Notifications
Clear all

HELP! "plan b pill" induced acne

MemberMember
(@klp11289)

Posted : 07/15/2009 8:06 pm

Okay So let me start by saying i am SO upset right now... I FINALLY found my cure for candida related acne- in a high fat, low carb diet and my skin was just GORGEOUS until I screwed it up with synthetic hormones....

I had a "sex-capade" back in early june and kinda made a bad decision about not using any form of birth control..... And afterward i slightly freaked out about it and went and bought PLAN-B the emergency contraceptive pill, at the drugstore. Now the odd thing is, i have taken this pill before- probably 2-3 times a year for the last 3 years (i know...bad girl) and suffered almost no side effects. this time however was different. Within a week of properly taking the morning after pill my skin went BALLISTIC - i mean you have seen nothing like this. DEEP-ROOTED CYSTIC ACNE EVERYWHERE- my face, my neck, my chest, my back, all down my entire arms, even inflamed spots on my legs. Absolutely unbearable. As a positive side effect i also got horrendous pms cramps (i never get cramps normally), and i felt so angry/aggressive all the time.

Levonorgestrel is the progestin used, it says that this is one of my most "androgenic" (read:acne causing) hormones used in these pills. plus it had NO estrogen and it was a massive dose of hormones. its been over a month and its more under control but def not gone. Im also taking Ortho tri cyclen regular to control the androgens-only thing that helps the severity of the acne. also borage oil/cod liver oil & zinc to try to balance my hormones again.

Has this happened to any other ladies here?? I am SO afraid i permanently damaged my hormones levels! Can anyone give me advice as to how to control this? Im open to naturopathic ideas or drugs. I have never dealt with hormonal acne before.

MemberMember
(@jessi28)

Posted : 07/15/2009 10:16 pm

Okay So let me start by saying i am SO upset right now... I FINALLY found my cure for candida related acne- in a high fat, low carb diet and my skin was just GORGEOUS until I screwed it up with synthetic hormones....

I had a "sex-capade" back in early june and kinda made a bad decision about not using any form of birth control..... And afterward i slightly freaked out about it and went and bought PLAN-B the emergency contraceptive pill, at the drugstore. Now the odd thing is, i have taken this pill before- probably 2-3 times a year for the last 3 years (i know...bad girl) and suffered almost no side effects. this time however was different. Within a week of properly taking the morning after pill my skin went BALLISTIC - i mean you have seen nothing like this. DEEP-ROOTED CYSTIC ACNE EVERYWHERE- my face, my neck, my chest, my back, all down my entire arms, even inflamed spots on my legs. Absolutely unbearable. As a positive side effect i also got horrendous pms cramps (i never get cramps normally), and i felt so angry/aggressive all the time.

Levonorgestrel is the progestin used, it says that this is one of my most "androgenic" (read:acne causing) hormones used in these pills. plus it had NO estrogen and it was a massive dose of hormones. its been over a month and its more under control but def not gone. Im also taking Ortho tri cyclen regular to control the androgens-only thing that helps the severity of the acne. also borage oil/cod liver oil & zinc to try to balance my hormones again.

Has this happened to any other ladies here?? I am SO afraid i permanently damaged my hormones levels! Can anyone give me advice as to how to control this? Im open to naturopathic ideas or drugs. I have never dealt with hormonal acne before.

I've never taken emergency contraception but I was on Camila birth control for three months and it is a progesterone only pill which contained Levonorgestrel. It messed with my face pretty badly. I also got acne on my chest which has Never been a problem before. I got acne and more acne and more. I was really upset and I stopped taking it for 1 month now and I have noticed my skin is better but I am also using the regimen now which I think is playing a larger role in clearing up my skin. I hope your skin evens out!

