Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I have been off accutane for 5 months now and my skin still looks amazing!! I have been clear for 7 months and counting. I have gotten soooo much support and helpful advice from this site while i was on accutane but lately I can't hardly stand to read posts on here anymore!! This seems to be more of an "ANTI-ACCUTANE" message board. I HATE it when people get on this site and say how terrible accutane is and it ruined their life and it should be banned. How selfish!!! Just because it didn't work for one person, doesn't mean it should be taken away from someone who it WILL help. That's like smoking cigarettes, then complaining that it gave you cancer when you made the conscious decision to do it in the first place. The only difference is, accutane actually DOES help people and smoking doesn't. There are a lot better things to bitch about! Accutane may not help everyone, but enough to matter. It is just frustrating to me that there are people out there who THINK they are being helpful by discouraging others from taking accutane when it could be the only thing that cures their acne. That was the case for me!! I couldn't stand the thought of living with acne for one more year.... and accutane gave me my life back. My side effects were managable while on accutane and completely cleared up after stopping. If you think accutane is a life ruiner, look at the pictures in my gallery... acne is a life ruiner. I believe everyone is entilted to their opinion and it is important for others to know the potential risks... but it isnt fair to use scare tactics and blanket statements to discourage people from taking this drug. If someone had scared me out of taking accutane, I would be crying in my room hiding my skin from the world instead of out enjoying my life. This site is for HELPFUL advice, not bullying. That being said, eat your veggies, always wear sunscreen, always use protection, and don't drive drunk. :)

Best of luck accutane users!

I totally agree. It gets really old reading in every post about how accutane is evil and to stay away from it. I'm about to start my third month and my skin is already clear. It's so nice not having to use some complicated regimen anymore for just average results. I shower once a day and thats my regimen along with 2 pills and my skin is completely clear. Anyone who has moderate to severe acne, I would also encourage trying accutane if nothing has worked for you.

Not all accutane victims are anti accutane...Anyway, it is easy for you to say how selfish some of them are because you are not in their shoes before or maybe "yet".

I agree with Adrienne, and I'm glad she said something about it. If you had a bad experience, post in the negative thread and be done with it.

I often wonder if the people who had negative experiences on accutane even had severe acne to begin with. If those people had really had severe acne, then they would understand it's not just a "social" problem. I think if you have never suffered from severe acne, then you have no business telling other people what they should or should not do about their skin.

I have been off accutane for 5 months now and my skin still looks amazing!! I have been clear for 7 months and counting. I have gotten soooo much support and helpful advice from this site while i was on accutane but lately I can't hardly stand to read posts on here anymore!! This seems to be more of an "ANTI-ACCUTANE" message board. I HATE it when people get on this site and say how terrible accutane is and it ruined their life and it should be banned. How selfish!!! Just because it didn't work for one person, doesn't mean it should be taken away from someone who it WILL help. That's like smoking cigarettes, then complaining that it gave you cancer when you made the conscious decision to do it in the first place. The only difference is, accutane actually DOES help people and smoking doesn't. There are a lot better things to bitch about! Accutane may not help everyone, but enough to matter. It is just frustrating to me that there are people out there who THINK they are being helpful by discouraging others from taking accutane when it could be the only thing that cures their acne. That was the case for me!! I couldn't stand the thought of living with acne for one more year.... and accutane gave me my life back. My side effects were managable while on accutane and completely cleared up after stopping. If you think accutane is a life ruiner, look at the pictures in my gallery... acne is a life ruiner. I believe everyone is entilted to their opinion and it is important for others to know the potential risks... but it isnt fair to use scare tactics and blanket statements to discourage people from taking this drug. If someone had scared me out of taking accutane, I would be crying in my room hiding my skin from the world instead of out enjoying my life. This site is for HELPFUL advice, not bullying. That being said, eat your veggies, always wear sunscreen, always use protection, and don't drive drunk. :)

Best of luck accutane users!

I'm so glad that people take the time to post their postive results too!! It seems like the people who have had negative side effects have to go on and on about it, but the one's who got good results just move on with their lives. I'm starting my accutane treatment today (if ipledge works out lol). I was soo scared to take it at first but after reading more positive stories I decided to give it a go. I just want to thank you for posting your honest experience with it. I'm glad it worked for you and I hope it will for me as well. Thanks for being helpful : )

You also have to understand the horror stories from accutane people are claiming.....probably amount to .0001%. Think about it. If you take Accutane and within the first week your skin clears and smooth sailing from there......are the majority of these people going to register on a message board to say within the first week their skin is already clear? Also.....when people complete a full course of accutane and there skin is absolutely flawless and they are out banging bitches like a full time job....do you think there going to stop back in on a message board to write a story about how successful there treatment went? Well if you need help answering....the answer is no. However, the people who have horrific initial breakouts, horrific side effects, permanent side effects, ect....are the ones who are going to register on a message board and seek help, support, or anything. Nobody reads about the 99% of the people who are clear, no side effects, and are enjoying life. Just remember these things, your reading all the bad and very little of the good.

