Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gt_stang_2006

Eat what you want

Unless you are allergic to a certain food, then what you eat does NOT cause acne. Think about all the people who eat whatever the hell they want and get absolutely no acne.

Unless you are allergic to a certain food, then what you eat does NOT cause acne. Think about all the people who eat whatever the hell they want and get absolutely no acne.

This topic fails. Everyone is different, case closed.

Well no, everyone is NOT the same in how food can cause reactions in their body. This thread is a great example of this. You and the guy above do not have reactions caused by eating some foods(or you don't notice it) then there are the people who say they do get a reaction from 'trigger' foods. I really doubt the people in this section come here, make crap up and, post thread after thread about "trigger foods" just for the hell of it.

It depends on the person. You base this idea off of your own body's reactions(or lack of).

I don't think anyone can go one way or another on this. Everyone is different and so are our bodies and their reactions. It may effects some people a lot and none at all to others. I assume the best way to find out it to try new things. Though, I do know my stomach problems and a lot of my skin problems haven't acted up quite as bad since I got on supplements and became vegetarian, though generally stay to strict vegan diet. (vegetarian was more my morals than anything at first, vegan diet is more because I am allergic to dairy and decided to stop it, and very rarely do I eat eggs) I also rarely eat white carby or starchy things; flour, potatoes, cane sugar, etc. Life and human beings and their bodies and functions are complicated, no way to say much for sure that'd fit everyone. Would be easier if it was like that though! =)

I agree with the people that say everyone is different :shrug: Why do some people get diseases and others do not? Think about it. Saying that everyone is the same is like that. Why DON'T some people get acne after eating something that someone else breaks out from? It's because we're all built differently.

That's like saying... BP doesn't work for anyone, because people with clear skin don't have to use it.

And think of all the people who eat whatever the hell they want and don't get fat, or don't get cardiovascular disease. Think of all the people who smoke and don't get cancer. Would you say there is no link between eating and obesity, or high cholesterol diets and heart disease or smoking and lung cancer?

What I don't understand is why some people are so keen to insist that there's no diet-acne link, when so many of us have made the dietary changes and seen amazing results.

I can only hope that acne is a blessing in disguise, and that my slow change of diet isn't for nothing. Maybe it somehow is telling us we aren't doing something right, and by becoming healthier and finding out what each of our personal causes of acne are, that it will greatly benefit us many years down the road.

I agree with the original poster, eat what u want. I know for me eating a balanced diet while also splurging here and there does not have a negative or positive effect on acne.

I agree with the original poster, eat what u want. I know for me eating a balanced diet while also splurging here and there does not have a negative or positive effect on acne.

Then surely your advice should be 'Find what works for you, and do it' - which isn't the same as 'eat what you want' (unless you have already established that there is no link). Just because your diet apparently doesn't affect your acne, doesn't mean that's true for everyone. It has an incredible effect on mine - I went from cystic acne to having clear skin in two weeks just by cutting saturated fats (ie dairy, fatty meats, pastries, etc) from my diet. If someone has tried all the diet angles and none of them work, fine. Or if they just love their pies more than they love clear skin, also fine. But it's not logical to say that just because you haven't found a correlation, that there is no correlation for anyone else. There are too many stories from others on this board with the opposite experience for your single experience to override that.

Then surely your advice should be 'Find what works for you, and do it' - which isn't the same as 'eat what you want' (unless you have already established that there is no link). Just because your diet apparently doesn't affect your acne, doesn't mean that's true for everyone. It has an incredible effect on mine - I went from cystic acne to having clear skin in two weeks just by cutting saturated fats (ie dairy, fatty meats, pastries, etc) from my diet. If someone has tried all the diet angles and none of them work, fine. Or if they just love their pies more than they love clear skin, also fine. But it's not logical to say that just because you haven't found a correlation, that there is no correlation for anyone else. There are too many stories from others on this board with the opposite experience for your single experience to override that.

I agree with you 100%. If you look at my previous posts in various topics I think you will see that I totally support the idea of "finding out what works for you and what doesn't". It's amazing how some people (like myself) can pig out on snack cakes, red meat, ice-cream, etc. w/o it having any effect on my skin, and how other's swear by it that if they even touch dairy or eat gluten foods that they break out. It's truly fascinating how different people are.

Fine :) - that isn't what you said earlier though. You were advising everyone to eat what they like, because you personally have not found a correlation. For some (I think many, or even most) people 'eat what you like' will be very bad advice (if they want to avoid acne that is).

