Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lindeezy

Fix my face, Accutane!

After months of begging my mom to make an appointment and being depressed about my acne, I've finally taken the first step to eradicating it now that I'm 18! After waiting two month to get into the dermatologist, I've finally got the go on accutane- well, almost. Just one more month in this never-ending battle with acne, but it seems like it's taking forever.

I'm just glad I've got benza-clin and bactrim to keep me busy during this time. I'm so stoked and nervous and excited all at the same time. I just have to wait for the pregnancy test to come through, which for some reason I am oddly nervous about, and then wait for yet another preg. test. (WHAT IS WITH THESE PREGNANCY TESTS??) Whatev, candyman.. Whatev.

So far I've taken 3 bactrim pills and obviously haven't felt anything different. The benza-clin doesn't bother my skin, but I don't even know what to expect with it. Hopefully I can save the dryness for my accutane.

August 14th, 2009 is the day I will finally start my journey toward perfect skin! Yay!

Before I get too hopped up on this pre-accutane high, I should probably explain the condition of my acne (ew, I hate even the mention of that word), and maybe post some pictures.

I have what is probably hormonal acne that mainly is situated around my chin and jaw line. It isn't terrible, but it is persistent. I won't write out the laundry list, but I'm sure you guys understand.

I get a few on my temples, but very rarely on my cheeks.

Oookay! Well let's get this goin'! Anyone's recommendation or encouragement is highly valued.

Note: this is the only picture I actually have the courage to post as my acne is NOT that bad in it. I also have a lot of makeup on. In my course I'll be sure to take pictures. Hopefully.

post-106356-1247727070_thumb.jpg

post-106356-1247727070_thumb.jpg

Edited by lindeezy

Anyone know what time of the year is best to be on accutane?

In the winter it's dry and cold, but in the summer there is the potential of getting too much sun.

Luckily most of my time on accutane will be in fall, but it will be hard to stay out of the sun!

Our skin is really similar :P I'm sure Accutane will sort it out. Just be patient, take the side-effects as they come, and don't get too paranoid! Perhaps make a note of anything that you suffer now, so that when you start your course you can tell if it is due to the Accutane, or if it was pre-existing. (I saw Nikkia do that in her blog, and it sounded like a really good idea). If you get an initial breakout, just stay positive and see it through- remember that it'll be worth it in the long run. And if you are feeling down, vent on the forum. There are stacks of people in the same boat. I recommend telling your close friends, so that they know what's happening, and just let them know about the side-effects, and that if you break out you may want to hibernate and not see them for a while. Drink stacks of water, take the pill with a meal, and always have a chapstick handy. Good luck! :dance:

That's great that you finally get to go on Accutane! I completely understand your excitement for it. I'm sure it will work great for you!

A week or two before you start, it probably wouldn't hurt to drink extra water and use plenty of moisturizer and chapstick.

I've been on 5 days of benzaclin and antiobiotics and I think the cream is starting to dry out my face a little- thank goodness! At first it almost seemed more oily but now my actives have turned flaky which isn't exactly the best canvas for makeup. I can deal with that though.

Last night a friend suggested I try Kariva and it upset me a little bit. She has teriffic skin but it used to be horrible, so that makes me feel a little bit better. Haha, isn't that horrible? Anyway, I'm looking forward to not hearing about how my face looks great when it's temporarily cleared up.. It's nice but I know my face will just get a new line up of things in a week, so that's what makes it bittersweet.

@ wide_eyed

Thanks for the well wishes. I also saw her blog and thought it was a good idea. I feel like some of the regular accutane side effects happen to me without taking any medication, and I wonder if some people are just being over-sensitive. I guess I won't know until I take it! Lol I've never heard of Lucas' pawpaw ointment but I like the name! I have some olive oil chapstick that I really like so I guess I'll see if that works out for me.

Thanks for reading!

@ George's Sister

Yep, I've been trying to drink more water.. But I usually stick with the lemonade- can't be that bad, right? I'll be sure to keep the moisturizer handy. Thanks.

The paw paw ointment is divine, but I'm pretty sure that you can only get it in Aust & N.Z. Had you tried going on a birth control pill to sort out your skin? How are the pills that you're on now going? Not much longer until you start Accutane. Hang in there. It's always awkward when people bring up your skin, even when they are just trying to help by giving you advice. I think it's easier when you know they have suffered with the same problem in the past, and are clear now. At least they truly know what you're going through. Chin up.

When do you take your first pill? Also, I recommend Purpose facial cleanser and Nivea A Kiss of Moisture, which is this great chapstick.

Hey you guys,

I feel so lucky, like I'm being talked to by celebrities! Haha. I've been reading both of your logs learning about accutane and it's weird having you both actually commenting..

Anyway, my skin is doing okay. Not getting much better, but also not getting any worse. With the bactrim I've only really noticed my bacne getting better. I'm on birth control right now and have been for three months. The doctor gave me one that is supposedly good for acne-prone skin (ortho tricyclen- lo), and I thought it was funny she mentioned it since I had no intention of even getting it for my skin. Needless to say, it didn't clear up so now I'm getting on accutane.