Just remember these things, your reading all the bad and very little of the good.

This is incredibly true, I have found out since starting accutane that at least 3 of my good friends have been on it in the past (4 people if you count my older sister). You will never hear their stories because it would never occur to them to register on an acne support website... because they don't have acne anymore, duh.

do you think there going to stop back in on a message board to write a story about how successful there treatment went? Well if you need help answering....the answer is no.

this isnt completely true... I come back to this message board even though my skin is 100% clear now. There are people who come back to tell success stories.... but they are the minority. The majority are the ones who STILL have acne and are seeking advice. I was one of them!! and this site helped me connect to others who shared the same struggle. I check back to this site every once in a while because I KNOW accutane users want to hear success stories... I definitely did. I just dont like it when negative posts over run the board.

I agree with Adrienne, and I'm glad she said something about it. If you had a bad experience, post in the negative thread and be done with it.

I often wonder if the people who had negative experiences on accutane even had severe acne to begin with. If those people had really had severe acne, then they would understand it's not just a "social" problem. I think if you have never suffered from severe acne, then you have no business telling other people what they should or should not do about their skin.

This, exactly! And thanks Adrienne for sharing your positive story and checking back once in a while. It really helps those of us that are in our courses. :)

I don't think accutane should be banned at all, but I do think that dermatologists should be more careful with it. My acne was totally tolerable, and my dermatologist said so. But he said that, since I had to stay on minocycline, that it would be totally cool if I quickly went on accutane to be rid of it once and for all.

Now, here I am 5 and a half months post-tane. My face looks like a strawberry. I rarely go a week without someone asking me what happened to my face.

I don't think discouragement is the right choice either, but DEFINITELY making sure that people are at a state in their life where they are really in need. Some people have acne bad enough that the risk is worth it. But many times I also see people who have only a few zits who ask if they should go on accutane. IMO, we need to stop this ENDORSE or DON'T ENDORSE, because it varies depending on who you're talking to.

I still have hope, mind you. There are several post-accutane treatments (i.e. lasers) that one can go on. About a month and I can talk to my derm about it!

Adrienne!

Hey I'm going on my second course of Accutane in September!

I was on a 5 month course for my first one (Late July 2008 - Early January 2009) and it went great! My skin was so clear. I was clear for about 6 months post-tane.. But started getting oily again : ( and with that.. My acne came back, but very mildly compared to my acne before Accutane.

I'm Just wondering how you're doing post-tane now.. Has your oil returned at all? I think I read somewhere you said that you were normally really oily, me too! : ( sucks! Lucky for you, though, you're acne wont return because I'm sure you're older than me. Older the age, higher the success rate.

To the original poster- Thanks for providing the rest of us with the updates that you have. I started out on my course right around the time you started clearing up, so reading your posts, and seeing a success story was a great piece of encouragement to me. It definitely instilled confidence in me to trust the medicine would work, and to be patient with it (which isn't easy). So yeah... thanks adrienne!

Adrienne!

Hey I'm going on my second course of Accutane in September!

I was on a 5 month course for my first one (Late July 2008 - Early January 2009) and it went great! My skin was so clear. I was clear for about 6 months post-tane.. But started getting oily again : ( and with that.. My acne came back, but very mildly compared to my acne before Accutane.

I'm Just wondering how you're doing post-tane now.. Has your oil returned at all? I think I read somewhere you said that you were normally really oily, me too! : ( sucks! Lucky for you, though, you're acne wont return because I'm sure you're older than me. Older the age, higher the success rate.

Amen.

I was told for twenty years - "your acne isn't bad enough" or "you're a white female, accutane won't work for you?" That was a slam. I tried everything and have been under the care of several derms. I have scars all over indicating how serious my acne has been.

Finally found a derm last yr (who happens to be a white woman) to prescribe tane to me after being under her care and following her instructions for seven months that was unsuccessful. (BTW - over 70% of her accutane patients are white women.) Everyone always talks about how people die from accutane and how people get depressed, etc. Well, you can also die from a lot of things that you intentionally do to your body. All of the negative comments overshadow the positive ones. Fortunately, the three people that I personally know who have taken this in the past had dramatic results from their tane experiences.

I was so extremely excited when I finally started tane. I have encountered some bumps in the road....however, I have to weigh the benefits and consequences. Do I want to deal with side effects or have volcanos growing and exploding on my face? At this point in my life, I choose the side effects.

I am sorry for those users who have had such negative experiences. Maybe this wasn't the right treatment for them.

I understand going in that my skin is not going to be perfect. I feel this is my ticket. I don't let the negative comments discourage others who want to try tane if they have exhausted all other options. I am informed of the potential risks and will stay strong. Taking tane is the right thing for me.

Thanks for all the previous positive comments. This is encouraging to hear! :)

Just curious, what dosage where you on, and what will you be on this time?

Hey arthur,

I was on 40mg a day for the first month or two, then my derm bumped me up to 60mg for the rest of my course. I have no idea what dosage I will be on this time, I don't start until September 2nd. I assume I'll be put on the same dosage the second time around. If you read my log around the time I start you could follow along : )

Good luck on your course!

