Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
asn6

My SUCCESS at Clearing with Niacin and Diet!

Laxer04: I would take a B-complex with the niacin if at all possible. The B vitamins work in conjunction with each other. Zinc has been used with niacin by other members of this board. I take a multivitamin that only has 10 mg of Niacin. You don't need to work your way up with no-flush, I started with 500 mg.

So I'm on the verge of tears. I read and followed the niacin success stories for a couple of weeks before finally leaping into it (I had done a levulan treatment two weeks ago and wanted to see whether it did something on its own - was my second treatment). I have cystic acne and have had it for the past 5-6 years (I only started getting it in my late 20's). I went on accutane for 6 months last year and it actually cleared me up but as of may, the acne started to return and now it's just back again.

I took Niacin 500 mg (no flush) the same kind as the OP took and patiently crossed my fingers. I haven't noticed any of the changes that everyone else seems to be noticing. I've been taking it for 6 days now and I feel new cysts on my cheeks and small pimples wanting to come out (I usually never get small pimples, it's all huge cysts). I'm going to continue taking it as it can't hurt but I feel absolutely so discouraged and I'm no longer on the verge of tears but actually crying. I can't go on Accutane again. I had EVERY side effect on the book AND I gained 30 pounds because I coudln't exercise while on it -cardio, I could lift weights and do other stuff but I coudln't do cardio because it made me get hives! After the round of Accutane, I was so happy. I concentrated on getting back in shape, running, being healthy and I lost all 30 pounds, and actually could go outside with no makeup and overall was feeling great. Then one day in late May, they started coming back. I immediately tried to get help and that's when my derm suggested levulan (all the benefits of Accutane without the side effects!) but it's also not working for me. I've had two (very expensive) treatments and nothing.

500 mg of Niacin, Spring Valley, the no flush kind, with hexo something or the other. I eat healthy and exercise. What am doing wrong?

So I'm on the verge of tears. I read and followed the niacin success stories for a couple of weeks before finally leaping into it (I had done a levulan treatment two weeks ago and wanted to see whether it did something on its own - was my second treatment). I have cystic acne and have had it for the past 5-6 years (I only started getting it in my late 20's). I went on accutane for 6 months last year and it actually cleared me up but as of may, the acne started to return and now it's just back again.

I took Niacin 500 mg (no flush) the same kind as the OP took and patiently crossed my fingers. I haven't noticed any of the changes that everyone else seems to be noticing. I've been taking it for 6 days now and I feel new cysts on my cheeks and small pimples wanting to come out (I usually never get small pimples, it's all huge cysts). I'm going to continue taking it as it can't hurt but I feel absolutely so discouraged and I'm no longer on the verge of tears but actually crying. I can't go on Accutane again. I had EVERY side effect on the book AND I gained 30 pounds because I coudln't exercise while on it -cardio, I could lift weights and do other stuff but I coudln't do cardio because it made me get hives! After the round of Accutane, I was so happy. I concentrated on getting back in shape, running, being healthy and I lost all 30 pounds, and actually could go outside with no makeup and overall was feeling great. Then one day in late May, they started coming back. I immediately tried to get help and that's when my derm suggested levulan (all the benefits of Accutane without the side effects!) but it's also not working for me. I've had two (very expensive) treatments and nothing.

500 mg of Niacin, Spring Valley, the no flush kind, with hexo something or the other. I eat healthy and exercise. What am doing wrong?

Hey! I am sorry to hear what you are going through. I highly recommend looking into cleansing your body and mainly the colon. There are obviously many benefits, and maybe clearing your acne may just be a side effect! I am about to do a colon cleanse myself and I will see what it does for me, as I have a history of overeating. Sometimes taking pills does not work for such problems.

Edited by Mr. Crab

Ok, So i just bought 500mg of niacin flush free inost. spring valley brand [ same as you i think ]

So:

Morning 1 x 50mg zinc

Night x1 500mg niacin

Night x1 B-complex

Is that perfect??

