Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Weenie Beenie

What has been working for me...

I never believed diet had anything to do with my acne. For the most part, I ate a pretty healthy diet anyway and assumed me having acne was just down to having bad luck.

Over the years, I have seen various derms and been prescribed various topicals and antibiotics. Hell, last year I was almost 100% clear using Differin and Bactrim every day. But this year I started breaking out again. The red, inflamed kind. But, I decided I didn't want to have to rely on any medication if I could help it, so I decided to take matters into my own hands.

I started using a cleanser containing SA and applying ACV to my face every night. I also decided to take another look at my diet. As I mentioned, I had a pretty healthy diet. I ate plenty of fruits and vegetables and drank plenty of water. I avoided fast food. I tried to limit my dairy intake. I switched to Rice Milk. I began to take fish oil pills after reading how many people on here had success with them. I was still having those damn breakouts though. Maybe some of the new things I was doing were helping a LITTLE BIT, but I don't know if that's just because I wanted to believe they were. I think I just liked the fact that it felt like I was doing something for my acne with the ACV and SA cleanser.

But then I realized there WAS one bad thing in my diet that I ate a lot of...

Refined Sugar.

Every morning for breakfast, I would have AT LEAST 2 full bowls of sugary cereal. For snacks I would have sugary cereal bars. After dinner, I always felt like I needed a dessert for some reason, and I would eat 2 cookies...or have a piece of cake...or whatever. If I wanted something before bed, I would have more sugary cereal. I guess I just assumed because my overall diet was healthy, it was no big deal that I was having so much sugar.

I started reading about the affect this can have on your insulin levels and in turn, your hormones. I decided to cut out all candy, cereal, cookies, desserts, etc...

That same day, I also read about the anti-inflammatory effects of Extra Virgin Olive Oil. I decided to eat 3 Tbsp's of it once a day on a piece of bread.

Almost instantly, these two things started to clear me up. Now, I don't know the science behind all of it. I still eat fruit (which obviously contains natural sugar) and I get a little bit of sugar from stuff my mom makes (in sauces and stuff) but NOWHERE NEAR as much as I used to have. In fact, some days, the only sugar I get at all is from fruit. But regardless, I haven't broken out in weeks since changing this. I also feel the EVOO is helping because if I DO get a pimple now (I've only had maybe 2 in the past 4 weeks) it's the small kind that goes away in a day. Not the inflamed kind anymore.

Also, I don't think dairy breaks me out, but I still try to limit my intake just in case. But I've had a little bit of dairy here and there over the past few weeks and for the most part I've been doing fine.

I still use the ACV topically and use the SA cleanser, but I think I am going to eliminate the ACV and switch to a more gentle cleanser because I was on these for about 2 months and my acne didn't go away. Then when I made the changes in my diet, I cleared up, so I'm not sure how effective these things are.

I'm not saying this is going to be a cure for everyone. I'm just sharing what has been working for me.

1) Eliminate as much refined sugar as possible.

2) Consume 3 Tbsp's of Extra Virgin Olive Oil every day.

I guess my point is....if you don't think diet has anything to do with your acne, take a closer look at everything you are eating and give elimination of certain things a try. Can't hurt anything.

Almost instantly, these two things started to clear me up. Now, I don't know the science behind all of it. I still eat fruit (which obviously contains natural sugar) and I get a little bit of sugar from stuff my mom makes (in sauces and stuff) but NOWHERE

It's about the glycemic impact of the entire meal. Fiber, fats and protein lower the glycemic load.

Anyway, congratulations. If you stay clear, be sure to add your story to the list of people who've cleared their skin via diet and lifestyle. There's a link in my signature.