Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lannin

differin making blackheads worse

I have been using differin for about a week and a half and my blackheads are far more pronounced. I initially started differin to try and get rid of the blackheads so this is a big problem. Is this part of the IB, will it go away or is this how my face is going to react to differin and should I stop?

I have been using differin for about a week and a half and my blackheads are far more pronounced. I initially started differin to try and get rid of the blackheads so this is a big problem. Is this part of the IB, will it go away or is this how my face is going to react to differin and should I stop?

The way retinoids work is by increasing cell turnover, and they help 'push' clogs to the surface. So yeah, any blackheads you have will look worse for awhile as they work their way out. But that's what's happening: they're trying to come out (but DON'T try to squeeze them or anything, I know it's incredibly tempting, but your skin is getting thinner and more fragile and you might damage it and/or make things worse).

Check the stickies at the top of the board for a fuller explanation if you want ;)

The way retinoids work is by increasing cell turnover, and they help 'push' clogs to the surface. So yeah, any blackheads you have will look worse for awhile as they work their way out. But that's what's happening: they're trying to come out (but DON'T try to squeeze them or anything, I know it's incredibly tempting, but your skin is getting thinner and more fragile and you might damage it and/or make things worse).

Check the stickies at the top of the board for a fuller explanation if you want ;)

thanks! Do you know how long this will last?

thanks! Do you know how long this will last?

It can vary. Some things you can't control, but some you can. What I've found to help, and I think I've seen listed as helping other people:

Don't wash more than twice a day, and don't use anything that's too harsh/irritates your skin (like you might need to stay away from BP or SA for a bit). Things like that irritate your skin, and that can make it swell a teeny bit, which traps the clogs-and also the irritation makes new ones.

Don't use too much Differin and don't use it too frequently at first, it won't make it work any faster but it might turn you bright red and peely! Every other or even every third day at first is plenty.

If your skin is handling it well and you're up to using it daily without irritation, you can try gently exfoliating with a scrub with round beads OR a gentle AHA or SA product-although those are hard to find. Dan makes a good AHA. Paula's Choice (online) makes a good SA; the advantage to SA is that it works inside the pore, and it can be anti-inflammatory (it's related to aspirin), but some people find it irritating.

Wear a good sunscreen. The sun will thicken the top layer of your skin, which directly undoes what the Differin is trying to do, and makes it harder to shed the dead skin cells and the clogs. You're also more sensitive to sunburns. Look for one with avobenzone-Neutrogena's Dry Touch line is good and doesn't break out most people-unless you're sensitive to chemicals. In that case look for zinc oxide (Olay Complete Sensitive Skin is popular) or titanium dioxide.

And don't use a moisturizer unless you're dry, and then only where it's dry (this doesn't apply to the sunscreen-wear that any time you're outside). Moisturizer can make it more difficult for the dead cells to shed for some people, and you want them to shed so they can take the clogs with them :) If you do use one, use the lightest formula that keeps your skin hydrated-a serum instead of a lotion, a lotion instead of a cream, etc. Jojoba oil does well for some people too.

Okay, that was long! Sorry and I understand if you couldn't get through all of it!

Don't wash more than twice a day, and don't use anything that's too harsh/irritates your skin (like you might need to stay away from BP or SA for a bit). Things like that irritate your skin, and that can make it swell a teeny bit, which traps the clogs-and also the irritation makes new ones.

And don't use a moisturizer unless you're dry, and then only where it's dry (this doesn't apply to the sunscreen-wear that any time you're outside). Moisturizer can make it more difficult for the dead cells to shed for some people, and you want them to shed so they can take the clogs with them :) If you do use one, use the lightest formula that keeps your skin hydrated-a serum instead of a lotion, a lotion instead of a cream, etc. Jojoba oil does well for some people too.

Ok Ive been using duac on my off days because I thought it would help with any IB, is this making it worse? I thought it would help because the differin does help at first and SOMETHING needs to be working for my skin during the early periods... Im scared of using nothing but the differin at the start...

Second, I have really oily skin and I think using moisturizers just makes it worse, but Ive heard that ppl can be oily because they dont use moisturizers while on really drying products.... Ugh I just dont know what I should and shouldnt be doing.

Thanks for taking the time to write everything out for me, you have no idea how much I appreciate the advice. Ive gotten pretty discouraged...

Ok Ive been using duac on my off days because I thought it would help with any IB, is this making it worse? I thought it would help because the differin does help at first and SOMETHING needs to be working for my skin during the early periods... Im scared of using nothing but the differin at the start...

Second, I have really oily skin and I think using moisturizers just makes it worse, but Ive heard that ppl can be oily because they dont use moisturizers while on really drying products.... Ugh I just dont know what I should and shouldnt be doing.

Thanks for taking the time to write everything out for me, you have no idea how much I appreciate the advice. Ive gotten pretty discouraged...

Sorry, was out of town for a couple days!

The Duac might help, but it could irritate you right now too. If you really want to use it, just keep a close eye on the areas you put it on and if it gets too red or peely back down a bit. It might help with the IB, but remember that Duac is primarily antibacterial, so it mostly will prevent inflammatory breakouts, not blackheads.

It's likely that moisturizers would make your skin oilier if you use them when you don't need them. Generally, if the products dry out your skin, it's going to be dry! :lol: and if it's too dry, or starts peeling, then you can moisturize. I use the Retin-A gel and don't use moisturizer after it at night, but do use an SPF moisturizer during the day. Be careful with using harsh cleansers or astringents/toners, though. Drying your face out that way could make things worse in any of several ways. If you get too shiny, blotting papers are your friends. (Tissues, TP, paper towels... be creative! Hee... most types of paper will soak up oil, it's mostly a matter of making sure there's no lint and that they didn't take off any makeup you might be wearing).

I hope I made sense tonight, I've got a migraine :( but yeah. You're welcome!

hi i also use retina a at night but ive been slackin of so muc hthis month but i have been using it for 4 months and like i always seem to have blackehads erupting.. i mean shouldnt the IB be done with?! so i just staretd useing pualsa choice bha 1% gel and then ima use retin A at night.. do you think this is a good plan ? thank you.

Sorry, was out of town for a couple days!

The Duac might help, but it could irritate you right now too. If you really want to use it, just keep a close eye on the areas you put it on and if it gets too red or peely back down a bit. It might help with the IB, but remember that Duac is primarily antibacterial, so it mostly will prevent inflammatory breakouts, not blackheads.

It's likely that moisturizers would make your skin oilier if you use them when you don't need them. Generally, if the products dry out your skin, it's going to be dry! :lol: and if it's too dry, or starts peeling, then you can moisturize. I use the Retin-A gel and don't use moisturizer after it at night, but do use an SPF moisturizer during the day. Be careful with using harsh cleansers or astringents/toners, though. Drying your face out that way could make things worse in any of several ways. If you get too shiny, blotting papers are your friends. (Tissues, TP, paper towels... be creative! Hee... most types of paper will soak up oil, it's mostly a matter of making sure there's no lint and that they didn't take off any makeup you might be wearing).

I hope I made sense tonight, I've got a migraine :( but yeah. You're welcome!