Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm interested to see ways in which other people deal with their depression, I could use some inspiration. :whistle:

Basically I've been suffering from clinical depression for years, I'd started to get better, but I feel like the past few weeks have undone all of that and now I'm back to how I was before. To be honest I actually feel like I can't take feeling like this anymore. I've resorted to drug use and self-harm as a way of coping with my problem. I know neither of these are a good idea obviously, but they both do help. The drugs make me feel happy when it seems like nothing else can, and self-harm provides a 'release'.

:|

I have never been "clinically depressed" but I went through a period of time where I wanted to just crawl up in a corner and be gone for good.

I was bullied a lot in the fifth/sixth grade, so much to a point where I had to go to counseling. She didn't really help much - mainly because I didn't want to open up to her. I was too scared to tell her anything... I didn't want to feel rejected by her, too.

People would just randomly come up to me and call me fat or ugly. I remember a day in the fifth grade playing tag - I was "it" and a boy called me ugly just because I didn't tag him. I'd go home and cry myself to sleep most nights... I'd be afraid, scared; I'd look at myself in the mirror and tear myself up. It was the most horrible time of my life.

It took a lot of time, and that's all that helped me, to be honest. With the new school year that kinda helped too, it shed my past reputation and helped me become a better person. I know time may not be the answer for you, but it is definitely a key component.

A couple of friends taught me how selfish I was being for wanting to die - they mentioned to me all the people in this world who had no choice of leaving and how they could be back, spending time with their families and enjoying their lives, while I was sitting there hating mine.

So point - go out and live your life. Only you can make your life better, and only you can fix what goes wrong. Sometimes, we may not understand why things happen in the world, or why they're happening to us, but moping around won't fix it in all honesty. It's what you do to change it that matters. You have to work with what you got and make life what you want it to be.

Sometimes all it takes is a glance at the sky. I know that sounds so silly, but just go out there and lay in the grass, and look up at the sky. Think about the people who are doing the same in that exact moment. Think about all the people, living under this sky, with the clouds over head and the green land around you. Or at night, look at the stars, and sing a song. The world is so peaceful and quiet at night. :wub: But it won't work until you truly appreciate it.

Good luck. I'm sorry :comfort:

It's tough, I know. :(

i have been depressed for years as well. I dont know whether i would say that i actually do cope with it as I am still very much depressed today. I know what it means to be depressed and i do realize the severity of it as i have been basically as depressed as someone can be and still be alive.

I honestly just look forward to new music coming out from bands i like. Also, one time when i was considering something that depression often leads to, my parents simply said they loved me and they would really really prefer that i do not do that.

i guess these arent methods for coping with depression, but these are the reasons why my depression stays at depression and doesnt take that next step.

Well, a lot of people with clinical depression can have nutrient deficiencies. L- tyrosine supposedly works better than a lot of anti-D's. If your interested, send me a message and Ill send you a few more nutrition tips.

thanks for all the replies

Well, a lot of people with clinical depression can have nutrient deficiencies. L- tyrosine supposedly works better than a lot of anti-D's. If your interested, send me a message and Ill send you a few more nutrition tips.

I just got back on antidepressants about a month ago. I haven't been on them in a couple of years. I got real depressed a few months ago and tried to ride it out. No Way! Nothing even happened to make me depressed! I seriously have a chemical imbalance. It sucks, but hey the meds are really starting to work.

Glad that's working out for you :)

Not really for me though, I didn't like the way they made me feel.

I have an amazing friend, who helps me take almost everything easy :) For such reason, I will spend time with her whenever I'm being attacked by these monsters. She will then pamper my brain by making excellent jokes about anything and any people on earth :) This helps me forget my problem for a while until I face a mirror again :(

I can't stress this enough. Exercising is a great way to relieve depression. When I stop going to the gym and let myself go, depression starts to come around alot more. Getting yourself in shape boosts your confidence, it's a good motivator, and it naturally makes you feel better.

The other things I try to avoid doing are being myself with nothing to do for long periods of time. Depression usually hits me worst when I'm by myself and all I have is time to dwell on whatever is upsetting me.

Hopefully that helps a little, I know depression is horrible especially when you're already struggling with things like acne. The only way we can all get through it is to know there will be days ahead where you will be happy and glad to be alive.

I can't stress this enough. Exercising is a great way to relieve depression. When I stop going to the gym and let myself go, depression starts to come around alot more. Getting yourself in shape boosts your confidence, it's a good motivator, and it naturally makes you feel better.

