Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JayQ

Right foods to eat

Since i have been suffering with my acne, i am afraid to try hardly any foods that i use to enjoy, pizza, burgers, etc without feeling that my acne will become worse. I always have fruits and veggies daily i.e (apple, banana, carrots, v8 fusion and v8 low sodium veggie drink) daily. At night i have some mixed vegetables and chicken strips or something like that. This is putting me way below my required calorie intake for the day. I am trying to stay away from dairy too. A lot of times im too depressed to eat cause i feel like when i do, i am breaking out. I am in need of what to eat daily that will be fine to get back to calorie intake. I am 5'9 and i use to weigh around 160lbs. I now weigh 141. Its getting pretty bad. I just dont know what i can eat plentyful of that will be ok. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Beans :D. If you can tolerate sour cream, go make some pinto beans or buy the precooked/dried refried beans then add some sour cream (one with a lot of cultures inside) and the combo is delicious. The sour cream helps combat the flatulence also.

You're getting fiber, protein, fat, and iron.

You don't mean fried chicken strips do you?

There's a pinned thread of food and recipes full of what to eat discussions. Right there at the top under important topics.

I am really struggling with this also, eating has become extremely depressing and I feel so limited in what I can eat, everything that I used to love is all off limits and I eat mostly fruits and vegetables and am terrified of most foods in fear of breaking out. I'm likely consuming 1000 calories a day if that. I'm already very small and skinny as is, weighing maybe 103-105 lbs now I weigh about 97-100 lbs at the end of the day and I'm guessing I'll only continue to drop more. I have no idea how others are able to sustain themselves while eating healthy and also consume a proper amount of calories. Most fruits and veggies have about 30 and under calories per serving then chicken is very low calorie also. How is one supposed to maintain a healthy weight when this is the majority of what you consume??

I am really struggling with this also, eating has become extremely depressing and I feel so limited in what I can eat, everything that I used to love is all off limits and I eat mostly fruits and vegetables and am terrified of most foods in fear of breaking out. I'm likely consuming 1000 calories a day if that. I'm already very small and skinny as is, weighing maybe 103-105 lbs now I weigh about 97-100 lbs at the end of the day and I'm guessing I'll only continue to drop more. I have no idea how others are able to sustain themselves while eating healthy and also consume a proper amount of calories. Most fruits and veggies have about 30 and under calories per serving then chicken is very low calorie also. How is one supposed to maintain a healthy weight when this is the majority of what you consume??

You don't need to make these dietary changes too quickly. Stressing out over your diet is never a good thing. Make these changes little by little. Instead of worrying about not eating too many carbs or not eating too many fats, i suggest you try this:

First, cut out all processed and fake foods. That includes cereal, dairy (unless it's not pasteurized), concentrated and pasteurized fruit juices, candy, fast food, soda pop, junk food, bread, margarine, refined vegetable oils, refined sugar, table salt, store-bought sauces, etc. You get the idea.

So, what can you eat then? Real and whole (and preferably organic) foods. Eat whatever fruits or veggies you enjoy. Freshly squeeze your own juices at home. For grains, go for steel-cut oats or rice. Use extra virgin olive oil for your salads and extra virgin coconut oil for cooking. Have some good quality organic meats and eggs or wild-caught fish. Have some nuts, if you enjoy them. Add some unrefined sea salt to your diet. Eat a lot of high fibre foods to keep full, like green beans for example. I highly recommend you steam or parboil most of your veggies and beans to neutralize any goitrogens, enzyme inhibitors, and anything else undesirable. The only veggie i don't steam or parboil is lettuce. Shock the veggies in cold water after steaming or boiling them.

If after this you still break out like before, consider the possibility that you're allergic or have a sensitivity to some foods you're eating. The top allergens are Milk, Eggs, Peanuts, Tree Nuts, Fish, Shellfish, Soy, and Wheat.

On top of these dietary changes, you should be getting enough exercise, adequate sleep, making an effort to eliminate stress, practice good hygiene, get plenty of sunshine for vitamin D3.

i found when i try to avoid so many of my "favorites" just so i won't break out i end up starving myself because i don't eat enough or can't find healthy enough options.

Not getting enough calories is probably worse, so never go hungry in your quest to avoid acne.

try green smoothies. they're easy, taste great, and great for you.

i usually try to follow a 80/20 rule.

eat healthy 80% of the time, eat what you want 20% of the time.

just don't go on a twinkies and french fry binge during that 20%!

Most fruits and veggies have about 30 and under calories per serving then chicken is very low calorie also. How is one supposed to maintain a healthy weight when this is the majority of what you consume??