YOU TOOK THE WORDS RIGHT OUT MY MOUTH!!! I’m around 3 In a haff mouths into it and its changed my life soo much for the better when I think back on how it was when I had acne I want to cry its so hard to enjoy life when you suffer with acne I now have confidence I feel free and I don’t have to make myself go out in public. Without acuttane I don’t know want I would do but I know I wouldn’t be enjoying life

Its so hard for me to see all these negative things about auttane b.c I wish I could tell everyone who’s suffering with acne about itt and how amazing it is people really need to stop sayin how bad it is it could be the one thing that gives life back to someone and clears their skin

If I would have read some of the things ppl said about it I might not have took it. which would have been really horrible because its changed my life soo much I wish I would have took it sooner. well im really happy you posted this

you definitely give me SOOO much hope, I haven't try accutane so I should give it a try, I'm so sick & frustrated about acne & always try to hide from everyone, it definitely has ruined my self esteem so this post gives me hope, because of all those anti-accutane comments I wasn't going to give it any chance but I saw your results on your pictures & it could work for me too.

So. Thanks :) At least I still have hope

:D

You guys obviously don't care about the fact that Accutane is also used as a chemotherapy drug. You obviously don't care about the numerous studies which prove Accutane decreases frontal-lobe brain activity and reduces cell proliferation in the hippocampus. But whatever, fuck with your brain (and all of the cells inside of your body) so you can live a life free of acne. I am an accutane victim and I think that Accutane should only be taken by those who are over 18 with the exception of those who are at risk for severe scarring and those that have various skin disorders such as harlequin-type itchyosis. Teenage acne is normal, so those who have moderate acne-- live with it for a few years and it will go away soon enough... if your acne doesn't go away by the time you are 18, then think about going on Accutane (but at that time topicals such as Retina-A should work much better). Taking accutane while your body and brain are still developing is obviously not a smart thing to do from a physiological standpoint. Honestly, ask your dermatologist how accutane works, and he will say something like "Oh, well it works by shrinking your sebaceous glands and by lowering the production and output of sebum"... obviously it does that... but ask your derm Accutane's exact mechanism of action. Ask him how it works on a cellular level.... he can't answer that question, because even Roche claims that they don't have the answer. So for all of you with mild to moderate acne-- go ahead, take accutane. Experience vit. A toxicity. Change your brain chemistry. Decrease the rate of cell proliferation within all rapidly dividing cells in your body. Good luck. Clear skin here we come! (Oh, and just so nobody misinterprets me, I'm fine with Accutane being used to treat severe acne. However, I am not fine with accutane being injested by teenagers with only moderate acne. It has been reported that over 70 percent of accutane users only have mild to moderate acne... so obviously the FDA and dermatologists aren't doing their job)

You guys obviously don't care about the fact that Accutane is also used as a chemotherapy drug. You obviously don't care about the numerous studies which prove Accutane decreases frontal-lobe brain activity and reduces cell proliferation in the hippocampus. But whatever, fuck with your brain (and all of the cells inside of your body) so you can live a life free of acne. I am an accutane victim and I think that Accutane should only be taken by those who are over 18 with the exception of those who are at risk for severe scarring and those that have various skin disorders such as harlequin-type itchyosis. Teenage acne is normal, so those who have moderate acne-- live with it for a few years and it will go away soon enough... if your acne doesn't go away by the time you are 18, then think about going on Accutane (but at that time topicals such as Retina-A should work much better). Taking accutane while your body and brain are still developing is obviously not a smart thing to do from a physiological standpoint. Honestly, ask your dermatologist how accutane works, and he will say something like "Oh, well it works by shrinking your sebaceous glands and by lowering the production and output of sebum"... obviously it does that... but ask your derm Accutane's exact mechanism of action. Ask him how it works on a cellular level.... he can't answer that question, because even Roche claims that they don't have the answer. So for all of you with mild to moderate acne-- go ahead, take accutane. Experience vit. A toxicity. Change your brain chemistry. Decrease the rate of cell proliferation within all rapidly dividing cells in your body. Good luck. Clear skin here we come! (Oh, and just so nobody misinterprets me, I'm fine with Accutane being used to treat severe acne. However, I am not fine with accutane being injested by teenagers with only moderate acne. It has been reported that over 70 percent of accutane users only have mild to moderate acne... so obviously the FDA and dermatologists aren't doing their job)

I think your the type of people they were talking about. Just won't shut up about it. Go to the negative experience thread and leave it alone my friend.

hallelujah. lol. All these negative accutane users come here with the sole intent to intimidate people not to take accutane, and the worst part is they don't give adequate information of their situation, such as the dosage, how long they were on it, health conditions, height, etc. So how am I supposed to know if I'm in the same boat as them in my situation.

P.S. ALL you scaremongers if you really want to help people who are on accutane or deciding to take it, give us some much needed background information, then just negative effect to scare us or possibly promote you're own acne system.