Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kozmik

going on Yaz without PMDD

Hi,

Before posting this, I flipped through a few months worth of posts and wasn't able to find an answer to my situation. So, I was hoping that someone could help me out. This is my case: I'm currently on ortho tri cyclen and have been on it for the past 5 years. The three main reasons I went on this BC was because (1) I'm sexually active but don't want to get pregnant (2) I wanted to control my acne (3) I wanted to regulate my period (I used to go months without a period and you can imagine how many pregnancy tests I took because of that...). Ortho tri cyclen was able to prevent pregnancy and regulate my period but hasn't done THAT much in the case of my acne. Now, I want to switch to a low dose pill because I don't want to take that many hormones if I don't have to. I also want to take a low dose pill that also helps me achieve my three goals. I've read that Yaz is FDA approved to help treat moderate acne so I was thinking of switching to it. When I read some reviews of this pill, I came across a lot of negative reviews saying that it can make you feel insane psychologically. But it also seems to work well with a lot pf girls with PMDD. So I was wondering if Yaz would more likely make me go mad since I don't have PMDD? I know everyone reacts differently to different pills but has anyone had a good experience with Yaz but doesn't have PMDD?

Thanks so much!

Hi,

Before posting this, I flipped through a few months worth of posts and wasn't able to find an answer to my situation. So, I was hoping that someone could help me out. This is my case: I'm currently on ortho tri cyclen and have been on it for the past 5 years. The three main reasons I went on this BC was because (1) I'm sexually active but don't want to get pregnant (2) I wanted to control my acne (3) I wanted to regulate my period (I used to go months without a period and you can imagine how many pregnancy tests I took because of that...). Ortho tri cyclen was able to prevent pregnancy and regulate my period but hasn't done THAT much in the case of my acne. Now, I want to switch to a low dose pill because I don't want to take that many hormones if I don't have to. I also want to take a low dose pill that also helps me achieve my three goals. I've read that Yaz is FDA approved to help treat moderate acne so I was thinking of switching to it. When I read some reviews of this pill, I came across a lot of negative reviews saying that it can make you feel insane psychologically. But it also seems to work well with a lot pf girls with PMDD. So I was wondering if Yaz would more likely make me go mad since I don't have PMDD? I know everyone reacts differently to different pills but has anyone had a good experience with Yaz but doesn't have PMDD?

Thanks so much!

I'm currently on Ortho Tri Cyclen as well and have been for almost 3 years. Up until 3 months ago I had NO problems with this pill....flawless skin....and now i'm breaking out horribly. I went to my Dr. and he recommended YAZ. I wanted to educate myself on it first and from the looks of it this is not a good pill (although ppl do react differently on different pills). I've heard horror stories about it.......and the whole 24 active pills versus only 4 inactive makes me shudder. I asked about the whole PMDD thing because I don't have that and wanted to know what would happen if I took a pill that's suppose to treat symptoms of PMDD..........I didn't get a clear answer. But through research it seems that if you take YAZ and don't have PMDD it can cause PMDD symptoms......not sure how......but girls without PMDD taking YAZ are the ones who are reporting that they are going "crazy", "psychological breakdowns", etc........there are also some scary symptoms with YAZ.

It kinda seems like we're in the same boat in regards to Ortho Tri Cyclen and wanting to switch BCPs. I'm going on Yasmin......I've heard great stuff and I have tons of friends on it who have no complaints. Comparing Yasmin to Ortho Tri Cyclen it is a lower dose hormone (but not as low as YAZ)........I believe OTC has 35mcg of ethinyl estrodial (or however you spell it) and Yasmin has 30mcg......YAZ has 20mcg but both YAZ and Yasmin have the same dosage of DRSP at 3mg.

I hope this kinda helps with your question although I don't have a definite answer for you.........I'd definitely proceed with caution lol........and maybe look into Yasmin as well.

:)

Jess

I switched from another BC pill and I took YAZ for about a year. It didn't do anything for me. It made my cramps worse (about as bad as they were before I started taking any BC pills) and it didn't improve my skin at all, which was disappointing because it's advertised for helping acne.

I'm went on BC when I was 13 because I had irregular and extremely painful periods (similar to pmdd). I tried YAZ for about 6 or 7 months, and not only did I gain like 10 lbs, my skin was worse and I had terrible mood swings. My cramps were also really bad again, just like SusieQ7. My Dr. Told me to give it about 6 months and then we could try something else if I still was doing badly, and then she put me on Ortho Tri Cyclen. I noticed immediate improvement in my mood, my skin, my symptoms, and I started losing weight. I've been on Ortho for about 2 years and it's perfect for me. I guess YAZ was just too strong in my case. Good luck!

Hi,

Its sooo hard to find a good birth control that works well with your body. Thats the thing though everyone reacts differently with different BC. Personally I've done very well on YAZ. I"ve had literally no side effects. With previous pills I"ve been an emotional basketcase, gained weight, etc. I was apprehensive to take it at first too after a friend was taking it and became very emotional. I've never been diagnosed with PMDD and I'm pretty sure I don't have it. Although I haven't really noticed any improvement in my skin, it hasn't gotten worse either. I was previously on nuva ring after hearing great reviews of it but then i developed horrible cystic acne acne : ( With any BC you just have to give your body time to get used to it (at least 3 months) too.