By not limiting to just those and by eating plenty of them.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Food-and-...ce-t205099.html

Edit: I decided to add a more helpful response. Although the link above is by far the most helpful response you could get as this question has been asked and discussed hundreds of times before and that thread is full of links to those discussions which are full of food and recipe suggestions.

In addition, as you will find stated throughout the previous discussions, you first need to determine what you have intolerances for. Since you are already on a very restricted diet, you need to add foods one by one and watch for a reaction. Start by adding hypo-allergenic foods. There's a list in the previously mentioned thread. Then try some of the high caloric foods one at a time to see if you can add them to your diet. Try whole fat yogurt (with live probiotics of course), nuts and seeds.

In the meantime, drizzle some olive oil on your veggies to add calories.

Since i have been suffering with my acne, i am afraid to try hardly any foods that i use to enjoy, pizza, burgers, etc without feeling that my acne will become worse. I always have fruits and veggies daily i.e (apple, banana, carrots, v8 fusion and v8 low sodium veggie drink) daily. At night i have some mixed vegetables and chicken strips or something like that. This is putting me way below my required calorie intake for the day. I am trying to stay away from dairy too. A lot of times im too depressed to eat cause i feel like when i do, i am breaking out. I am in need of what to eat daily that will be fine to get back to calorie intake. I am 5'9 and i use to weigh around 160lbs. I now weigh 141. Its getting pretty bad. I just dont know what i can eat plentyful of that will be ok. Any suggestions? Thanks!

JayQ, I just started my diet over 3 weeks ago and I can understand that it can be very difficult at first. I've always ate whatever I wanted and having to watch what I eat and read labels is new to me.

This is my second time trying to eat a healthy diet. I know it will help my skin and my health so I'm not giving up this time.

I will admit that it is getting easier and easier to find foods that are good for me and satisfying. I realize that there are so many options and the easiest way is to explore and not be so hard on yourself when you eat something you aren't suppose to.

Here is what I had yesterday:

Breakfast:

2 apples

Green smoothie

Before I started my diet I used to have a big breakfast every morning with pancakes, eggs, bacon, etc. I know that eating this type of breakfast is pushing my digestive system to work very hard. In the morning I want to give my body extra time to clean out what I ate the day before. At first, I was really hungry in the morning but during my third week I didn't feel hungry in the morning.

Lunch:

Blueberries

Chicken

Tomato soup (homemade) with a some Gluten Free mini corn crispbread by ORGRAN

Walnuts

I really like the ORGRAN products. You can go online to see what they offer.

Dinner:

Brown Rice and Chicken (I slice the baked chicken and lightly fry it with olive oil and brown rice)

Tomato soup

Green smoothie

HOpe this helps. I wish you luck!

Thank you so much for your responses. Well here is what i usually have every day.

Breakfast : Banana or apple along with V8 Juice (vegetable) or fusion

Lunch: Healthy Choice Chunky Soup (vegetable beef, vegetable, or siloin buger vegetable) --- there sooo good.

Dinner: Tyson 100% All natural chicken strips or nuggets (baked in oven) along with frozen mixed vegetables.

*Note- Drink water throughout the day and with meals.

Occasional snacks- Ritz vegetable whole grain crackers, dried fruit mix, and chicken or turkey sandwich lunch meat on whole wheat bread.

Thank you so much for your responses. Well here is what i usually have every day.

Breakfast : Banana or apple along with V8 Juice (vegetable) or fusion

Lunch: Healthy Choice Chunky Soup (vegetable beef, vegetable, or siloin buger vegetable) --- there sooo good.

Dinner: Tyson 100% All natural chicken strips or nuggets (baked in oven) along with frozen mixed vegetables.

*Note- Drink water throughout the day and with meals.

Occasional snacks- Ritz vegetable whole grain crackers, dried fruit mix, and chicken or turkey sandwich lunch meat on whole wheat bread.

hey dude, the idea is to stick with whole foods and to only 'cheat' by eating something that is damn good. I think you are on the right track with diet, however don't be afraid to add in more meals if you are losing weight. Cook lots of meat and veg and pull out some steamed broccoli or use leftover chicken in salads or wraps and such so you can mix it up during the week. I personally can have a serving or two of dairy a day, and eggs are versatile and can be eaten for breakfast, lunch, dinner or dessert.

Don't be afraid to change it up and try new things! Try to keep energy levels stable and never binge eat (especially when trying new things). Get plenty of water, sleep and physical activity.

after avoiding alot of foods over the years & becoming sickly skinny & unhealthy looking. I went on accutane I was nearly denied that because my body weight was disgusting. After accutne I have gone back to eating what I want & have put on 10 kgs & I'm at my average weight. I re-introduced dairy into my diet. And allow myself to eat take away but balancing it out with fruit & veg. I'm alot healthier now luckily. Playing with your diet when you don't know what you are doing is dangerous.