Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
M Kat

Let's Try This One Out- Minocycline 100mg

July 22, 2009

Brief History: I have been dealing with acne on and off since I was 13. I would get pimples here and there as a teen but nothing that was too extreme where I went to a dermatologist. Finally when I started going through more stress and at age 19 I started experiencing bad cycstic acne around my chin. I went on tetracycline 500mg and some topical like benzoyl peroxide and it cleared it up in a few months. Over the course of the next 10 years I had been on and off tetracycline and erythromycin solution and benzoly peroxide, which always did the trick. And I have been on orthocycline birth control for about 5 years.

About six months ago I went off birth control and was off of it for around 4-5 months where I noticed a small increase in breakouts. Then I decided to stop using my erythromycin and benzoyl peroxide for about 2 weeks, I made a dumb decision thinking that was ok now since I was getting older, OH my GOD! It was back in full force. I couldn't believe it, but then again, I can :(

So the first thing I did was go to my gynecologist to get down to the bottom of why I was still breaking out so bad. They did tests, ultrasounds, blood work, and supposedly everything was normal. So, they said go back on ortho-cyclen, since I was not trying to get pregnant, and I did. The birth control didn't seem to clear my skin so I went to my general doctor and asked her for some medication for acne, BIG MISTAKE!!! She gave me retin-a which completely RUINED my skins, well not literally, but enough to make me freak. I used it for 5 weeks and lord I had to stop before it got worse. Then I finally made a better move and went to my dermatologist which winds me up where I am today.

I was prescribed minocycline 100mg 1x per day and benzamycin for about almost two weeks. I have noticed a reduction in my breakout and my skin is no longer oily at all, somewhat dry, which makes me think I should be using a moisturizer? I have been hopeful that this combination is just as good as the others. I guess I will have to be patient.

If not I am looking at spiro...accutane (but last resort). I know that I have hormonal-stress acne and it just doesn't stop....I am wondering if I should be on spiro...I think I will talk to the derm about that one... Will update...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 23, 2009

I just looked at my prescription for minocycline and I started it on July 10th which would make today 13 days on minocycline. Today I was somewhat dissapointed because when I woke up my skin still looks tore up from the past breakouts from the retin a. I am hoping that in the next couple of weeks the antibiotics and benzamycin do well on my skin. I would say today I have only two pimples today, one on my chin and one on my right cheek. Unfrotunately I can be a skin picker so I have a scab on my left upper cheek that is slowly going away and I have one scab that looks ugly on my right part of my chin. I am going to really try and not pick at my skin because It know it makes it look much worse. Will update...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 24, 2009

Today there are no new pimples, however, I have scabs that are healing from my recent breakout. I can't stand it, they are so ugly, almost uglier than a pimple. Well that is my own doing from picking at my face. I have two scabs on the right side of my chin, one very small scab on right cheek, and a very faint scab on my upper left cheek. It does look like the breakout has stopped so I am going to take that as a positive sign. I must be patient as it is only two weeks today that I have been taking the medicine. I have started running again after work so I hope that it helps the healing process.

July 29, 2009

I am 99% clear on this regiment after almost three weeks. It's pretty good so far so I am very happy. I am going to try and schedule a facial to help with exfoliation and do something nice for myself because I have never had one in the past. I still have the few marks from past breakouts but they are not as bad and seem to be fading. I guess at this point this is what I hoped for, but as usual I know that I have to keep up with this, no more stopping my treatment thinking I am cured.

August 05, 2009

Ohhh my gawd! OK, so first I will give you the bull shizzy. I got a yeast infection from hell, cried for two nights straight and missed a day from work because of it. A super huge reminder to anyone taking antibiotics, EAT YOGURT, EAT probiotics because if you do not and you experience what I have, it was terrible. I was prescribed diflucan or whatever and some other medicines from my doc which I will say I woke up today feeling hell of a lot better.

OK, so now, my update.

