Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
George's Sister

Change I can believe in.

Help me, Accutane. You're my only hope.

I'm 23 years old, female, and just started Accutane a few days ago. Up until now, I've probably taken every topical and oral acne medication that exists except Accutane. Ever since hitting puberty I've suffered from moderate cystic/nodular acne.

About a year ago, for reasons unknown to myself, my skin lurched uncontrollably into the severe cystic acne zone. I decided that no matter how miserable Accutane's side effects are, they can't be any worse than the emotional and physical misery I'm already going through.

For the first time since...a very long time, I feel hopeful. Like things might just change this time. Like maybe this will all finally be over, and I'll smile when I look in the mirror.

If you can give any encouragement or tips, I'd really appreciate it! :D

I plan on taking photos of my progress every two weeks. I've attached the first photo - this is pretty embarrassing! Agh my face!

post-104724-1247285282_thumb.jpg

post-104724-1247285282_thumb.jpg

I've never done Accutane, but I've heard a lot about it.

I wish you the best of luck with it, and that even though you are ready to go through the side effects, I hope you don't have too. And if you do, I hope they aren't as bad as you think.

I can't wait to see your progress. :]

You have nice hair, btw. o .o

I wish you the best of luck with it, and that even though you are ready to go through the side effects, I hope you don't have too. And if you do, I hope they aren't as bad as you think.

Thank you very much! I hope that the side effects aren't too tough on me either! People have told me so many horror stories...

Accutane will work wonders on you, It will clear you up when your done with it's course.

Honestly, don't worry about the side effects. Everyone worries about the stupid side effects cause the read stories about someone getting some disease, and that happens with 1 and 10,000 that take it.

Its like getting in a car, you may get in an accident... but if your smart, that odds aren't against you..

Same with accutane, as long as you drink LOTS of water, and keep your body and skin hydrated you will be fine.

Good luck to you, And trust me, It WILL work. just be patient

Thank you very much! I hope that the side effects aren't too tough on me either! People have told me so many horror stories...

I've heard them too. The only reason I wouldnt do accutane is because of the blood taking. I have a severe fright of needles.

I bet some of the stories are hyped up, and over exaggerated.

I would think they would be worth it though, for the finally clear skin.

-nodnod-

Thank you, I'm Nick! Your post has given me a lot of hope. I'll be sure to drink lots of water!

Camcorder, it does seem like the horror stories are repeated a lot more often than the success stories. But that's why we're here, right? I hope you find a solution to your acne that doesn't involve needles, if you haven't already.

exactly..

haha yeah, that was the only thing I didn't like about accutane, the bloodwork, but you get used to it.

Anyways to let you guys know, im honestly 100% clear after accutane and haven't 1 pimple in 4 months since i've been off.

and I started it with severe acne.

Yeah. I hope I find it too. Thanks!

If the whole Accutane course gets discouraging I would recommend watching accutane video blogs on youtube where you can actually see them progress on Accutane.

That'd keep me on Accutane, if I was having doubts.

It makes me really happy to see people with the same problems get over over them. n .n

Your story sounds similar to mine. How long are you going to be on Accutane and what is your dosage?

Hang in there and remember, you got lots of folks on this site who have your support!

Hello rede4bed! I like your screename.

Dosage: 60 mg.

Length: Um, I don't know, actually. I was so excited I forgot to ask. I'll ask during my next visit though.

Hi chicky. Good luck for your course. You're going to be fine! Don't think about the possible side-effects, because you'll start getting paranoid! I haven't had anything severe yet, just a few headaches if I'm not staying hydrated, and a bit of back pain when I was studying for hours on end. Keep living life normally, and smile. :)

I live in Australia, and I only have to get blood tests done once a month or so. I've been on Accutane for over a month now, and I don't see my derm for another three weeks, so really it will be almost two months from the initial blood tests to the second lot of testing. What is the testing routine like in the U.S?

Did you just start? If so, we started around the same time. I wish you the best of luck with Accutane. Looking forward to seeing your updated pictures after a few months of Accutane use, hopefully, this time with a smile on your face (:

Wide_eyed, thanks a bunch! Yes, in the US we have to get blood tested every month, before each visit with the derm. The regulations are extremely rigid.

Donn13, yep I just started! We can cheer each other on for the next few months.

I remember that you replied to my log awhile back, so I thought I would drop in and say hey. Glad to hear you finally got started on it and stuff :/

Don't let all of those side effect stories worry you, they really aren't that bad for the majority of people. If you use the right stuff and moisturize everything will be alright. Good luck!

I only started Accutane a few days ago, so I can't believe I'm already noticing some of the side effects. The skin around my chin is flaking and peeling away "as if recoiling in horror," as my husband put it. The corner of my mouth is also cracked.

But instead of getting me down, it's almost made me more excited as I see the Accutane do its thing. :)

I'm still pretty surprised that my skin is reacting so quickly. At least the discomfort reminds me to keep drinking lots of water.

Not much to report so far. Dry skin and lips are getting worse, and have caused me to convert to the religion of Carmex and Vaseline.

I have officially completed my first week, and that makes me realize how long these 5 months are going to be! I hope the dryness goes away after a month or two.

I wish I was put on Accutane a lot earlier. But we both got nice parents to convince(scare) us not to do so.. ::sigh:: But it's never too late! It's nice to see that you don't have scars. So, by the end, you'll look great! I'll still need scar treatments. Arrrg.

Operation_acne_free, I hope I don't have any scars! I don't think I have any of the icepick ones, but I have a lot of dark spots that I'm afraid will never go away without expensive laser treatment or something.

Today was the first day I had gone to a social event while in my current state of epidermal suckiness. It was a dinner party with friends. I had a good time, but I could tell that I was being a little quiet. I was, not completely consicously, avoiding calling attention to myself because of my flaking skin, my broken-out chin and cheeks, and my cracked lips which I slathered with chapstick every 15 minutes. I just feel like such a weirdo, being around smooth-skinned people to whom acne is a distant memory, like junior prom.

Hopefully these awkward days will be over soon.

Does anyone have any tips for improving dry lips? (Besides using lots of chapstick.)

Keep your chin up! Just use some kind of oil to help with the scarring.

Don't get too discouraged if you still have marks after using accutane- it slows the process of healing so your body will take care of those later.

Congrats on starting a new acne-free life! I'm starting mine in less than one month.

HEY!! we started accutane around the same time! im excited to see some1 who has started it with me..everyone else has either started months or even yrs before i have! im glad to know that there is someone i can compare symptoms and progress with!

I will definately be reading your blog!

good luck and i hope we both do well!!!

I started about the same time as you, although my first month is a baby does (30 mg, will probably up to 60 next). From what I've heard and so far what has worked for me, is some kind of cocoa butter chapstick followed by religious use of Aquaphor (to seal in the healing moisture from the other stuff.)

I know what you mean about awkward social events. I was in a wedding recently, followed by a job on a production shoot surrounded by gorgeously smooth-faced modelesque people. Pure torture.

Lebeck- yes, I am quickly learning the Way of the Aquaphor. I'm also interested in this Tea Tree Oil you mentioned in your log. Maybe I'll use some on my red spots once I'm through with this Accutane.