Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gMARIAs

Starting the regimen - questions

*sigh* so, after a long time of being a strict anti-BP person, as it does age the skin and promote skin tumors, I simply cannot handle my holistic approach any longer. Diet and natural remedies aren't helping me anymore and I want relief - consistent relief considering my skin seems to have went from clear to broke out since warmer weather started. I want something to keep me clear all year around.

I just have a few questions about the regimen:

1. Does practically everyone get the initial breakout as outlined in week two or is this just something that only some people can expect and others not so much?

2. Am I guaranteed to have super red and flakey skin from the start or does it vary from person to person?

3. How long does it usually take to get Dan's BP via mail?

4. Is Complex 15 strong enough to keep me moisturized? It's the ONLY moisturizer that hasn't broken me out (I've used natural stuff like Jojoba and even Cetaphil) and I'd like to stick with it.

Also, can somebody tell me what kind of acne I have? Normally, the max zits on my face is usually 4-5. That's a bad day. But today, I have 6 active. None of them are super inflamed, and are probably about the half the size of a dime - two of them are actually pretty small and none really hurt - though I usually get a couple of those under my chin sometimes. I don't really get blackheads and only get deep, large or cystic ones very rarely. I know it isn't severe, but I'm not sure it's moderate or mild. Oh, and I usually almost ALWAYS have at least one or two small zits (at least since April)

Any other help, advice or hope would be nice. It's odd. Before, when my skin was HORRID, I got used to it and it didn't bug me. Then, using holistic and natural approaches, it cleared up from about December - early April. Now it's breaking out again and though it's not half as bad as it was before, it feels ten times worse :(

maria,

I hope that BP works well for you...I know it has for me. Now, to your questions:

1) In short, no. I didn't "purge" when I started the Regimen. The acne just came the same as it always had, but, with time, its lifespan decreased more and more. In truth, the BP doesn't in itself cause a breakout; it just brings out the acne that was already forming under you skin.

2) Yes, to a degree. It really depends on how sensitive your skin is. I have a super sensitive face and I've been dealing with flakiness since week 2 of the Regimen, though it's almost under control now. As for redness, I only dealt with that for like a week and no more. I think that just about everyone is guarenteed to experience some redness/flakiness, but for how long and how severe really depends upon your skin's sensitivity and the moisturizer that you use.

3) I live in Georgia and it took mine about four days to arrive via regular ground UPS.

4) I personally have never used Complex 15, so I don't know. I've heard some claim that it works just fine with jojoba oil, while others say it's just not strong enough. I would really recommend Dan's moisturizer myself. It is really light and, though it hasn't completely taken away flakes with me, I can tell that it would work perfectly for someone with less sensitive skin. Just be sure to take it easy on the BP to begin with. Start with less than 1/2 pump for the first week and gradually increase it over the course of a month. It's more important at first to get your skin adjusted to the BP rather than clear from acne.

Feel free to ask any more questions if you have them and good luck!

I appreciate that you actually responded as nobody else has :(

I think I'll try my Complex 15 for a while because my skin is sensitive and any moisturizer containing oil of ANY kind will cause me to break out. Jojoba oil is the devil to my skin.

I'm impatient, so maybe I can pay a little extra to get my stuff shipped faster. If my Complex 15 doesn't work, I'll try Dan's. Do the stickers come off? Because it's embarrassing enough having acne, let alone have your acne products advertised to anybody who walks into the bathroom as I don't really have any storage large enough for bottles like that except on the counter.

I hope like crazy that I don't purge. I wouldn't want to go to a job interview with a purging face.

I've used crap brands of BP in the past and yeah...it did make me slightly flakey but I basically never moisturized. Surely, moisture would help keep flakes at bay, considering my skin never got drastically flaky even though I never even used moisturizer. I guess I was wildly hoping I could avoid looking like crap for a short while, but I guess flakes look better than big red bumps.

Thanks

Although I've never tried, I'm sure the stickers would come off with some WD 40 and a little muscle. ;)

About the jojoba oil being the devil, I must warn you that Dan's contains a fairly high amount of it. Just something to consider.

Anways, hopefully the Complex will work just fine you.

Although I've never tried, I'm sure the stickers would come off with some WD 40 and a little muscle. ;)

About the jojoba oil being the devil, I must warn you that Dan's contains a fairly high amount of it. Just something to consider.

Anways, hopefully the Complex will work just fine you.

I think I have some WD 40 stashed under the sink. ;)

I didn't plan on using Dan's moisturizer because I know it contains jojoba oil. The only thing I plan on buying from the site is the treatment.

I actually have some goat's milk soap that I'm fond of. It doesn't contain fragrance and is meant for dry, sensitive skin. I know it says "NO SOAP" but this stuff is fairly natural and doesn't really dry my skin out. That, and it makes my skin feel A LOT cleaner than most "gentle" cleansers, like Cetaphil. However, if worse comes to worse, I still have my bottle of cetaphil in the shower that I pretty much never use. I can use it again, if need be for the regimen.

I've been doing a cheap "Regimen" over the weekend, applying some crappy 10% BP from wal-mart that I had laying around. I figured using a small amount of it would slowly help my skin adjust before starting Dan's Regimen. My complex 15 seems to be working alright on it, but then again, it isn't much BP, not the right kind of BP and it's only a couple of days into it. Hopefully, it'll work as time goes on.

Surprisingly enough, just using the generic brand has helped clear up 2 of my 6 bumps. Actually, there's only one active one left and I'm sure the others wouldn't be big red blemishes had I showed some self restraint at picking. (I gotta stop doin' that) but 2 of them are completely gone with no remaining red marks - the two I didn't mess with. Surely, that shows SOME promise for starting the actual regimen? Ah, and my skin is slightly sore from it, but nothing I can't handle.

I've used Complex 15 Face Cream. It's definitely a good moisturizer to use with the regimen, and since you already have had good luck with it, stick with it. Complex 15 Face Cream (not the lotion) is my second fave moisturizer after Dan's. When I'm away on short trips, I actually take the Complex 15 tube with me instead of Dan's moisturizer bottle because they're both good but the Complex 15 is more conveniently packaged.

I've used Complex 15 Face Cream. It's definitely a good moisturizer to use with the regimen, and since you already have had good luck with it, stick with it. Complex 15 Face Cream (not the lotion) is my second fave moisturizer after Dan's. When I'm away on short trips, I actually take the Complex 15 tube with me instead of Dan's moisturizer bottle because they're both good but the Complex 15 is more conveniently packaged.

Thanks! Good to know. I actually have the lotion - it was cheaper and actually got better reviews on my sites, but I doubt the cream will be much different aside from price. After I run out of my lotion, or if my skin gets too dry, I'll probably try out the face cream. Good to know I can stick with it.

what kind of acne do you have? is it brought on by hormones, or does acne run in your family? if it's genetics this acne is going to be a long struggle. Believe me I went the holistic route and I found it was not keeping as clear as using BP. I don't mind bp at all, yes it's a strong chemical, but it's been used for years and the formulations of bp have improved significantly. Don't worry about using bp, Dan has been doing it for 10+ years and his skin looks youthful. Have a little faith and alot patience and you'll see your skin improve in a few weeks :surprised: