Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JS7888

Whiteheads around laugh lines and mouth

I have been using BP %5 face wash about three times a day and clindamycin posphate gel. I first wash my face with aveeno ultra calming foaming cleanser, then BP, and then apply clindamycin .I dont usually use a moisturizer after washing my face. Only sometimes when I go out I'll use cetaphil daily facial moisturizer with spf. I noticed that ever since I started using the BP and clindamycin that every morning I wake up and theres whiteheads around my laughlines and mouth. Occasionally on my chin too. They are tiny white heads that are easy to pop. When they do they usually heal within a couple days. However I continue to get them daily. I wanted to know if anyone knew why I am constantly getting them. Could it be because the BP is making my skin really dry that the dead skin is causing my pores to get clogged, thus causing the whiteheads? Should I stop using the BP? Or maybe use it once or twice a week? Is that good enough to prevent acne? Anyone with advice or knowledge about this is really appreciated. Thank you

I have been using BP %5 face wash about three times a day and clindamycin posphate gel. I first wash my face with aveeno ultra calming foaming cleanser, then BP, and then apply clindamycin .I dont usually use a moisturizer after washing my face. Only sometimes when I go out I'll use cetaphil daily facial moisturizer with spf. I noticed that ever since I started using the BP and clindamycin that every morning I wake up and theres whiteheads around my laughlines and mouth. Occasionally on my chin too. They are tiny white heads that are easy to pop. When they do they usually heal within a couple days. However I continue to get them daily. I wanted to know if anyone knew why I am constantly getting them. Could it be because the BP is making my skin really dry that the dead skin is causing my pores to get clogged, thus causing the whiteheads? Should I stop using the BP? Or maybe use it once or twice a week? Is that good enough to prevent acne? Anyone with advice or knowledge about this is really appreciated. Thank you

It sounds like you are getting clogged pores from one of your products. If I had to wager a guess, I would say that the clindamycin is more likely to be causing the problem. The wash isn't on your skin that long (BTW - you may be washing your face too often with - 3 times a day with two different cleansers sounds a bit over the top to me). Depending on which brand of clindamycin you are using, it may have comedogenic ingredients. When I used it, it gave me little whiteheads all over my forehead and around my nose - places that didn't have much acne to begin with. I have heard others say that it clogged them too.

Thank you for taking the time to respond!... I am using the Greenstone Brand... As for the washing my face I know its a bit much... I think I'll try to limit the amount of times I wash my face.....I am slowly cutting back on the BP and it seems to help a little... My face isnt as dry.... I also tried an exfoliating face wash from aveeno to see if it helps with the clogged pores......I had a question though...What comes out of clogged pores?....Does it have to be solid plugs? because I've noticed that only clear fluid comes out and not anything solid. Is this normal for clogged pores? Thank you so much =)

Thank you for taking the time to respond!... I am using the Greenstone Brand... As for the washing my face I know its a bit much... I think I'll try to limit the amount of times I wash my face.....I am slowly cutting back on the BP and it seems to help a little... My face isnt as dry.... I also tried an exfoliating face wash from aveeno to see if it helps with the clogged pores......I had a question though...What comes out of clogged pores?....Does it have to be solid plugs? because I've noticed that only clear fluid comes out and not anything solid. Is this normal for clogged pores? Thank you so much =)

Greenstone was the brand that clogged my skin. It might be the main cause of your problems. You might want to think about adding a product that will help exfoliate the skin and unclog the pores. Something like mandelic, salicylic or glycolic acid might be good. Or an over the counter or prescription retinoid. BP and clindamycin are probably both working to kill the bacteria on your skin (so, you might be getting less inflamed pimples). The clindamycin won't do anything for the noninflamed clogged pores. BP can help with this, but the cleanser you are using probably isn't a strong enough product for the BP to unclog the pores.

It may be that the clogged pore is deeper under the skin, and you are just seeing the fluid or pus emerging at the surface. Do you pop or drain them? Do they tend to come back in the same places?

Its also possible that you have folliculitis. you might want to search the board for it and read some of the posts.

At first I thought it was folliculitis but I went to my regular doctor and he said it looks like just whiteheads since they pop easily and usually go away fast. However they do seem to come back, never in the exact same place, but in the same areas. I usually prick the top and they drain a little fluid. They usually heal after I put the clindamycin on them so he said it probably isnt an infection. I've researched folliculitis and its really hard to tell if thats what I have. I trust my doctor when he says its just whiteheads. Does folliculitis reoccur in the exact same spots?