MemberMember
(@klp11289)

Posted : 07/16/2009 11:29 am

I've never taken emergency contraception but I was on Camila birth control for three months and it is a progesterone only pill which contained Levonorgestrel. It messed with my face pretty badly. I also got acne on my chest which has Never been a problem before. I got acne and more acne and more. I was really upset and I stopped taking it for 1 month now and I have noticed my skin is better but I am also using the regimen now which I think is playing a larger role in clearing up my skin. I hope your skin evens out!

yeah that is the exact same ingredient...that stuff is awful!! I cant believe how bad this is. If it doesnt wear off i think ill cry.

MemberMember
(@nightmind)

Posted : 07/16/2009 6:24 pm

Wow, I just posted something in the hormonal treatments section about the exact same thing.

I am so sorry that you are in this situation too. I just took Plan B for the first time last Friday after having sex with my boyfriend and not having been careful enough with the condom (was the day after my period but wanted to take the morning after pill "just in case"). Prior to taking that stupid horrible pill, my skin also had been doing much better after doing a lot nutritionally/holistically, though I still am on Spironolactone to help with my skin's sensitivity to androgens.

I read about the acne side effect after I took Plan B, because I had noticed some unusual/worse breakouts right after taking it. I called my Dr.'s office and spoke with a nurse practitioner who said it does happen, and may take a few weeks to resolve (hope it doesn't last for months as it seemed to have done with some people online). I am devastated and pretty depressed, especially because I have a lot of serious body image issues and anxiety/depression anyway. I called the Plan B info line because of some other side effects (period-like bleeding and cramps a week and a half after my last one), and asked about the acne and the representative said in a pretty mechanical voice that that was not listed as one of the side effects. BULLSHIT.

I am not sure if this might help at all, but have you tried taking Evening Primrose Oil? I take 2 of the pills by Barlean's a day, and I think they helped my hormonal acne in general. Right now what I'm struggling with is one cyst forming on my right lower jaw, and other breakouts all over my upper lip and under my nose (that's where it really hurts, and where it has hurt in the past in smaller amounts when i have eaten foods I was sensitive to)

MemberMember
(@fillefrancaise)

Posted : 08/05/2011 3:20 pm

Wow it is a relief to hear I am not alone! I took the morning after pill seven months ago and about a month afterwards I got a horrible deep cystic acne which I thought was just a fluke. I had never had bad acne like that before. Ever since I have been getting regular deep scar leaving cystic acne and feel like I have someone else's skin. After wondering for months what has been causing this, I finally remembered taking that little pill months ago! Anyway, the pimples are slowing and I just got on birth control to calm things down. Anyway, don't despair girls! get on some birth control and things will be OK!

damn that morning after pill! No, damn condoms that break!!

MemberMember
(@omegaisjaded)

Posted : 08/05/2011 3:31 pm

If you don't want to use birth control pills I recommend getting spermicide treatment to use along with the condom,perhaps get a copper IUD(there's complications with these), be aware of what times you're most fertile (fertility awareness). It's recommend to use two types of birth control, and birth control pills are definitely something to consider. I do understand a lot of people here are against using hormonal treatments,though.

I've taken Plan B a long time go and did notice breakouts for a few weeks afterwards that were worse than usual.

MemberMember
(@mmebana)

Posted : 08/12/2011 6:38 pm

hi everyone,

this is my story, i started taking plan b jan 2011 and it is now aug 2011, within the eight months, i've take 7 plan bs...i know im the biggeeessttt idddiioottt in the whole world.

i took plan b before 2 times, but i was also on the pill, i had 2 accidents when i forgot to take the pill and needed to take it. i didnt break out tht much because the pill counteracted the effects.

but jan 2011 when i started taking plan without the pill...and my acne is worst than ive ever seen in my whole enttiree life. i have really big cystic ones, and leaving me reallly bad scars...

can anyone make suggestions on how to fix it? im supper depressed and hopeless

MemberMember
(@rarrrgh)

Posted : 05/18/2013 7:22 am

So ive been struggling with the worst breakout of my entire life and i was kind of thinking it was caused by the planB pill i took and now that im reading this im certain that was the cause. I took that pill about 6-7 weeks ago and ever since then my face has been hell. Has anyone found a way to ease this or will my body just have to find its own balance? :(