:Was going to count my pimples so i can see if i improve but lost track =[

Laxer04: That seems like a great supplement routine! B-complex has B5 but all the other B's too. Good luck!

Stella1: Please don't cry! It sometimes takes a lot of trial and error to find what works for you. Do you use cleansers/topicals? Cleansers were giving me acne, and I didn't even know it at the time. Give the Niacin some more time, at least 2 weeks, maybe a month. If you bought the bottle you might as well finish it out just in case! I know how disheartening it is to have cystic acne, so I feel for you. I wish you luck in finding something that works! Maybe check out the threads on the low GI diets -- it's seemed to work for other people. I know AcneJean, Brenton B, and alternavista are other people who have cleared naturally without drugs or topicals. And like Mr. Crab said, there are other things you can try. Hang in there!

lenpopz: nope, it doesn't at all. Some people say it does, but if anything it has made my skin softer and more balanced. My 50 year old mother (who has super dry skin) now uses it and loves it. She uses moisturizers, too, though.

Shum: That's not the same brand, but it's the right kind. It should work fine. Good luck!

Update: I've almost been using Niacin for 60 days! I just noticed there are only a few left in my bottle. It's still working, and I hope it continues *crosses fingers*

So I have been using the papaya soap for three days now and so far it is going okay I guess. No noticeable changes yet but it is has only been three days. My skin feels bumpier than normal and I have a lot of red marks and scars right now so hopefully the soap will be able to help.

asn6: I know everyone is different so what happened for you won't technically happen for me but can you desribe a little bit more about the soap's effect on your skin and when you noticed it? Like I said before my main problem are closed comedones and clogged pores. While I don't expect it to unclog my blackheads I was hoping it could help with the comedones.

Thanks!

surely there is long term effects of niacin for this length of time asn?

try not taking them now, since you have used them for 60 days? would be interesting !

i am still breaking out despite my religious no alcohol no dairy etc. just depressing.

i might have to just live with it and eat and do what i like :(

want2beme: I think I'm going to buy a new bottle, but I'm going to taper off from taking one every day. I might start by not taking it 1 day a week, like Sunday, and see what happens. If it doesn't affect anything, I might start taking one caplet every other day, and then maybe eventually I won't have to take it anymore. We'll see what happens :) Good luck with your diet too. Maybe it's something else that could be a trigger? citrus? gluten?

I think I'm going to jump on this wagon also.

I am a 26 year old female. I had some acne during my teens, never anything bad although at the time I thought it was horrible. My acne got worse after I was diagnosed with endometriosis and did a course of Lupron (about five years ago). My son was born in September of last year and after I quit nursing him my skin just went haywire.

I have been to two doctors and a dermatologist. The derm wanted to put me on Accutane which is out of the question. I also am not a fan of taking antibiotics or rubbing them on my skin. To me it seems counter productive. I want to find out what is causing my acne instead of merely getting prescribed a Band-aid.

My acne is primarily on my jawline and my cheeks. It varies from cystic acne to just small whiteheads. My forehead and front of my face are mostly clear. It's weird because if you look at me face-on it's not that obvious I have acne (just some clogged pores on my forehead), but from the side my face is autrocious!

Diet seems to have no effect on it. I have been a vegetarian for 7 years so I know it's not meat related. I consume very little dairy so that can't be it. I have tried cutting out sugar, fats, soy - you name it, I've done it. Nothing seems to help.

I have been reading up on this and another Niacin thread and went to the store today to pick up some of this supposed wonderpill! I got the Spring Valley kind that the OP takes as well.

I will let you all know if I have any results! I already took some "before" pictures and I am SO hoping things will get better.

Good luck to everyone trying this!

Edited by Dutchie1014

So, here's a 14 day update....and I might just be ready to post pictures! I'd been pretty discouraged because I have some pretty deep red scars that I was hoping would magically disappear, but after looking at my before and after pictures, I think my acne and scars have made significant improvement considering it's only been 14 days since I started taking the Niacin.

