Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
shooshine

2 Tablespoons of flax seed meal and almonds are awesome!

I'm new as a "registered" user, but have been reading the boards for about two years. My moderate cystic acne seems to be going away and I want to know why! This is a good thing if it lasts! I've been doing many of the things I found here and from other research.

Here's what I've been doing for about 2-3 weeks straight.

-Eating 2Tablespoons of Flaxseed meal- to help hormones and get Omega 3

-Eating 2 Tablespoons of Wheat Germ (only started 2 days ago)

-drinking lots of water

-using jojoba oil to moisturize

-washing my face with Jergens mild bar soap

-trying to de-stress by exercise, swimming, meditation, deep breathing

-for a week and a half, I have been applying fresh lime juice twice a day as an Alpha Hydroxy Acid, it really helped the scars, but I haven't used it for 5 days now

-continuing to drink coffee, and a normal diet (chicken, no meat), but adding more veggies

I have been swimming everyday for about 2 weeks, so I'm not positive if it's my diet or the chlorine and sun that is clearing my skin. I just noticed yesterday that the side of my face that has been growing cysts continually is clear, with only minor scarring. I have a feeling it's one of the things I've been doing, but don't know which- or it could be a fluke and it's gonna come back. I just hope it's not the swimming, cause I can't swim in the winter.

Any thoughts on what it might be?

Edited by shooshine

Hi, shooshine. Thanks for delurking and welcome. :) I'm going to move your post to hopefully get it more traffic and responses to your questions. Take care.

Hi Shooshine,

I think that you've been doing alot of good things that is helping you clear your acne. I don't believe that your acne cleared due to one specific thing you are doing BUT really a combination of all. Your body needs vitamins/minerals (diet/suppliments), Exercise and activity will help your body process everything more efficiently, Deep breathing/meditation helps get oxygen into your body and relieve stress, and not using harsh chemicals on your face will clean and not irritate your skin.

If you are worried that it may be the swimming that is helping your acne, I would suggest taking on some other activity in the winter when you can't swim and also getting a little sun (Vitamin D).

Hope

Yes, it is most likely a combination of factors. Exercise, de-stressing and getting more EFAs are all goods. Is it helping you sleep? What about sugars, refined carbs and bad fats?

Any thoughts on what it might be?

Most likely it's increased hours of bright, outdoor, indirect sunlight in your eyes. This more effectively suppresses melatonin, which tells the intestines that it's daytime, which makes them process your food better, giving your body the nutrients it needs to help avoid acne (primarily, tryptophan and zinc). The daytime bright light exposure also amplifies the nocturnal melatonin peak, further contributing to the effect that allows normal people to avoid acne without elaborate skin/diet rituals.

Thanks for the answers. I'm surprised to say that my skin is amazing now- and I started my "regimen" July 6, and have only had a few small pimples. I usually get cysts that stay for weeks and weeks, but now, I recently got two that only lasted one day (I popped them w/a needle two days ago), yesterday it was swollen-today, smooth and healing fast- no swelling.

My current daily regimen is:

-wash face w/ Jergens mild bar soap in morning and night

-eat 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed in my cereal

-eat 6 raw almonds

And about the sugars/refined carbs/ bad fats- I don't overindulge in these, but definitely don't consciously cut them out. I eat a small, but what I think is normal amount. I try to be healthy, but not totally cut them out.

Pretty simple, but it works for me! I actually think the raw almonds have a lot to do with it, because I didn't eat any for two days, then got the two cyst pimples, popped them and ate my almonds. Today, the swelling is totally gone.

Guest veganwithacne

I already eat a lot of flax and we gobble down raw almonds in this house : ) However, I will try eating more flax. I generally use it to replace eggs when baking and sometimes in my rice smoothies.

The wheat germ is a no go for me, but a great for those who can eat it.

I am convinced that exercise is great for all kinds of things. I always feel like crap when I don't workout.

Congrats on finding something simple that works for you.

An update to this is:

My cystic acne returned after two things happened: I went off my regimen (I remember the day I went on a trip, forgot my flaxseed and just never started it again), then my pimples/cysts started to return slowly) and became extremely stressed at work-so much that I had a continual humming/boiling feeling in my head as well as cysts that would last for 6 months!

Now, I'm back on my regimen, as well as using Retin-A. Seems to be working, but the stress and going off my regimen was a huge mistake!!

Sweet! I eat a serving of almonds every day b/c they're a good muscle food. It's good to know they help skin, too. Also, there's flaxseed in my cereal and bread.