Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
veronicaxx

ALESSE vs. TRI-CYCLEN LO

*I've never had skin problems before starting birth control*

I have experienced really bad acne breakouts on Alesse BCP after just finishing my second pack. Would starting tri-cyclen lo more likely help my skin, or should I stick with Alesse in hopes of it working out?

I have experienced really bad acne breakouts on Alesse BCP after just finishing my second pack. Would starting tri-cyclen lo more likely help my skin, or should I stick with Alesse in hopes of it working out?

Sorry to say, no one can answer this question for you. Oral contraceptives are all different, just as our bodies are, so what works for one person might really mess up the other. For example, Alesse has no effect on my skin (good or bad), but Ortho-Tri-Cyclen (the original, not the Lo version) gave me cystic acne. Unfortunately you're probably just going to have to play the guessing game.

However, if you are just now breaking out after finishing your second pack, I would give it one more month at least, the general recommendation is to give it at least 3 months for your body to get used to the artificial hormones. Good luck!

I went on ortho tri cyclen lo and all it did was make my face worse! Before ortho i was on yaz and it seemed to keep my skin somewhat under control but not 100% but i had other problems with it so i had to switch. I even stopped taking it because i read somewhere that ortho tri cyclen lo doesnt help acne it makes it worse.

Going by my experiences with Alesse, I'd stop them if I were you. I have hormonal acne(PCOS to be exact) and Alesse just made my testosterone levels higher which caused me to have the worst acne breakout I had ever had in years. When I had asked my Endocrinologist about it, he said that some BCP's will do that depending on your hormone levels.

Alesse is one pill I will never go back onto. As for Tri-Cyclen, I've never used that pill. I did try Yasmin and while yes, it did clear up the acne, it gave me killer headaches and it made me feel very weak, especially on my left side so needless to say, I stopped that one too! The only BCP that ever worked great for me was Diane 35.

Going by my experiences with Alesse, I'd stop them if I were you. I have hormonal acne(PCOS to be exact) and Alesse just made my testosterone levels higher which caused me to have the worst acne breakout I had ever had in years. When I had asked my Endocrinologist about it, he said that some BCP's will do that depending on your hormone levels.

Alesse is one pill I will never go back onto. As for Tri-Cyclen, I've never used that pill. I did try Yasmin and while yes, it did clear up the acne, it gave me killer headaches and it made me feel very weak, especially on my left side so needless to say, I stopped that one too! The only BCP that ever worked great for me was Diane 35.

Calypso

What do you use now? I've just switched to Marvelon from Yasmin as yasmin was giving me pressure in head that left me feeling off balance all day. Kept skin clear and am hoping marvelon will too - Diannette also worked great for me with no side effects at all.

thanks

dizzyblonde

Calypso

What do you use now? I've just switched to Marvelon from Yasmin as yasmin was giving me pressure in head that left me feeling off balance all day. Kept skin clear and am hoping marvelon will too - Diannette also worked great for me with no side effects at all.

thanks

dizzyblonde

I'm currently not on a BCP. I'm just taking Spironolactone for my acne and it clears it up pretty good and it's great at getting rid of water retention!

I would love to go back onto Diane but all the pharmacies seem to sell now is CyEstra which is the generic version of it. I don't know why but the generic seems to make me bloat even more then the Diane did. Marvelon was suggested to me by my dermatologist but I just haven't tried it yet.

What do you think of Marvelon so far? From some of the people here, some say that it got rid of their acne and others said that although it didn't make it any better, it didn't make it any worse either.