The other things I try to avoid doing are being myself with nothing to do for long periods of time. Depression usually hits me worst when I'm by myself and all I have is time to dwell on whatever is upsetting me.

Hopefully that helps a little, I know depression is horrible especially when you're already struggling with things like acne. The only way we can all get through it is to know there will be days ahead where you will be happy and glad to be alive.

i was intending on joining the gym for summer (don't really have time when i'm at uni) but i'm working full time doing manual labour and by the time i get home at night, i'm exhausted.. going to the gym is the last thing i want to be doing at that point.

you're right about the being alone with nothing to do for long periods, that always makes my depression worse. i think that's why i was getting better - at uni i'm always with friends which obviously helps. now i'm back home for 3 months it's all seems to be going downhill.

I'm interested to see ways in which other people deal with their depression, I could use some inspiration. :whistle:

Basically I've been suffering from clinical depression for years, I'd started to get better, but I feel like the past few weeks have undone all of that and now I'm back to how I was before. To be honest I actually feel like I can't take feeling like this anymore. I've resorted to drug use and self-harm as a way of coping with my problem. I know neither of these are a good idea obviously, but they both do help. The drugs make me feel happy when it seems like nothing else can, and self-harm provides a 'release'.

You've probably already tried medications but please try more. Please also consider cognitive behavioral counseling. The combo of the two is a lifesaver for many...including me.

Having projects and plans and goals also helps me stay focused. I enjoy reupholstering furniture, minor carpentry/building projects, tiling, wall painting, faux paint techniques, etc, so there's always something I can do. I also sew. Find what you do well...and do it. :)

Start small: get out of bed and tell yourself you'll make yourself breakfast. Do it. Accomplishment! Set yourself small goals like that on a daily basis and realize that EACH one you meet is an accomplishment.

When you get off work, see if some of your coworkers (if you like them that is) would want to go get a bite to eat. (Not a drink, but food!) Try to find a group you could join that would help you become involved in something outside yourself. Volunteer with a local Habitat for Humanity for a few hours a week, or a shelter, or a soup kitchen, or something else where you can make a difference (if you want to, that is). There are also groups that meet just to have fun; check out the community pages of your local newspaper if there is such a thing; there are always groups that meet regularly, ALL sorts! Looking in my local paper, I see stamp collectors, vintage clothing afficionados, antique furniture collectors, coin collectors, theatre groups, improvisational theatre groups, women's groups, men's groups, and many more!

If you like reading, make a trip to a bookstore on your day off: pick one that allows one to sit and read there, or one that has a coffee shop. People watching can be a lot of fun.

I am so sorry you're feeling down again; I kind of thought that you were more down than you had been. I do hope you begin to feel better.

I'll tell you what helped to break me out of a decade long depression. I was at a breaking point; it was time to either kill myself or make some major changes. Whichever one it was, I was not going to live my life the way I had been living it any longer. Enough was enough.

I was fat and very unhappy so I ate better and exercised. I hated my appearance so I started making time in the morning to make myself look more appealling to myself. I regretted missing out on college so I enrolled and went! I hated the relationship I was in, so I got out of it. All of this was hard as hell to do on an every day basis and fucking scary, but it pushed me out of the rut. Like you, I took antidepressants on and off, but didn't like the thought of having to take them forever (kinda like acne and antibiotics).

Perhaps there are things you know need to change? The world isn't always nice. The people and events in it can be downright ugly. However, there are things about your life that only you can control, but you have to take the reigns. The other stuff that you can't control, accepting the things we can not change can make all the difference. :)

I hope you sort this out.

You've probably already tried medications but please try more. Please also consider cognitive behavioral counseling. The combo of the two is a lifesaver for many...including me.

Having projects and plans and goals also helps me stay focused. I enjoy reupholstering furniture, minor carpentry/building projects, tiling, wall painting, faux paint techniques, etc, so there's always something I can do. I also sew. Find what you do well...and do it. :)

Start small: get out of bed and tell yourself you'll make yourself breakfast. Do it. Accomplishment! Set yourself small goals like that on a daily basis and realize that EACH one you meet is an accomplishment.

