Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sunshine95

SO this is how my first dermo visit was.

I've done a ton and a half of research on acne scar repairmen for my forehead. I read about different peoples results, and what to possibly expect when visiting a dermatologist. I was completely prepared for him to suggest the most expensive laser surgery to try to make money off of me....because some people have said that was the case. I was prepared to tell him what I wanted done. I was prepared to stand firm and not get something done that wouldn't really end up helping. I was prepared..........I THOUGHT I was prepared. I wasn't.

I get there talk to two other ladies before finally my actual dermatologist enters. He's wearing something over his eyes to magnify my scars for a closer look, I'm guessing. He asks me a series of questions about my history with acne and scars. Then to my surprise he tells me he wouldn't really recommend any acne scar treatment, just acne treatment for a few minor pimples. I was so prepared for him to pick out the most expensive thing to make money off of me, and he recommended NOTHING, because he didn't think they were serious enough. Oh and I should probably add that my scars aren't just red dots that go away, I mean I have those, but I also have some indents.

THEN he asked questions about my life because he starts getting concerned about the possibility of depression. At that my mother was like "She is not depressed." Like it was the craziest idea ever. And I just sat there surprised...how could my mom who I live with not even consider the idea that I'm kinda at a slump at the moment and really am not that happy, and a man I just met so clearly see it. Well soon enough I started to cry, and....thats pretty much it. lol.

This is just a little warning to people who may be visiting a dermatologist in the near future...be prepared.

I've done a ton and a half of research on acne scar repairmen for my forehead. I read about different peoples results, and what to possibly expect when visiting a dermatologist. I was completely prepared for him to suggest the most expensive laser surgery to try to make money off of me....because some people have said that was the case. I was prepared to tell him what I wanted done. I was prepared to stand firm and not get something done that wouldn't really end up helping. I was prepared..........I THOUGHT I was prepared. I wasn't.

I get there talk to two other ladies before finally my actual dermatologist enters. He's wearing something over his eyes to magnify my scars for a closer look, I'm guessing. He asks me a series of questions about my history with acne and scars. Then to my surprise he tells me he wouldn't really recommend any acne scar treatment, just acne treatment for a few minor pimples. I was so prepared for him to pick out the most expensive thing to make money off of me, and he recommended NOTHING, because he didn't think they were serious enough. Oh and I should probably add that my scars aren't just red dots that go away, I mean I have those, but I also have some indents.

THEN he asked questions about my life because he starts getting concerned about the possibility of depression. At that my mother was like "She is not depressed." Like it was the craziest idea ever. And I just sat there surprised...how could my mom who I live with not even consider the idea that I'm kinda at a slump at the moment and really am not that happy, and a man I just met so clearly see it. Well soon enough I started to cry, and....thats pretty much it. lol.

This is just a little warning to people who may be visiting a dermatologist in the near future...be prepared.

Sounds like a very unique experience at the derm thats for sure. What I found interesting was that he was asking about your personal life (the one time I went that never happened). I'm sorry your mother didn't notice, I definitely know how that feels. I went through a horrible depression this last year, and I kept telling my mom I want help but in her words I "was just looking for attention. Everybody feels sad sometimes". So sad to have hallucinations of themselves jumping off buildings on a daily basis? Hmm... "attention" was apparently all I wanted. Then finally mom read my journal (bitter-sweet day) and then said I need help.Depressions aren't fun (obviously) but you should definitely tell your mom and take action before it gets worse.

My derm was very kind, and asked if I was facing depression. She took a great deal of interest in my emotional state, and that was very surprising.

Yeah, I guess they're kinda used to unhappy people, it just caught me off guard...lol, I was trying SOO hard not to cry. But idk I refuse to get anti-depressant medication..I feel like I just need to pray and get over my slump without drugs. And I am the type of person that would hide that kind of stuff because its weird, I want attention, but I really don't at the same time. I feel like there is no real reason for me to get in those moods that come and go....well anyways hope your doing better

It caught me off guard too. I've read plenty of negative dermatologist stories here, and I wasn't expecting a happy and cheerful derm on the day of my appointment.

I've tried anti-depressants in high school, but I didn't notice a difference. It became clear that if I wanted to change how I felt, I was going to have to start making some changes in my daily routine.

Yes, don't take anti-depression drugs as most of them will simply make you feel more depressed. It's not that the drugs aren't effective but it is in the psychological dimension of the act of taking it.

Well, kudos to your derm as he is a real professional that prioritize people over money. You better take his advice and if you really want to do something to your scars then talk about this to him/her and say that you really want to do something about it.

I hear that TCA peel is according to BigLui who is now free from this problem. Though before you do the peel make sure you eliminate first the cause of your persistent very mild acne.

I cried the first time I went to the derm, it was before I found this site and I'd never even mentioned the word acne around my family, or friends before then. So I'd never never let any of my feelings about how deeply depressed I was show.

When my derm asked me "Does it bother you?" I broke down and cried in his office, it was a little bit embarrassing but whatever.