I did get three tiny little pimples a few days ago since it was right before my 'visit'. They were so small they were almost cute! lol I'm used to big whiteheads and cysts, so these tiny little pink things made me laugh. They were gone two days later too and now...here I am, in the middle of my visit with NO pimples on my face! (I know it's TMI for you guys out there...but hey, it's relevant for us girls!)

I've been washing my face twice a day with the Likas soap, and even though I still have most of my original scars, I have noticed they've lightened some and my skin looks smoother and milkier...if that's a word. So without further ado....here are the before and after pics. The first two are AFTER, the second two are BEFORE. (The upload order on this thing is a mess.) I'm cringing at putting these up because these are all fresh faced, no makeup. Bleh. Can't wait to be scar free!

JC

post-110811-1252207027_thumb.jpg

post-110811-1252207038_thumb.jpg

post-110811-1252207107_thumb.jpg

post-110811-1252207132_thumb.jpg

post-110811-1252207027_thumb.jpg

post-110811-1252207038_thumb.jpg

post-110811-1252207107_thumb.jpg

post-110811-1252207132_thumb.jpg

Edited by JC32

gluten? maybe, like bread?

i noticed my multi vit tablet, contains 50mg of niacin!

:)

i need something to get rid of my blemishes (red marks)

they look as bad as the spots themselves!

i take a powerful pro biotic to at night.

to the poster above. looks good to me! what dosage of niacin do you take a day? none flush?

any other vits?

ive never seen just niacin pills in the shops. must be an american thing

to the poster above. looks good to me! what dosage of niacin do you take a day? none flush?

any other vits?

want2beme,

I'm taking 500mg of the no flush niacin (inositol hexanicotinate) every evening after dinner and a "Hair, Skin & Nails" vit. supp. after breakfast. I drink lots of water a day and that's been about it. I'll admit I haven't been watching my diet as much as I'd like...but I'm still seeing a good amount of changes. I mean, I haven't had one new cyst since the day I started taking them, and that is such a big deal to me. I can finally focus on repairing my red scars!

It feels weird washing my face and feeling soft skin under my fingertips. I'm so used to a few bumps along the way....I really hope this works in the long run because I don't want to have to deal with adult acne ever again.

What biotic treatment are you using at night for your red marks?

JC

SMT12483: I apologize, I must not have seen your question last time I responded in this thread. My skin became smoother, in general. All the little "bumps" I had around my hairline and cheeks went away when I started using the Likas soap. My skin became even. I think I'm allergic to like, every other soap or cleanser on the planet.

Dutchie1014: Good luck! I'm sure everyone in this thread knows how hard it is to be older and still breaking out. I sure do :( I hope Niacin helps you! Let me know how it goes!

JC32: Wow, great progress! I hope it continues for you. In my experience, the scars that were "red" or pink seemed to eventually fade. I only have a small pock-mark or two where I thought I had super deep scars. It just takes a few months of not being broken out to notice it, I think.

Wow, this must be the perfect regimen for acne. I must say, i was sceptical initially, and after 2 weeks of no progress with the no-flush niacin i was about to give up. But the OP's success made me keep at it( plus i did'nt want to waste the niacin). After a month of consistent usage, i'm finally acne- free. Yup only the red marks are left which the likas soap is helping with. Yesterday i almost cried of joy when i was massaging the soap on my face and i could not feel a single bump-a month ago, it was the exact opposite! ;)

My regimen is exactly the same as asn's minus the women's vitamin for obvious reason lol. And i'm taking the NOW brand flush-free inositol hex. as i can't find the spring valley brand in my country. Thanks Asn for your updates, i really hope my acne nightmare is finally over. :pray:

stm1975: I have not tried B5 by itself. My B-Complex has a significant amount of it, though. There is also some in my multivitamin.