When you get off work, see if some of your coworkers (if you like them that is) would want to go get a bite to eat. (Not a drink, but food!) Try to find a group you could join that would help you become involved in something outside yourself. Volunteer with a local Habitat for Humanity for a few hours a week, or a shelter, or a soup kitchen, or something else where you can make a difference (if you want to, that is). There are also groups that meet just to have fun; check out the community pages of your local newspaper if there is such a thing; there are always groups that meet regularly, ALL sorts! Looking in my local paper, I see stamp collectors, vintage clothing afficionados, antique furniture collectors, coin collectors, theatre groups, improvisational theatre groups, women's groups, men's groups, and many more!

If you like reading, make a trip to a bookstore on your day off: pick one that allows one to sit and read there, or one that has a coffee shop. People watching can be a lot of fun.

I am so sorry you're feeling down again; I kind of thought that you were more down than you had been. I do hope you begin to feel better.

Wynne :) I was happy to see you had replied, you're one of the few members who I actually remember/recognise when they make posts, you always have good advice and genuinely seem very caring in your posts. Plus you were the person to suggest makeup to me, you have no idea how much that has helped me with everything. Thank you. :)

I've actually booked an appointment with my GP, I'm not sure if there is much point though, as I don't want to go back on SSRI's, but I guess I could use advice from someone qualified. Plus I think I'm developing a bit of the problem with drug use - it's pretty much the only thing that gets me through my day at the moment. I'm not addicted or anything, but I don't want to stop, I will just feel worse about everything, but at the same time I know it's not good for me.

You know, making myself breakfast would actually feel like an accomplishment, I never do it, I just can't be bothered in the mornings. Maybe I will try tomorrow, haha.

I don't really have any proper friends at work - I've only been there just over 3 weeks and I'm leaving in less than 2, plus the majority of people there are a lot older than me. In the evenings when I get home from work I'm too tired to do anything if I'm honest - I just want to go to bed and sleep, but I try and hold out for a bit, because I know once I go to bed, the next thing I will be doing is waking up to go to work again.

Reading.. I've never been much of a reader, but it's something I want to get into, I borrowed a book to read off one of my friends but haven't even got round to starting it yet. I will though, at some point. I find books (from the few that I've read) can be a really food escape, you get caught up in it and forget about your own life and problems. I watch a lot of movies for the same reason, but I feel like books can be a lot stronger.

I'll tell you what helped to break me out of a decade long depression. I was at a breaking point; it was time to either kill myself or make some major changes. Whichever one it was, I was not going to live my life the way I had been living it any longer. Enough was enough.

I was fat and very unhappy so I ate better and exercised. I hated my appearance so I started making time in the morning to make myself look more appealling to myself. I regretted missing out on college so I enrolled and went! I hated the relationship I was in, so I got out of it. All of this was hard as hell to do on an every day basis and fucking scary, but it pushed me out of the rut. Like you, I took antidepressants on and off, but didn't like the thought of having to take them forever (kinda like acne and antibiotics).

Perhaps there are things you know need to change? The world isn't always nice. The people and events in it can be downright ugly. However, there are things about your life that only you can control, but you have to take the reigns. The other stuff that you can't control, accepting the things we can not change can make all the difference. :)

I hope you sort this out.

I'm glad to hear you changed what you weren't happy with and made a recovery from your depression. :)

There are some things that I can change, but there are other things which get me down that are out of my control and I can't stop. At the moment I think I feel worse because my new job is hard work and long hours, and seems to be all I do these days. Maybe when I have more time to myself when I finish I will be able to make some changes etc.

However, I think there is actually something wrong with me, it's not just me being unhappy about the way things are. Even when I'm perfectly happy with the way things are going in my life, I very rarely feel truly happy, the depression never seems to really go away completely.

ive never suffered from depression or anythin like that. i have been down though, and for me personally, if im down(usually from acne) i avoid mirrors, and i try and not be alone as much. i find it when im alone and have more time to think thats when i get more of the depressin thoughts.."why me" etc. i cant really comment too much on it only due to the fact i havent experienced it. i do think its preventable in some cases but thats just me. another thing too, i try and make up for what i lack. example my face isnt the clearest, so i try and have atleast a good physique. i do lots of pushups, situps, and pullups. i run too, so stayin in shape is a bit of confidence. and jsut put yourself around good people, be in a positive enviornment..your true friends will carry you out of it instead of lettin you get worse mentally. i hope i can atleast help you, and good luck my dude

i'll send you a pm.

anti-depressants did stop me feeling depressed when i took them in the past, but they just made me feel like a zombie with no emotion. :|

Since I'm kinda hypersensitive mentally (and physically of course, lol), sometimes I just wish that I could feel like a zombie with no emotion :cool:

i'll send you a pm.

anti-depressants did stop me feeling depressed when i took them in the past, but they just made me feel like a zombie with no emotion. :|

Since I'm kinda hypersensitive mentally (and physically of course, lol), sometimes I just wish that I could feel like a zombie with no emotion :cool:

it's not too fun. it taught me that it's better to feel negative emotions most of the time than to feel nothing at all.

