Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest missyjean130

Does benzoyl peroxide interfere with healing tissue?

Guest missyjean130

I know one of the mods here said hydrogen peroxide destroyed healing tissue...would it be the same for benzoyl peroxide?

Of course,I know it's irritating.

IMHO, I would say sort of yes. While I know it slowed the healing, hyperpigmentation, caused lingering redness/darkness, and can't say for certain that it causes deep scars. Thank goodness the effects of month long BP use has started to reverse after 5 days.

I've since found a safer and better alternative to killing acne bacteria-Hibiclens.

I'm giving the Regime a fair trial but I do think you're on to something with this. I've noticed the oilier parts of my face can tolerate BP in greater amounts and longer while the dry parts get so irritated it's pretty much counterproductive in treating the acne since irritation is one of the biggest culprits in the first place.

I've thought before that someone with oilier skin could tolerate BP over a longer period with less adverse effects...because since BP is lipid soluable it acts on the oils....but in someone with dry skin, BP goes straight to the cells and starts oxidizing them...kind of like if you keep a cut covered and moist it will heal much faster (not exposed to oxygen)....but if you keep your cut open and keep taking the scab off and exposing it and drying it out, it takes a much longer time to heal and often cracks and bleeds again in your body's attempt to cover the wound...why else would our skin often need a low oxygen environment to repair itself...perhaps people with oilier skin can counteract the effects of BP somewhat..I don't really know but that is just a guess.

If BP doesn't work as an everyday treatment, I'd still use it every one in a while, it feels great when used intermittantly, like an oxygen peel...makes your skin feel really clean, like those proactive commercials where the BP goes into the pores and the bacteria is killed and the pore sort of smokes/steams when it happens lol. But Dan's BP is the best quality I've ever tried.