ever helped was burning my flesh with UV rays from a tanning bed. I hesitate to tell people this because from what I understand, this usually worsens acne. But for some reason, it cleared my skin. However, after alot of thought (and hundreds of dollars spent on lotions & tanning packages) I made the decision to not further risk my health as a means to a medical problem. I need a permanent solution.

So here it is mid summer & I have pale legs & a red bumpy face. I reeeally hope this is worth it. :pray:

hey my dear...^^ hope ur face will clean up soon...i know how u feel,although im much younger than u...i had acne for 6 years....and thats a real torture....btw,since u started some months ago....does ur skin feel that dry?i mean,everybody complains that its devastating and really painful and such...

Thanks doll, the same goes for you. My skin isnt really that dry (maybe because I moisturize twice a day?) but its my lips & the inside of my nose that are driving me crazy. The only real dryness on my skin has been on the actual cysts themselves. They flake over & Ive had to refrain from peeling them because it leaves these big red marks.

But painful? Meh... Corners of my lips were cracking at 1st, but I seem to have that under the control now. Im sure it affects everyone differently, but so far it hasnt been anything that I cant handle. Good luck baby!

Yeah! It really works! But only if it's an open wound.. If you're trying to use neosporing for those little flattened out red marks.. It wont do a thing.. But it's excellent for open spots that are healing up.

Oh, girl Im all over it hahaha! Neosporin is a part of my regimen. I think that may be why I dont have alot of scarring. I'll have marks for awhile, but they do fade pretty well. Ofcourse as of now, only to be replaced with more cysts :wall:

But hopefully....... once this whole thing is done.... that wont be the case. Btw, your skin looks awesome - congratulations!

I understand how you feel. My first bad cystic breakout happened around early 2007 but for various reasons (I moved around a bit, my then derm wanted to try the whole regimen of antibiotics and Retin-A first, and she didn't even prescribe Accutane anyways), I didn't start Accutane until April 2009. I was so sick of the treatments that didn't work that I finally asked my derm to recommend another derm who actually prescribed Accutane. So I fully understand the neverending cycle of moderate cysts that come and go but never really go away.

I realize that I had to go through all the other stuff to see if Accutane was my last resort but I wish I had the opportunity to start it one year earlier.

In any case, I'm 4 months into the course (40mg the first two months and 80mg the next four). The transition to 80mg wasn't that noticeable, if anything, a little more dryness on the lips. You may want to slightly exaggerate the amount of cysts you've had over the last month during your next derm appt so that a higher dosage seems more reasonable. One of the biggest predictive factors for not relapsing post treatment is your cumulative dosage so if you're gonna undergo Accutane, you might as well nuke the acne with the highest dosage.

I started feeling pretty good about my results around Day 80 (and most people start seeing good results in Month 3) so you should feel hopeful that good times (70s black sitcom joke intended) lie ahead.

Paco, you werent lying.... Im experiencing Month 3 awesomeness.

Face isnt completely clear, but I can tell a big difference. Man, I wish I wouldve posted those pics from 3 wks ago. I actually took some with intent to post & then chickened out. I dont even think theyre on my camera anymore, but if I can find them I have to show you guys the difference.

The derm reluctantly bumped me up to 60 mg last Tuesday & Im glad she agreed. I take one 40 mg pill a day & then two 40 mg pills the next in order to equal it out to 60. However the side effects seem like they have already worsened. Especially my nose - oh my God, my nooose! Its so dry it hurts, no matter how much saline or aquaphor I stick up there. Argh.

In other news, my lovely place of employment decided to switch us over to a HRA health plan. What does that mean for me? Well, I now have to pay for all of my meds & office visits out of pocket until I meet the $750 deductible. :shock:

Good times.

I've yet to receive a bill for last Tuesday's appt, so I have no idea how much that's gonna cost. But I dooooo know that I paid $273 for one month's supply of 40 mg Clavaris. And will continue to do so until my cycle is over.

The end of this just cant come fast enough. Between the cysts, the shame, the money & the side effects.... it has not been an easy road. But hopefully... hopefully... it will be one that was well worth it.

Thank you again to all of the support I have received here. It helps to know Im not in this alone. :wub:

Week 14

Wow, its been almost a month since I have updated this. Things have just been crazy over here. And not really in a good way.

My face has 2 healing cysts & one looming under the surface. I went through a short-lived clear period & it felt awesome. But then... back to business as usual. Feels like false hope on a bad day. Now on a good day... Im able to remind myself that its a process & Im not going to be "healed" half way through my cycle. Its just hard.

Making matters worse, Clavaris has raised the cost of their drug. If you'll remember my insurance recently changed & I now have to pay out of pocket for all medical expenses until I meet a $750 deductible. Last month my 30 day supply was like $270. I went to pick up my prescription last night & it was $475.

Yeah. $500. I have to take out a loan just to keep going on my current cycle. I feel so defeated! I have gone thru so much hell to get on this drug & so far its not doing anything except draining my bank account & giving me a crusty nose & mouth. Im still breaking out AND I have a raccoon red face.

I know I sound like a whiny little bitch right now, but I just really needed to vent. I'm half way through this & I cant turn back now. Its just... so much harder than I ever imagined.

Edited by downwithgrace

Stay positive. If your deductible is $750, you've basically met it already so you should be good now right? In any case, you can't put a price on confidence and self-esteem. In the grand scheme of things, $750 isn't even a blip on the radar.

Sorry that you hit a setback but if you're in Week 14, then you really should have only brighter days ahead. Good luck!

Thanks Paco. Thats really the only thing keeping going at this point, is knowing that my deductible will be met & I wont have to keep going through this financially. I definitely couldnt do another month of paying for this stuff out of pocket, thats for sure.

Once thats out of the way, I feel like alot my stresses will subside. And youre right about the other - you cant put a price on that. Im just so scared that I will have gone through all of this with no real results.

But like I said, Ive come too far to go back & Im just gonna have to hang in there. You've been a huge help - I CANT THANK YOU ENOUGH!!