Overall I think my skin looks like shit but overall it is much better from where I started at. Today would be about 27 days on the minocycline and the cream. Right now I have one pimple that was an undergrounder type on my left jawline. Besides that I have noticed a few tiny little bumps more than anything that go away quickly or turn into whiteheads instead of huge inflamed cysts. If I were to do a count today I would say 1 minor pimple and a couple 2-3 tiny ones. I think that mostly that the recent discolorations that I have are the most annoying...I just want my skin to look healthy already, grrr. I will give this treatment another month and if it doesn't give me what i am looking for I am doing the accutane. I am tooo old for this dammit.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

August 7th, 2009

I was starting to get discourage yesterday because I have three new little pimples across the right jaw line. And one on my left cheek. I ended up squeezing all of them because they were extremely irritating and the ones that you can if you are careful. So I did and then I woke up this morning and magically enough my skin actually looked so much better. I am on day 29 today and If my skin stays clear at this point it would start to look healthy again. I am going to give another month and hopefully it continues to get better. If not I am so ready for the accutane...I cannot wait anymore on all these damn antibiotics. Well there it todays update...

August 8th, 2009

So it has only been a day but I am going to post an update. First, I have one spot left on my lower left part of my chin. I made it look more bruised because I thought I could get rid of it faster, which wasn't the case so I am going to just leave it be. I have a few small scabs from my recent breakout that are healing...If those marks were cleared I would be looking pretty clear, so I will be back in a few days to update. So far so good.

August 12th, 2009 (DAY 35)

HAHA My whole post that I added ended up getting deleted so now I have to try and write something again. Well, I was saying that my skin went through a cystic breakout in two places, one on my chin AGAIN and one on my inner cheek. Anyway, I had been stressed out moving, changes, exam for graduate program, lots of hectic life things. I just got tired of dealing with this and antibiotics and made an app to see derm to discuss accutane as back up...I just have a feeling that another round of Antibiotics and eventually it is going to come back again... I want to give it a shot I think, we'll see. So my skin is clear but it again has the after affects of the latest battle.

August 14th, 2009 (Day 37)

Today I was very happy with my skin as it is at this very moment 100% no active ones. There are of course still pigmentation discoloring which seems to go away pretty quickly. I went to my dermatologist and said you know what, I am not going to be on antibiotics the rest of my life, I am going to do accutane if of course you think it would be a good idea. The doc said alright, went through many of the side affects almost seeming like he wanted to scare me a little, then said ok this is what we can do. I start in one month, I have to do the IPLEDGE system and his procedues to get start treatment seem strict which are fine. I have my blood work to do next week so I am looking forward to going through with this after reading other peoples stories. Over ten years of this and I am through...so, I will stay on the course of minocycline until I start the course of accutane... Now I know people think well how dumb to start accutane when your skin is clear, but what they are not taking into consideration is the long term use of antibiotics to keep it that way and the constant relapsed into breaking out into terrible episodes. What happens in my experience is that it is a neverending cycle and it wears on a person. I am hoping that this will keep me clear for a long time in the long term. For now I wait and I it is looking more and more under control every day.

Hey M Kat! I hear your frustrations on the hormonal breakouts! Hope you find some success with mino and benza. I used to take mino and liked it - but developed an allergy to it after time. I have tried spiro - but again, developed a rash so I could never determine if it would have worked. Some people swear by it. I see you are debating accutane. My derm suggested it last fall - I said no at the time and tried some other approaches. So far, not much success and, in fact, my breakouts are becoming more frequent. I am scheduled to start accutane next month (if I don't chicken out...). Good luck and keep posting your progress!

Hey M Kat! I hear your frustrations on the hormonal breakouts! Hope you find some success with mino and benza. I used to take mino and liked it - but developed an allergy to it after time. I have tried spiro - but again, developed a rash so I could never determine if it would have worked. Some people swear by it. I see you are debating accutane. My derm suggested it last fall - I said no at the time and tried some other approaches. So far, not much success and, in fact, my breakouts are becoming more frequent. I am scheduled to start accutane next month (if I don't chicken out...). Good luck and keep posting your progress!

Hello,

Thanks for replying to my posts! Let me know how your progress with accutane goes...I am going to check it out if this doesn't fly this time. And question, what type of allergy did you get from mino? It seems harsh on my stomach and makes me feel kinda weird...Well let me know how your progress goes ok.

