Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CF1200

Tazorac

I turn 45 today. Yup, I still suffer from mild, but stubborn acne with some light scars from my teen years. I've been using taz for about 6 weeks, but started very slow. Every second day only. Started with 5 min only. Added 5 min per day, now I'm up to 90 min and so far no bad peeling or redness. I have had 1 or 2 larger pimples recently, wondering if that's part of the IB or not. Anyways, I'm on holidays for a while so I'm going to ramp it up and start using it overnight, with moisturizer. Any adults close to my age use this stuff? Any advice? Did you experience a bad IB? If so, how long did it last? Thanks!

I turn 45 today. Yup, I still suffer from mild, but stubborn acne with some light scars from my teen years. I've been using taz for about 6 weeks, but started very slow. Every second day only. Started with 5 min only. Added 5 min per day, now I'm up to 90 min and so far no bad peeling or redness. I have had 1 or 2 larger pimples recently, wondering if that's part of the IB or not. Anyways, I'm on holidays for a while so I'm going to ramp it up and start using it overnight, with moisturizer. Any adults close to my age use this stuff? Any advice? Did you experience a bad IB? If so, how long did it last? Thanks!

I am 34 and have also been using tazorac for 6 weeks. I have been using it every night (entire night) since the beginning. I use cerva ve moistorizer before, wait 30 minutes and apply the tazorac. It burned and peeled a little the first week, but I have not had any problems since. I have, however, continued to have a "purging". I am also on doxycycline and spironolactone (50 mg). Any feedback from others using similar products? Thanks!

I'm 30 and tried Tazorac this last year. Some people love the retinoid products (Tazorac, Retin-A, etc). I just could not tolerate them. I was already on Benzaclin at the time. I had fairly good control but I started developing just 1-2 big cyst that left hyperpigementation marks. So my dermatologist added on Retin-A micro. I didn't help so he switched me to Tazorac. I was on it for 6-8 weeks. I started every other day for the first 1-2 weeks and then nightly with benzaclin in the morning. I just couldn't handle the redness and irritation, but most of all it left me really oily (although its supposed to have the opposite effect and decrease oil production). My new dermatologist told me there are just some people that have a bad reaction to the retinoids and just can't tolerate them well. So i guess the bottom line is that it's different for everyone and it seems that now that you are starting to use it more consistently you are experiencing the IB. It's supposed to last 2-6 weeks, but I'm not sure how that will translate in your case since you slowly titrated up. Hopefully yours will not last as long. Good luck.

I'm a little younger than you (26) but I thought I'd let you know my experience with Taz in case it would be helpful.

I used Taz when I was 17 years old and it was fantastic. I applied it every night after moisturizing, and used Benzaclin (topical antbiotic) and oral antibiotics during the day. I experienced the initial peeling and breakout, but after 3 or 4 months my skin was flawless and stayed that way for years.

More recently, my acne has returned. I thought I would try Taz again for my adult acne this past spring and it was WAY too strong for me. Again, I used it overnight after moisturizing. I broke out really bad and experienced peeling and irritation. I figured it was an initial breakout but after 8 weeks my skin continued to be irritated and broken out. I think it was just waaay too strong for my adult skin, which is much less oily and more sensitive than my skin as a teen.

Good luck with your Taz treatment though...perhaps I would've had more luck this past spring had I only applied as a mask each night as you are....

I'm a little younger than you (26) but I thought I'd let you know my experience with Taz in case it would be helpful.

I used Taz when I was 17 years old and it was fantastic. I applied it every night after moisturizing, and used Benzaclin (topical antbiotic) and oral antibiotics during the day. I experienced the initial peeling and breakout, but after 3 or 4 months my skin was flawless and stayed that way for years.

More recently, my acne has returned. I thought I would try Taz again for my adult acne this past spring and it was WAY too strong for me. Again, I used it overnight after moisturizing. I broke out really bad and experienced peeling and irritation. I figured it was an initial breakout but after 8 weeks my skin continued to be irritated and broken out. I think it was just waaay too strong for my adult skin, which is much less oily and more sensitive than my skin as a teen.

Good luck with your Taz treatment though...perhaps I would've had more luck this past spring had I only applied as a mask each night as you are....

Thanks. What did you mean "apply as a mask"? It's funny because my skin isn't red (except where bumps are located) and i don't peel. With the exception of the IB, I don't feel my skin is irritated with the tazorac. Some areas feel incredibly smooth actually. Is that what yours felt like when you were younger? Did you ever feel like the areas were moving? As strange as it sounds, it isn't in the same places - it is moving forward on jawline.

which kind of tazorac are you using

I tried the cream form and it just made my skin more oily and i think broke me out worst

I then tried the .1 percent gel and that worked much better

been using it for a couple years im 33 now

only thing that has consistently worked

accutane only stopped my problem for 6 months