Music is the treatment, I'm sure of it.

Just be courageous enough to try the cheerful happy music, instead of the angry sad ones.

I think the problem with depression is that it feels so right to have it... and just using your mind to do the opposite and be happy feels so wrong, I've tried to fake it, be happy and move on, but I failed, but then atleast I clicked on some good music and I started day dreaming again and that led me out of it.

Yeh I guess music can help, although generally I tend to be drawn to depressing music. :wall:

Today has kind of been a bad day.. I felt like complete shit at work until I eventually gave in and went to the toilets to dose up on stimulants. :shifty: But I kind of overdid it and ended making myself throw up shortly after. The sickness subsided after a while, but even then I didn't feel too good and it was quite obvious to everyone at work that something was wrong with me.

Drugs are starting to wear off now, I just ate my first meal of the day after being up for around 15 hours, and I have a splitting headache. Think I'm going to go take a hot bath then watch a DVD in bed.

...Wynne :) I was happy to see you had replied, you're one of the few members who I actually remember/recognise when they make posts, you always have good advice and genuinely seem very caring in your posts. Plus you were the person to suggest makeup to me, you have no idea how much that has helped me with everything. Thank you. :)

I've actually booked an appointment with my GP, I'm not sure if there is much point though, as I don't want to go back on SSRI's, but I guess I could use advice from someone qualified. Plus I think I'm developing a bit of the problem with drug use - it's pretty much the only thing that gets me through my day at the moment. I'm not addicted or anything, but I don't want to stop, I will just feel worse about everything, but at the same time I know it's not good for me.

You know, making myself breakfast would actually feel like an accomplishment, I never do it, I just can't be bothered in the mornings. Maybe I will try tomorrow, haha.

I don't really have any proper friends at work - I've only been there just over 3 weeks and I'm leaving in less than 2, plus the majority of people there are a lot older than me. In the evenings when I get home from work I'm too tired to do anything if I'm honest - I just want to go to bed and sleep, but I try and hold out for a bit, because I know once I go to bed, the next thing I will be doing is waking up to go to work again.

Reading.. I've never been much of a reader, but it's something I want to get into, I borrowed a book to read off one of my friends but haven't even got round to starting it yet. I will though, at some point. I find books (from the few that I've read) can be a really food escape, you get caught up in it and forget about your own life and problems. I watch a lot of movies for the same reason, but I feel like books can be a lot stronger.

Anything you do, try something new, new goals, whatever, each step will help.

I am glad you have set up an appointment with your GP. See also if you can find a counselor who specializes in cognitive behavioral therapy...it gives you tools and methods to IMMEDIATELY help.

Small goals, like: Read two-ten pages of the book each night before sleep, make breakfast in the morning. You don't have to do them all in one day, just meeting ONE goal a day will help you feel you've accomplished something.

When you go back to uni, please look into the counseling options there, too.

I started reading the book today, got more into it than I thought I would - I've read over 200 pages of it so far and might even read some more before I go to bed.

It was nice to just sit in the garden relaxing in the sun with a drink and a book. I should do stuff like that more often. When I was out there I got a text message from one of my friends saying she missed me and was feeling shit because of some bad MDMA she took. Kind of made me stop and think about how pathetic our lifestyles are and the involvement of drugs in them. I told her I'm going to cut back and that I think she should too. We'll see..

Anyway, I'm having second thoughts about seeing my GP, I do want to feel better, but at the same time I don't want to be stuck on anti-depressants feeling numb for the rest of my life.

I think maybe changing my diet could help me, my diet isn't terrible, but there's definitely room for improvement. I'm not sure if it will help my depression or not, but I have other issues that may be related to diet as well (constant hunger, lack of energy, insomnia, etc).

I have depression and I was suicidal and terrible depressed and the only thing that helps me is taking my medicine(50 milligrams of zoloft and 100 of seryquil). But I discovered the medicine isn't everything, I started going to a psychologist to talk and putting it all out on the table was such a releif and helped so much, the combinatioin of these two things with support of family and friends has gotten me to a great place in my life:)