mankhan: That's really interesting! I'm so glad it worked for you. It's helpful that you stuck with it and eventually saw great results, because I saw results from the start so it's really hard to tell someone to hang in there when you didn't really have to. I wish you the best! Hope it continues to work for you :)

Update: I've started taking Niacin once every other day as a sort of experiment. I'm going to keep a tighter grip on my diet (I've been slacking MAJORLY which led to a few small pimples on my hairline) and see if I can get away with a Niacin every other day, just for fun. I really wish you could just take no flush Niacin for 60 days and be done with it, like accutane but way less of a pain, but something tells me it's not going to be that easy :) I'll keep everyone posted.

Well, it's been 9 days since I've been taking the Niacin and things are looking so much better!! I have only gotten two cysts as opposed to tons of new ones every day. My scars are fading quickly also.

I do have to admit that Niacin isn't the only thing I have been taking for the last few days. Since I suspect my acne is largely related to hormones I have also been taking Evening Primrose Oil three times a day. So all in all I take Niacin, EPO, Vitamin C, B and a multi.

I imagine that at some point I will have to eliminate one of these supplements to see which one is responsible for clearing my skin, but there's no way I'm doing that anytime soon!! I am enjoying the fact that my skin is so much clearer than just a week ago. I still have some bumps here and there but overall it's a 100% improvement from before. I am so excited!

Today all I put on my face before I went off to class was a bit of mineral make up. I wasn't as self conscious about my skin as I normally am. It's awesome!

Yaaaay!! :dance:

Edited by Dutchie1014

Well, it's been 9 days since I've been taking the Niacin and things are looking so much better!! I have only gotten two cysts as opposed to tons of new ones every day. My scars are fading quickly also.

I do have to admit that Niacin isn't the only thing I have been taking for the last few days. Since I suspect my acne is largely related to hormones I have also been taking Evening Primrose Oil three times a day. So all in all I take Niacin, EPO, Vitamin C, B and a multi.

I imagine that at some point I will have to eliminate one of these supplements to see which one is responsible for clearing my skin, but there's no way I'm doing that anytime soon!! I am enjoying the fact that my skin is so much clearer than just a week ago. I still have some bumps here and there but overall it's a 100% improvement from before. I am so excited!

Today all I put on my face before I went off to class was a bit of mineral make up. I wasn't as self conscious about my skin as I normally am. It's awesome!

Yaaaay!! :dance:

exactly same experience.. its been 3 days that im taking solgars no flush niacin.. and my skin looks amazing.. the pores seem to have shrunk.. and the active zits that i had are healing quickly..

I'm already taking 50 mg zinc. im going to reduce the amount of zinc and niacin in a month and see how it goes :)

to asn6

You said the cleansers you were using made your skin breakout, which cleansers where you using?

Ive been using panoxl for a while now and am starting to think the dryness might be causing my skin to breakout. I've just ordered some Likas papaya soap but don't really know too much about it, is it likely to dry out the skin or cause an inital breakout?

i know theres a lot of questions but thanks in advance for your help!

wow, this is all so heartening. to the original poster: you are looking great. i'm so happy for you! hearing all the success stories has me me really want to give it a try (in fact am going to go and buy some after posting this!). i've had acne since i was 17 (clear before then....) and i'm now 25. i have tried EVERYTHING as well (including accutane, antibiotics, lasers, creams, you name it. nothing worked).

i'm using omega 3 fish oil (i have been this past year) because of the success stories in the nutritition board and it worked alright, but not hundred percent. and in fact these past few months, my skin has been really acting up and looks AWFUL right now (which is partly due to university exam stress, etc i think)....:( so i really want to try this. however, i just bought 3 bottles of fish oil just last week and don't want them to go to waste.

so my question is, does anyone know if it is okay to take fish oil (i'm taking 2000 mg per day) with the niacin? any help/response will be much appreciated!!!

thank you!