I developed a rash from the mino. It was a bummer because it was working for me. It's a good antibiotic for acne. Maybe try taking it with some food to see if that calms your stomach. Sorry about the yeast infection - they suck. I see you are clearing - I hope it works out for you!

I would have liked to avoid accutane - but at this point I see it as inevitable. Long story short: cystic/nodular acne that scars. It's getting worse. I need to get rid of it before I have a true battlefield on my chin. As it stands, I am going to have to figure out some way to get rid of the scars once my treatment is over (I hope I don't get any more along the way - I fear the IB).

I will be sure to check back with you. Keep posting. Good luck!!!

Give Minocycline three months. Antibiotics need time to enter the bloodstream. I saw decent results in the first couple of weeks, and within a month, I noticed a remarkable change in my complexion. Clear skin isn't easy to wait for, but you need to give each treatment the proper amount of time to work. Evaluate the results at the end of your treatment and go from there.

The stomach aches went away in two days. The label on my prescription bottle said to take with a full glass of water or some food. Good luck to you.

Give Minocycline three months. Antibiotics need time to enter the bloodstream. I saw decent results in the first couple of weeks, and within a month, I noticed a remarkable change in my complexion. Clear skin isn't easy to wait for, but you need to give each treatment the proper amount of time to work. Evaluate the results at the end of your treatment and go from there.

The stomach aches went away in two days. The label on my prescription bottle said to take with a full glass of water or some food. Good luck to you.

Hi,Thanks for the words of patience. You're right I do need to give it time...and I will, but as you know it is so frustrating during the process and then when you finally get there it is quite relieving. Well, thanks for the info!

August 23, 2009

Things took a turn for the worst... My skin after 46 days broke out pretty bad. Interestingly enough my benzamycin was making my skin dry so one night I put on cetaphyl lotion thinking that it wont clog my pores...LOTION ALWAYS ALWAYS has made me break out...even the so called special ones...so I put it on and it did make my skin feel sooo much better but then I woke up and I had a line of inflamed pimples across my left cheek to my chin...there was like 6 of them in a line like it had jumped across my face...so weird! Anyway, they all turned to ugly whiteheads and there you go. So I am on my way to accutane...I should be starting within September. I am pretty sure my days on antibiotics have been used up because they are not clearing me anymore...As I feel somewhat defeated...I am in hope that the accutane course will be as effective as some of the logs I have read on here. I am pretty desperate because this episode of breaking out has lasted months...like over six months now and usually I got things under control by topicals and antibiotics in the past but I know that I have become immune...I can tell because they are not as effective as they use to be for me. wahhh. I am ready as most say to take the plunge. I would love for my Christmas present to be clear skin and not having to deal with this for a good time.

I understand you don't want to take antibiotics forever. I noticed on day 37 that your skin was doing better. I was also paranoid about using lotion/moisturizer because it broke my skin out. Eventually, I found a moisturizer that treated my skin well. Did you wean off of antibiotics in the past? I'd like to know. I hope for the best with Accutane.

Wow I haven't posted in a while, I have been busy pretty busy. Today is day 58 and I am glad to say that things turned around and I am quite clear. It is at the two month mark so I think the antibiotics have really finally kicked in. I am still supposed to start accutane in September because I know that the antibiotics will last only so long. For now I am very happy and hope that it continue to improve. My fiance mentioned today that my skin looks great so I was like cool. I will be back to update.

In response to The Heir: As far as weaning off antibiotics in the past...you know I think I would take a round for like six months and then stop...so I don't think I was weaned off. Are you supposed to be weaned off? I know that after I stopped orals though I would continue to use erythromycin which kept me clear. The last time my skin got really bad Is when I went off birth control and then it seems like it went haywire after that... I think a round of antibiotics kept me pretty clear for 6 months to a year now that I think about it..with topical follow up.

Its been about two and a half months. Steady results, not 100 percent clear but pretty close...however I am still waiting to go on accutane. That is about it, nothing major happening.