Thanks for the clarification :)

I am a walking example of how my diet affects my acne. If I was in a suitable state of mind to experiment then I would even do it for you now, as its very immediate.

If I drank a glass of cows milk this evening, I would have a very nasty breakout in the morning. Guaranteed!

Like people have said, we are all different. I am allergic to nuts- if I eat them I could die. In the same way if I eat diary food, my acne gets ALOT worse. If your diet doesnt effect you acne then you are lucky and I envy you. Its a right pain in the arse believe me!

Why do people come here and post these things? Especially when armed only with such an incredibly ignorant argument? I mean, their arguments are always ignorant, but really, that's all you got? Lame. And the response is too obvious to bother.

So? That's what I do. But that doesn't mean the insulin spiking diet habits I had before didn't lead to acne. And that my mostly good diet with some splurges doesn't keep me clear.

Anyway I do eat what I want. What I want is a good, anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet. Which provides far more important benefits than clear skin.

eat what you want if you have acne that is not aggrevated by foods....I strat eating cereal and here comes the pimples. Milk is a fucken no no for me.

YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT

garbage in....garbage out

if you eat junk and bad food....it may not show up as acne but there will be some negative health benefit at some point in time. cancer? heart disease? diabetes?

your call.

Nah I definitely disagree. I just got back from a three-week camp, and we stayed at a college so I was surrounded by french fries, burgers, a dessert table, and so much other crap at the cafeteria. Let's just say I let loose at camp, and I ate whatever I wanted instead of sticking to healthy foods. And I now I'm paying the price. Big time. My forehead has broken out badly, and it rarely breaks out this bad. And don't even get me started on my cheeks. So everyone's different, but diet definitely affects my acne.

Your overall state of health will dictate if you get acne or not, and whether or not you eat a diet that promotes the production of inflammatory prostaglandins or anti-inflammatory ones. Like others have said, if your body isn't designed with acne as its "Hey, wait! You're eating a bunch of crap and causing me a lot of stress!" then other problems will arise in the future.

Trying to defend eating an unhealthy diet is retarded anyways.

It only makes sense that diet would influence acne doesn't it? Simply because we put so much food into our bodies every day of our lives - a veritable chemistry set - every system in our bodies is connected and the skin is the biggest organ the body has. How could diet not be related to skin health?

However the fact remains that the symptomatic manifestation of acne is oily or flaky skin and blocked pores being colonised by p.acnes bacteria and the subsequent auto-immune response and inflammation. So it also makes sense that if you eliminate any of these factors medically or topically then acne could be cured or reduced without ever worrying what you eat. (I do a bit of both).

But I guess the holisitc argument is that if you put the right chemicals eg food, nutrients into your body then you might not have as many topical issues to begin with and you won't have to do so much firefighting with chemicals such as BP and accutane etc.

a friend of mine just got back from a trip to Cuba. (a very poor, "dirty" country)

I asked how everyone looked over there.

She said that none of the women wear makeup because they all have beautiful skin.

She also said the only people that are fat are the elderly.

Think about this...these people are dirt poor. They have no access to facial cleansers, Proactive, Benzoyl Peroxide, Dermatologists, weekly facials, etc.

Also, they are in the hot blistering sun almost all year.

I asked about their diet.

She said they eat tons of beans and rice. Lots of pork. Chicken. Eggs. Various veggies. Some fruit. and some seafood. When they fry stuff, they don't use processed vegetable oils, they use REAL, NATURAL chicken fat or pork fat.

She said they are so poor there that they grow/cultivate almost EVERYTHING.

Every meal is a home cooked meal with REAL FOOD! there just ARE NO FAST FOOD CHAINS.

Another thing. Since so few people own transportation...most people walk or bike where they need to go. In other words....they are physically active.

SO.....Compare this to America. (i'm speaking about the majority)

We eat tons of cheap, processed crap full of artificial junk and preservatives.

We slather chemicals on our face hoping it will fix our blemishes.

We don't lead physically active lives.

I'm not saying I wanna go live in Cuba....but maybe we should adopt some of their ways of life.

i think it depends on the severity of your acne. from what i have observed, if you are someone who just gets mild breakouts once in a while then yes perhaps much of that could be prevented by improving your diet.

if you are someone like me who dealth with very severe acne, a dietary change isnt really going to help. in my opinion, severe acne isnt caused by diet, stress etc., it is caused by biology pure and simple. i tested so many different diets in my time and i can honestly say that for me at least there was no difference between eating as healthy as possible and eating junk everyday. my acne was the same.