Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dimsumWONDER

Bar of soap as a cleanser, bad idea?

Hi well my mom and grandma (my grandma is the one who uses it) suggest me to use this Kandesn beauty bar as a cleanser. Also, I'm a guy if that matters.

I looked around the Internet for some info because I'm skeptical of using a bar of soap as a cleanser and I found on the SunRider site that this is listed under Body Care. My skin is quite oily and is pretty acne prone, also with some red marks (I can't tell if there's any scarring).

The ingredients include: sodium cocoyl isethionate (which I heard isn't too great for the face), cetearyl alcohol, hydrogenated castor oil, zea mays (corn) starch, cocamidopropyl betaine, glycerin, PEG-14M, titatnium dioxide, lactic acid, disodium EDTA, fragrance/parfum.

I'm about to try it for today since I my as well seeing how the other things I have tried don't work, but I wouldn't mind some opinions on this bar of soap....on my face

Moved to the General Acne Products board.

The following two links are to websites that list comedogenic ingredients. You can research the ingredients in your product(s) and determine if any might be problematic. The second link is to a PDF so if your computer is old or cranky, your computer might freeze.

http://www.zerozits.com/Articles/acnedetect.htm#inglist

http://facerealityskincare.com/img/Pore%20...Skin%20Care.pdf

You can also find a list of gentle cleansers that are recommended for acne-prone skin here.

if its ph balanced and doesnt contain harsh chemicals than u should be alright... im using one that is working really well for me its called natural beauty cleansing bar its organic and ph balanced

Try Canus unscented goat's milk soap. It's worked wonders for me.

Goat's milk has a pH close to that of human skin, so it sort of helps to balance pH levels without tons of extra additives like the soap you mentioned. Also, fresh goat's milk being the dominant ingredient, milk contains lactic acid, which can help to remove dead skin cells. This stuff also prevents my skin from drying out too bad.

If you want a soap, I'd really try using something more natural. Probably a lot less likely to break you out

If you want a soap, I'd really try using something more natural. Probably a lot less likely to break you out

I agree.

I use Trader Joe's Tea Tree Oil soap, it has worked really well for me. It's got a short list of ingredients and it's natural. I love it.

Here are the ingredients:

Sodium Palmate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Water, Glycerin, Tea Tree Oil, Sodium Chloride, Pentasodium Pentetate.

Thanks for the replies. If my current soap bar doesn't work then I'll try out the Trader Joe's Tea Tree Oil soap. Right now my current soap bar is working pretty well. I'm combining it with an astringent and moisturizer also from Kandesn and it's somewhat making my red marks/acne appear lighter/disappear...knock on wood.

Guest missyjean130

I personally prefer liquid because I'm a bit scared of contamination. You should see how often I wash my pillow case =P