MissAngie,

I'm going to start taking it on August 14th and I'm happy beyond belief! Thanks for the recommendations.

Right now I'm at my boyfriend's house. He's in the shower and I'm about to put more makeup on because my skin is HORRIBLE right now. I don't know if I'm getting an IB from the antibiotics, which I don't know is possible, or if they are just not working.

I have little pimples all over my nose which is kind of how the blackheads clear out, but there are probably more than 100. No makeup can hide these dreadful things. Luckily I have no painful cysts currently, but the ugly little ones hurt my feelings just as much when I look in the mirror. This is making me all the more hopeful for accutane because I'm thinking it's the only thing I've got going for me now.

Well, time to paint my face on. ; )

I feel bad you are having a hard time with your skin! I am surprised the bactrim is not working for you at least a little. These skin battles are the worst. I have to agree, they hurt my feelings, too. Do you think if acne understood how it hurts our feelings it would go away? I wish it could be reasoned with. I hope accutane works for you! Good luck!

I woke up this afternoon and my skin looked a lot better than yesterday. It's really strange how one night of sleep can change everything. Anyway, I never got to put my makeup on yesterday after I had sweat/swam it all off earlier because I left my bag in a friend's car. I had to go along with my boyfriend in public meeting his friend's mom and seeing his mom and brother along with countless other strangers. Needless to say I felt pretty crappy the whole day.

To top it off my boyfriend, Jake's, mom screamed at us because apparently he was supposed to help paint his house. How am I supposed to know that without him telling me? Apparently I'm on her "shit list" now. She doesn't like me and I have NO idea why. It doesn't help that I feel like a black sheep in their family of perfectly clear-skinned people.

So, on top of all of my skin problems that make me feel uncomfortable around his family, I now have to deal with her not liking me!

ld70- I wouldn't say it hasn't worked for me at all... The acne around my back and chest is almost completely gone, though I didn't have much of that to begin with. Also, I think it helped some of my cysts. Still though, it hasn't made a significant difference. Yes! Acne is so oblivious to my feelings, schedule, and appearance! Thanks for the support- have you done accutane?

hec89- I'm glad it is helping you- I can't wait for it to work for me as well!

keepsgettingbetter- Thanks so much. I hope the side effects aren't too bad for you. Good luck!

Today was interesting!

Had a family get together thing today.. All of my family was basically just in this one room and my sister and I were really bored and we were talking about the freckles on her face. She's literally the cutest 7 year old ever with bright red hair fair skin and a few freckles. We look nothing alike and I pointed it out that I didn't have freckles. Then she told me that indeed I do have freckles! Pink bumpy ones. Grrreat.

Anyway, can't get mad at her even though she ALWAYS points them out by saying something about how she hopes she won't catch my "rash," or something of the like.

Oh, and of course she said this all loud enough for people to hear but pretend not to. :clap:

Just got my blood drawn for accutane literally 4 minutes ago!

I'm so excited! I start in just 4 more days.

Anyway, the reason I could update this so quickly is because my mom is a phlebotomist and can draw my blood at home. I guess that will be convenient, but at the same time I don't like her getting mad at me because she forces me because I'm a crybaby. : (

Oh well! I'm done and I'm happy- except she had to poke me twice in both arms which HURT. Haha- I'm getting a new pair of jeans because she feels bad she stuck me twice. Yay me!

Owwie my arms hurt.

Time to go back to bed.

Three more days until I pick up my accutane! Today I'm signing up for iPledge.

I'm so thankful for this opportunity to get accutane and end this acne. Have a nice day everyone!

New cyst today but what the heck! I don't really care.

Monday is the day! I had my dermatologist appt yesterday to confirm that I would be going on it and I was so frustrated because my face was actually looking good! Funny, huh? I'm so glad that I'm actually starting it, though I'm a little afraid of the high dose. 80 mg a day to start and I weigh 140 and am 5'5. Maybe I'll be staying on that dose for a long time?

:dance:

Yea! Good luck. I started yesterday (friday) with 40mgs. She said she would like to get me to 60 if I can handle it. My goal is clear and very happy by Christmas (the only present I want this year!).

Yea! Good luck. I started yesterday (friday) with 40mgs. She said she would like to get me to 60 if I can handle it. My goal is clear and very happy by Christmas (the only present I want this year!).

Yay! That is my goal too. I want to be clear for all those winter holdays, including my birthday in January. It will be such a relief not having to worry about my skin during times that are supposed to be happy! Good luck! It will be interesting reading how you're doing since we're going on just three days apart. ( I was supposed to go on Friday, too, but there was something wrong with ipledge and scheduling stuff.) Anyway, good luck again!

Hey! Love the screenname (:

I was terrified that my dose was too high also, and flipped out and called my derm like 10 times. know the feeling! Just remember that derm's give you a dosage by height and weight, but also by acne severity. But if you're still worried about the dose, you should ask him/ her if you can 'work up' to 80 mg over time. Or even just take your pills every other day for the first two weeks so you can ease into it.

Buy lots of chapstick! (I recommend Aquaphor)

and an awesome moisturizer! (I recommend CeraVe)

and drink lots of water! (: